XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:45 pm 

We just recently got home safely from Japan. Still jet-lagged.

Then I read this link from a pop-up from Mozilla:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-osx

I can update my iMac to Mavericks (and beyond) once I get additional RAM (I'm contacting a local computer guru to make a house call)
but what about Mr H's MBP. It's a 2007 MPB with minimal RAM (and he loves his old iPhoto) and I don't know if it's worth it to add RAM or if his aged laptop should just live out its live as is. If he stays with Snow and the old Firefox esr 45.9.0 is it just like when we were using Tiger and the rest of the mac world was using Snow - or is it much worse? Alternatives??? The link suggests ESR as option 2 in its solutions, but that too is no longer supported

I can hardly think about computers whilst worrying about the fate of the country, but then this pop-up popped up...

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:06 am 

If he wants to preserve his iPhoto version running on 10.6 because of familiarity and indeed who wants to adapt their content to 'new improved' versions when the old one is humming along sweetly, he could keep his hardware as it is and not go online, and get an additional device like an iPad for internet stuff.
I have a good copy of 10.6 that is still very useful but I never take it online anymore. Though BD has a good counter argument to this: in that old software is so obsolete it is no longer on anyone's radar.

and P.S. I hope your country gets well soon.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:25 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Though BD has a good counter argument to this: in that old software is so obsolete it is no longer on anyone's radar.

Well see, I may have to eat my words on that. :coffee:

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:32 am 

Mid & Late 2007 MPBs are supported by El Capitan, which has full support for another year and a half (-ish).

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp728?locale=en_US

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:30 pm 

Maybe I am missing something here but if it is a matter of running old iPhoto, why not just use the old version? I installed Mavericks a year ago, which included iTunes 11. I used right click-->archive to zip up iTunes 11 and dragged iTunes 7.5 onto the computer. No problems with it as long as you aren't trying to use any of Apple's online features (it still connects to Gracenote fine).

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:57 pm 

That is a good point to make Limnos, and your suggestion with iTunes reminds me that iPhoto only changes with a new computer. If an OS upgrade is all he does, say to El Capitan, he'll still have his existing version of iPhoto. I failed to make that connection, until your post. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:20 pm 

roam wrote:
That is a good point to make Limnos, and your suggestion with iTunes reminds me that iPhoto only changes with a new computer. If an OS upgrade is all he does, say to El Capitan, he'll still have his existing version of iPhoto. I failed to make that connection, until your post. Thanks.

Be very careful. As of Yosemite, a lot of Apple apps will be prevented from even running at all because libraries or frameworks they depend on are either changed or deprecated entirely. The original iWork 06 apps for example, that came with my Mac Pro 1,1 - they're Intel binaries, but will not launch at all past 10.8.5.

If you have space and can afford a bit more RAM (as this is a device he's comfy with), you can dual boot to use a modern OS for internet and reboot to the older OS for iPhoto use (if it doesn't launch or work in 10.11.x). But before you make any attempt to do anything, back up the drive to an external using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! or risk losing what sanity you and your husband have left. I'm not joking on that last one. Always[/] back up before doing a major OS upgrade. Oh, and the upgrade [i]will nuke iPhoto and possibly munge your albums, so that's another reason to back up beforehand.

I've been lucky for the most part and aside from a few Apple apps that I never used anyway, I've actually been able to use the updated OS from my Mac Pro 1,1 all the way through to my current Hack Pro. Yes, I'm actually using all of the account, /home, /usr, etc. data from my Mac Pro 1,1 on my hackintosh. OS X is nice like that. Helps that I know how to migrate too. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:30 pm 

That's useful info. Oh well, back to square one.

I'm on 10.9.5 which runs the old 10.6 iPhoto but at least FF still gets updated, currently FF ESR 45.9

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:16 am 

Thanks all for your remarks - which I'll reply to one at a time.
roam wrote:
... he could keep his hardware as it is and not go online, and get an additional device like an iPad for internet stuff.
I have a good copy of 10.6 that is still very useful but I never take it online anymore...

and P.S. I hope your country gets well soon.

