XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:53 am 

Will try to get to this when I can. In the meantime you should know that the FF 60.2 and 62 released yesterday fix serious vulnerabilities. Until WF is patched for those, or until I hear otherwise, I'm only using the FF 60.2esr. So don't see any urgency about getting WF running right now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:59 am 

WZZZ wrote:
...I'm only using the FF 60.2esr. So don't see any urgency about getting WF running right now.

Thanks very much for the heads up.
I often wait a day or so when an update is announced, your warning got me going asap.
I'm getting ready to install Ff60.2esr right now.
I'm going off line and taking screen shots of the prefs in noscript hoping they will help me figure out the noscript for the new Firefox.

You don't happen to have a tutorial lying around for that do you? (As you did for the NoScript settings for the version I'm running now)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:34 am 

Several links at noscript.net with instructions for using NoScript 10 versions. Not sure how up to date they are, but at least a starting point. The first 2 are written by contributors. Third one is by Maone, but seems dated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:55 am 

Up and running - have to figure out noscript - but at least 60 kept the old extensions and offered me a chance to update - nothing showed up as legacy (aka you lose)

Not sure what I am seeing with noscript on the toolbar - I hope it's activated since I do see numbers in teh orange box (1 for this site) I'll have to spend some time looking at your links.

This is unfamiliar - do you have it? Do you know if it's necessary?

I had trouble figuring out how to get to "allow" on noscript so I could upload the attachment. Obviously I did.
Attachment:
current plugins.jpg [78.56 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:01 pm 

I can't make Google work - it produces a search with the items found but clicking on any of them doesn't go anywhere.

Starting new thread about that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:55 pm 

Sorry, can't get to either Mac right now to investigate and help. Close to 90F where either of those is located. 98F outside. Staying in one room that has AC, and using iPad, which isn't much help. Tmw suposed to be better. Don't have any idea about the google thing, except to suggest you have a look at preferences>search engines and make sure google is set there. Also just try quitting and restarting FF.

Also with Ff closed try copying over/replacing places.sqlite (bookmarks) in the new FF from the 52esr.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:13 pm 

restart didn't help.
Installed 60 on Mr H's MBP and it has the same issue.

Google is set in prefs as search engine.
We tried both options in search bar pref - neither works.
I started a separate thread about this and did explain what I see as the problem, I just don't know the solution.
https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8379

History and bookmarks work fine for getting us somewhere - but a new search we have to copy the result from google and paste into the search bar. Otherwise, it just won't go anywhere.
Weather was miserable yesterday - 93° high with humiity and 105 feels like. Overnight 78 - and we don't have a safe room with AC!
Better today.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:05 am 

Quote:
Using your numbers - the profile folder I'm emptying from the WF install is the one you point to - labeled p14wjxmv.WF2 - with your red arrow.
I am NOT removing that folder - it's the contents of that folder that I'm removing?
I am keeping the folder p14wjxmv.WF2 which lives inside the Profiles folder (just as a similar one does in Firefox) and poplulating it with the contents of my Firefox similarly located folder which I have duplicated onto my desktop? As with the sample you show, my items begin with a folder ABE, followed by (as yours does) adblock plus (which is disabled, but not deleted - I use uBlock Origin, which I hope I still will be able to once)

Yes to all that. Should move over everything, including uBlock. But since it's based on the 56, not the 52, should give more options for recent versions of your addons. Note: if you use Stylish, stay away from any version after v3. Banned by Mozilla for data mining its users. Except for NoScript, and uMatrix I tend to use all versions of addons I was using in the 52, as in if it ain't broken. Or before you try out any newer versions make sure you have a backup of the current profile.

Also, good news, looking like Alex, the WF developer is getting to the security patches quickly this time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comme ... have_been/

Get WF 56.2.2 here (wait for sec patch in few days)

https://storage-waterfox.netdna-ssl.com ... 0Setup.dmg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:06 pm 

Thanks WZZZ.
We are now up and running on 60esr, but I will install WF too - just waiting for word from you here that it is patched and ready to go.

I do need to take a break from browser installs after the anxiety over Google issues with Ff 60.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:10 am 

WZZZ wrote:
Also, good news, looking like Alex, the WF developer is getting to the security patches quickly this time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comme ... have_been/

Get WF 56.2.2 here (wait for sec patch in few days)

https://storage-waterfox.netdna-ssl.com ... 0Setup.dmg

How do you know when WF is behind Firefox in updates?

I assume if Ff comes out with an update and WF doesn't, you stop using WF until it does??

