XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:40 am 

Just got an email that I never asked for and it got me thinking-

How many email accounts would I have to open in order to sell the addresses to advertisers and actually make a decent amount of money?

It seems to me that someone who knows what s/he is doing could easily create 1000s of real addresses and never check them. Why not?

Is there a catch to this that I don't see? Could we use this method to fund this board? Or retire?

Why shouldn't we / I make money off of the goobers buying this stuff?

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:55 pm 

I used to take great pleasure in stuffing links sent in phishing emails full of useless data. What? A message from my bank? Well sure, I guess today I'm Tom Smith, residing at 11908 Main Street, Schnectady, NY... but then the phishing emails stopped being just information gatherers and turned into attack sites that actively try to infect your computer, at which point clicking the link isn't fun anymore.

I usually create one-off email addresses for websites so I know exactly which site resold my address.

I don't think there's much money to be made in terms of information, since it's sold for small amounts in large quantity, since everyone knows most of the addresses they're buying are going to be worthless. And criminals don't even buy addresses, they just steal them...

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:52 pm 
Master

Generally 1¢ - 50¢ per account, depending on the provider and verification level. Social media accounts/YouTube accounts tend to be more expensive. You won't retire to the Caribbean on this money unless it's permanently, over the edge of a fishing boat with a cinder block tied to your feet. (I wouldn't trust the company you'd need to keep in this business.)

I haven't kept up with pricing because this isn't really a market I'm interested in except as a crude measure of the security and relative utility of accounts from different email providers. Yahoo! accounts, for example, are cheap. In fact they used to be, and probably remain, so much cheaper than other accounts that I genuinely wondered if there were serious flaws in the security of the back-end management systems at Yahoo!. (As it turned out, there were, but it's not clear whether or not that had any influence on the alarmingly low prices for bulk accounts -- it could just be that Yahoo! doesn't give a damn about bots registering tens of thousands of phony accounts through the normal front-end interface).

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:53 pm 
Master

As for the site, funding isn't a problem at the moment since although some members are broke, others aren't, so from the site's perspective it all works out. Plus this is a very inexpensive site to maintain at status quo levels.
What's peculiar is that while being broke tends to take all your time, so does not being broke. :fishsmack:

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:54 am 

How much can I make selling my own information?
It depends. If it is just clicks - 2 cents, but if you are a celebrity and it is on video, you could make some real money with the right agent.

Edit:
The expansion of data mining extends further with Google adding CR card data tracking. This is an 11 minute conversation.
General conversation about Google data collecting