XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:42 am 

Not something I have any experience of or ever bothered with. These bookmarksbackups .jsonlz4 are apparently compressed .json files. No idea what to do with them or what benefit there is if you copy that missing one over to the 54. Maybe MB will know.

See EDIT below.

But the simplest thing to get all the 56 bookmarks over to the 54, including any that are missing there (and don't think there should be a compatibility issue, but just to be sure, make a backup first of the 54 as is now) would be just to copy over and replace the places.sqlite file from the 56 to the 54.
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 1.32.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 1.32.59 PM.png [ 116.85 KiB | Viewed 24 times ]

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 1.37.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 1.37.09 PM.png [ 49.16 KiB | Viewed 24 times ]

EDIT: There is this, however. But don't see why you would want to go to all the trouble, when simply copying over places.sqlite should do the trick.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... om-backups

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:06 am 

I would move as little over from 56 as possible. Backups are just backups, you don't need them unless the sqlite databases get corrupt and you need to restore from the backup. Since you have a whole copy of 54 and 56 profile you're worlds ahead of what the backup folder exists for.

Interesting note, the latest release of TenFourFox exposed some issues with my old profile so I created a new one. :roll: Two steps forward, one step back...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:24 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I would move as little over from 56 as possible. Backups are just backups, you don't need them unless the sqlite databases get corrupt and you need to restore from the backup. Since you have a whole copy of 54 and 56 profile you're worlds ahead of what the backup folder exists for.

I think she was referencing just the bookmarkbackups folder, the only backups folder I'm seeing in my 52ESR Profile.

And if there are any bookmarks missing in the 54 which are present in the 56, don't see what harm there would be in moving over just the 56 places.sqlite, especially with a backup of the 54 Profile before doing this. And besides, I don't see why moving over just the places.sqlite from the 56 would introduce any corruption to the 54.

However, I think Mrs H already said that there shouldn't be any missing bookmarks, since the FF on this machine hadn't been used since the 54 or 55, I believe. So maybe all this is moot. She'll have to confirm all this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:48 am 

WZZZ wrote:
...However, I think Mrs H already said that there shouldn't be any missing bookmarks, since the FF on this machine hadn't been used since the 54 or 55, I believe. So maybe all this is moot. She'll have to confirm all this.

Confirmed.

I checked the actual day when I duplicated that Profile and it was a month after the last bookmark backup.
Nothing had been done online with Ff or bookmarks since the profile copy was made.

Things are good!
Thank you again.