XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:29 am 

i am trying to fill out a form for an India visa.
It's a pain in the you know what.
52.9 esr Firefox doesn't work - the non-robot captcha thing instructs me to upgrade my browser.

Safari works, but I hate it - and can't figure out how to do some of the steps there (though by unblocking pop-ups I have gotten a bit further along)

Chrome seemed like my last option. When I go here,
https://www.google.com/chrome/ - which I got to by clicking the button described thusly on Chrome site:
"Install Chrome on Mac
Download the installation file."

I can't make the download happen.
Is there something wrong with me? with Chrome?

Still on el cap, but may update one mac to HS quicker than intended and install the newer (non esr??? OH, I hate to have to do this) Firefox there just to get this done.

Suggestions?

Any thoughts on issues with Chrome - should I stay away from it? or from Safari more?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:12 am 

Whenever I've had captcha trouble, Safari usually gets me through it--one of the few times I use Safari.

Link to Indian visa site?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:52 am 

Mrs H wrote:

Any thoughts on issues with Chrome - should I stay away from it? or from Safari more?

I'm responding on the basis of my personal experience as a non-professional computer user. I think all of the built in and added safety mechanisms to FF come at a price. I have more difficulty routinely than I had in the past. I still use FireFox (version 61.0.2) because I want that added security and the ability to add more if I so desire. It is however, not always convenient and sometimes does not play well with every website (I guess that's by design eh?). Anyway, I keep copies of both Safari and Chrome handy for those times that I feel like I'm in a safe arena but still Fire Fox seems to not allow what I presume is routine and otherwise safe operation. In those instances I use Safari or sometimes I have to use Chrome. I only use them for those times when Fire Fox seems bound and determined not to allow me to accomplish a given task. At that point I guess I assume responsibility for making certain, to the extent possible, it is a safe trustworthy site.

Youtube Video on downloading & installing Google Chrome from within Safari.

Last edited by db5owat on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:00 am 

Thanks WZZZ and db5owat (you posted as I was writing this long response and an answer for WZZZ)

WZZZ wrote:
...Link to Indian visa site?

I do the same with captcha and go to Safari, but read on to see why that won't work - and all the rest of the issues to boot!

EDIT to ADD - I downloaded Chrome by way of Safari and installed it on the iMac. So far so good - we'll see if I can complete the form this way. Read the rest for it's entertainment value as you enjoy Mrs H getting more and more frustrated.

It begins here: https://www.in.ckgs.us/

Although we have no plans to go to India, we are filling out the crazy bureaucratic India visa application forms. We just got our new 10 year passport and the India Visa is for 10 years so it makes sense to do it now. The Indian Government wins the prize for the most annoying of forms ever.

Before we even get to the Gov't site we have to go through the outsourcing company's site - link above (Cox and King). There they say that Safari can cause trouble with printing the form, which you have to do. But our Firefox wasn't working on captcha, so I tried Safari anyway.

I began yesterday and got through the first page on the first phase and stopped and got a Temporary ID number to finish completion of the application as they suggested and I saved what I did which should next send me over to the Gov’t site to fill out the visa application.

The Temp number & our Passport number didn’t work on Firefox to bring us back to our partly filled out application. It just kept going in circles (I thought once I was past captcha I could try Firefox - no joy). So, I tired the temp ID on Safari and it didn't work their either, but maybe there is a limit to the number of attempts (I sort of recall I read 3 tries and you are out)

So, I have to start all over again and do the whole thing in the 1.5 hour time limit - from Cox and King outsourcing company -> Gov't form and back to outsourcing. I can't use Firefox (captcha) and C&K caution about issues with Safari. For any browser, C&K say you have to turn off ad-blockers, and pop-up blockers and all the other security steps I have in place.

Why am I putting us through all of this? We want to return to India at some time, so now is the time to do this - but...

And once we get it all filled in, we have to hope they don’t lose our passports and do get them back to us some time before November when we need them to go back to Japan.

There are 2 major threads on TripAdvisor complaining about various aspects of the C&K site - with about 100 pages and 1000 posts with issues of one sort or another. I was prepared for all of those problems, but not the captcha thing preventing me from using Firefox in the first place (which the C&K site suggests using! or Chrome or Explorer, just not Safari!)

So - Chrome?
I have an old copy installed on the traveling MBP - I'm thinking this afternoon to try to update that since I can't make a Chrome download work on the iMac - I don't know why. But I worry, is Chrome secure?? I have no choice I guess...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:59 pm 

So long as Chrome is up to date its secure. Currently they support 10.9 and up. Which is why Firefox dropped support for older OSes, whatever Google does Firefox does a little while later. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:08 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
So long as Chrome is up to date its secure. Currently they support 10.9 and up. Which is why Firefox dropped support for older OSes, whatever Google does Firefox does a little while later. :roll:

Thanks MB.

I used Chrome successfully to fill out the visa form. There were lots of captchas along the way so it's good I used it.
The forms were a real pain, no fun to fill out.

I checked about Chrome updates and all I could find was that it updates automatically - you have no option to do it manually and it does it only on opening the app (not whenever a new update appears)
Do you know something I don't know about this?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:26 am 

Chrome normally updates automatically. The only way to not let it update is to install it from a non-admin account. Then it'll prompt you to install the update service (and you can choose not to do so).

However you really want to let Chrome update. The only thing that happens if you don't is that Chrome gets infected. I spend at least a couple hours each week clearing things out of Chrome on systems that aren't automatically updated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:03 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:

However you really want to let Chrome update. The only thing that happens if you don't is that Chrome gets infected...

Thanks MB.

It's not that I didn't want Chrome to update, I was trying to find out how it happens, if it happens.

I guess checking the version that's loaded will tell me if it has been done (if I know what version is current)

I've left Chrome without any adblocker and script blocker (as in noscript) - I don't even know if I can install those in Chrome. I use uBlock origin now on Firefox, but need help on updating that to the newer esr - please see my other question. ;)

I ran into trouble with the visa application for India when any blockers were on - esp pop-up blockers, since you had to get from one site to the gov't of India site and they had to make it happen.

Ah, well. Once I'm finished with the visa - and tracking on it the gov't site, I'll try to make it more secure by installing what I can find.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:59 pm 

There is a process that runs at startup and periodically on its own schedule to check for updates to Chrome and then updates the application if one is available.

The absolute worst thing that happens is that if you're super-impatient and want to load Chrome instantly after starting up and logging in it may return an error (if it's started updating) or fail to update (if it hasn't started yet). The former is why the super-impatient people I interact with don't have Chrome set to auto-update. Why they can't just go off and check their mail or run Photoshop or get a cup of coffee for the 1-2 minutes it takes to update is my question. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:17 am 

Sometimes I find security features such as NoScript, ad blockers, even an extension I have in one of the profiles i occasionally run which prevents images from being downloaded unless I want them to be downloaded, can all interfere with captchas.