I want to install WF onto Mr H's MBP - Ff60 works fine on Google now for him, but Google maps is slow on Ff and he has been toggling between Ff and Safari for maps. If there are no more security updates for El Cap (are there??) he probably should stop using Safari? I'm hoping WF will fill in and work for that (and be a good substitute for Ff as well) I didn't bother to try the install until I hear from you about this "(wait for sec patch in few days)"

I downloaded 56.2.3 and assume that is the patch. I will install that following your instructions later on today.

Thanks as always!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:52 am 

Quote:

When FF 60esr gets a regular update or out of schedule patch. Yeah, the 52.6.3 is the one.

Quote:
I assume if Ff comes out with an update and WF doesn't, you stop using WF until it does??

Usually, but might still use it occasionally, depending on the severity of the vulnerabilities. Someone elsewhere whose judgement I trust still uses WF unpatched because he thinks NoScript will protect. Not sure how much ultimate trust I would place in NS. Guess it depends on the nature of the vulnerability. The last one was something about an exploitable "use after free" crash, marked by Mozilla as severe or critical--not sure how NS would protect against that. Since I generally don't know enough, I stop using WF, at least for the most part, until it's patched.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:16 am 

WZZZ wrote:
Quote:

When FF 60esr gets a regular update or out of schedule patch. Yeah, the 52.6.3 is the one....

56.2.3 ;) ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:21 am 

Oops, 56.2.3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:52 am 

Quote:

New FF60.2.1 is out. Patched vulnerabilities don't look all that serious. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... sa2018-23/

Don't think this will prevent me from using WF until patches arrive.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:33 am 

Yes, I got the nag this morning.
I am doing backups of the macs now and then I'll do the Ff update.
I've waited to do Wf until I did these backups, but I'll put that on Mr H's MBP.
He's still using Safari but only for Google maps which is painfully deadly slow on the new Ff, which he uses for everything else.
It works fine on my Ff.

I still haven't done the HS test - but I like your idea of installing it on a HD external first and seeing what works.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:20 pm 

Thank you WZZZ!

Followed your instruction and Waterfox is now happily installed on my iMac for testing. Then I'll put it on Mr H's MBP. Then I'll add the recent bookmarks that weren't in the old saved copy of the profile from the 52v esr Firefox.

One question about add-ons.

I see this on the add-ons tool manager page:
Attachment:
add-on check waterfox.jpg
add-on check waterfox.jpg [ 17.01 KiB | Viewed 611 times ]

I assume I can/should enable it?
And then what?
Is it OK to update? I'm not sure since you said "Note, all your FF add ons will be marked "legacy." This is normal."
Should they remain as legacy but be updated or are they as far as they can go?

Mostly worried about noscript here - otherwise my add-ons are few.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:32 pm 

No don't enable it. OK to leave it like that. Normal that all addons are marked legacy--just ignore that. But do update NoScript to v5.1.8.7 if not already. Also probably best not to update any other addons, except maybe uBlock. If they were working OK in the 52esr, just leave them, even if you are nagged to update.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:27 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
No don't enable it. OK to leave it like that.

OK - glad I asked before doing anything stupid.

WZZZ wrote:
Normal that all addons are marked legacy--just ignore that. But do update NoScript to v5.1.8.7 if not already. Also probably best not to update any other addons, except maybe uBlock. If they were working OK in the 52esr, just leave them, even if you are nagged to update.

NoScript is at 5.1.8.4 so I'll follow your advice and update.
Should I do this in the future - or just stop here?

Same with uBlock - update as updates become available? Right now I'm running 1.16.20 and I do see there is an update available.
Sounds like you are saying it's OK to go ahead and do that?

I don't exactly know what the result is if you don't do the add-on updates - do they break or are just not as effective or worse?

I have many disabled add-ons and I don't know why I just don't delete them.
I also have some mystery ones - many disabled a few not.
If I take a screen shot later on, can you please offer some advice on these (both for Firefox and WF)?

Nothing is labeled Legacy in WF that i can see.
In Firefox the only one listed as legacy is "Check for Updates in Help menu" and that was automatically disabled when I moved up in the Firefox esr world to 60.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:09 am 

Mrs H wrote:

NoScript is at 5.1.8.4 so I'll follow your advice and update.
Should I do this in the future - or just stop here?

Same with uBlock - update as updates become available? Right now I'm running 1.16.20 and I do see there is an update available.
Sounds like you are saying it's OK to go ahead and do that?

I don't exactly know what the result is if you don't do the add-on updates - do they break or are just not as effective or worse?

I have many disabled add-ons and I don't know why I just don't delete them.
I also have some mystery ones - many disabled a few not.
If I take a screen shot later on, can you please offer some advice on these (both for Firefox and WF)?

Nothing is labeled Legacy in WF that i can see.
In Firefox the only one listed as legacy is "Check for Updates in Help menu" and that was automatically disabled when I moved up in the Firefox esr world to 60.

--Re. NoScript, as far as I know the 5.1.8.7 will be the last.

--I don't use it, but based on my experience with uMatrix, also by developer gorhill, I see no reason not to update ublock. His uMatrix updates usually add something of value, or don't break anything earlier. As for updating other addons, I basically feel that unless it adds something of real value: "if it ain't broke...." I have several Legacy addons that I prefer in their current state not updated, Form History Control, Ghostery, and Stylish (earlier version 2.1.1 that Mozilla didn't pull because outfit that bought it after later versions released was stealing users' data--replaced now in FF by Stylus.)

But if you do want to try out an update, be certain you have a backup of your profile to restore, if that update does something you don't like. Generally, nothing bad happens if you stay with an addon without updating.

Furthermore, another reason to have a profile backup is that Mozilla is in the process of removing all the older Legacy addons, so if you want to find an older addon, it will soon become impossible. See https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2018/08 ... x-add-ons/ That said, Waterfox will in some future version incorporate an archive of all the older ones. No expected date for that however. Can be found now at https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases as an addon, but requires a bit of fiddling to get it working. Haven't tried yet myself.

>>Nothing is labeled Legacy in WF that i can see.

You don't see this?

I can look at a screenshot of your addons, but only you know why you installed them in the first place, and as for your disabled WF addons, unless you're 100% sure you'll never want one of them again, I'd keep them around just in case, since they will no longer be available from Mozilla.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:33 am 

WZZZ wrote:
--Re. NoScript, as far as I know the 5.1.8.7 will be the last.

OK - good to know.
The NS I'm using with the 60esr Firefox is 10x, but that's the NS whose appearance and use is not as user friendly to say the least!

WZZZ wrote:
...be certain you have a backup of your profile to restore, if that update does something you don't like. Generally, nothing bad happens if you stay with an addon without updating.

Furthermore, another reason to have a profile backup is that Mozilla is in the process of removing all the older Legacy addons, so if you want to find an older addon, it will soon become impossible...

Thanks.
I keep backup copies of each profile in a separate folder from app support. When I do a Firefox (& WF for Mr H now) update - before and after updating anything I make a profile backup. And of course on my numerous HD external backups there's one more profile copy.

I noticed when I installed WF before opening it, there was nothing in app support. It did offer the opportunity to import from ... Firefox, Safari(?) I can't remember the choices, but I said no and went your route of copying the Profile copy from 52esr and it worked just fine.
WZZZ wrote:
You don't see this?

I can look at a screenshot of your addons, but only you know why you installed them in the first place, and as for your disabled WF addons, unless you're 100% sure you'll never want one of them again, I'd keep them around just in case, since they will no longer be available from Mozilla.

No, I see what I show here.
Attachment:
WF extensions.jpg [142.74 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Attachment:
waterfox plugins.jpg [136.02 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

The yellow LEGACY as on your screen shot is not there.
I know what all the extensions are - I did disable Calomel since it gave some weird readings on what I consider trusted sites (like my ISP!). Perhaps I might enable it again. I also thought it might be slowing things down when Ff was running slow at 52x.

The plugins are the mysteries. I think I disabled the ones that are disabled as a test and saw no ill effect for doing so and left them that way - I don't know from where they arrived. The two still enabled are still enabled because ... I don't know why and don't know where they came from and didn't test or search. Don't know if they are good, bad, benign or dangerous.

Thanks again,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:22 am 

Yeah, OK to disable Calomel, no longer supported. I only keep it around because animated gifs, which I generally hate and have no use for, can be toggled off/on from prefs>annoyances. No idea why your extensions aren't showing as Legacy and mine are. You might want to ask here, if you are interested in pursuing this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/

Also, hadn't ever tried before, but hitting the Enable button for addon compatibility checking does nothing here. Must be that some setting in about:config overrides that button.

Not sure about your plugins. Could disable them and re-enable if and when you hit something that requires one. All of mine are disabled.

EDIT: actually, looking again seeing that not all my addons are marked Legacy. Some, e.g., Adblock Plus 3.3.1, which were updated more recently are missing that label. But the NoScript 5.1.8.7 is marked Legacy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:20 am 

Thank WZZZ as always for your helpful answers and for checking stuff out for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:38 am 

:)