He hates iPads (Our dentist has one that we use if we forget to bring the computer and one of us has to wait for the other. )

< old software is so obsolete it is no longer on anyone's radar.>
Wasn’t it old windows that was subject to the ransom attack?

< P.S. I hope your country gets well soon.>
I hope so too, but, I don’t have any hopes for a President Pence which would be almost, but not quite, as bad - and a President Ryan is hard to stomach as well. The outlook is bleak. 2 or 4 years is a long long wait. Remember, I am from Vermont, home of Bernie Sanders.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:18 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Mid & Late 2007 MPBs are supported by El Capitan, which has full support for another year and a half (-ish)...

Is it worth it to install more RAM into an aged laptop - I think without more RAM new OSs won’t work. He has the small amount of RAM that came with the computer - least common denominator.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am 

Limnos wrote:
Maybe I am missing something here but if it is a matter of running old iPhoto, why not just use the old version?...

The older iPhoto (and I mean older, he uses version 7.1.5 of iPhoto ’08) wouldn’t work on our Mavericks travel MBP, so I don’t think it will work on OS versions newer than Mavs, but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:21 am 

roam wrote:
... your suggestion with iTunes reminds me that iPhoto only changes with a new computer. If an OS upgrade is all he does, say to El Capitan, he'll still have his existing version of iPhoto. I failed to make that connection, until your post. Thanks.

Really??
So it would work, even if it doesn’t work on a (purchased used) Mavericks computer - that came with Mavs installed - a 2011 MBP...but my 2011 iMac didn’t come with Mavericks, so the 2011 Mavs used computer had an OS update already - and our old iPhoto doesn't work on it.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:21 am 

New OSes will work, just slowly.

Unless you want to buy a new system, extra RAM (plus an OS upgrade) or no internet are the two reasonable options.

Are there really huge changes between versions of iPhoto? Every time I opened it up, no matter what system I was on, it seemed the same to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:23 am 

Squishy Tia wrote:
roam wrote:
If you have space and can afford a bit more RAM (as this is a device he's comfy with), you can dual boot to use a modern OS for internet and reboot to the older OS for iPhoto use (if it doesn't launch or work in 10.11.x). But before you make any attempt to do anything, back up the drive to an external using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! or risk losing what sanity you and your husband have left. I'm not joking on that last one. Always[/] back up before doing a major OS upgrade. Oh, and the upgrade [i]will nuke iPhoto and possibly munge your albums, so that's another reason to back up beforehand...

I am the queen of backups using SuperDuper.
The iMac has 5, the MBPs have 3 each - so no worries there. And all our photos have 2 more external HD backups and then there is one that I keep in our safe deposit box of all the computers.

The MBP only has a 120 GB HD, so running 2 OSs with a dual boot may be a stretch?
More RAM would be fine, BUT (as I asked above) is it foolish to consider spending money on an old machine?
I will have to have more RAM installed in the iMac as well to run anything beyond Mavs - it has the same RAM as the travel MBP which runs MAVS - it's the amt there on purchase, again, the least available.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:25 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
New OSes will work, just slowly.

Unless you want to buy a new system, extra RAM (plus an OS upgrade) or no internet are the two reasonable options.

Are there really huge changes between versions of iPhoto? Every time I opened it up, no matter what system I was on, it seemed the same to me.

thanks for the immediate reply MB. I am in the midst of replying to each of you separately.

Extra RAM seems the way to go - but is it stupid (waste of money stupid) for a 2007 MBP?
The new iPhoto has a much more clumsy and less precise straightening method for working with out of whack just slightly photos.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:27 am 

roam wrote:

I'm on 10.9.5 which runs the old 10.6 iPhoto but at least FF still gets updated, currently FF ESR 45.9

So too are we on 45.9.0esr.

BUT a day after I did the 45.9.0esr updates on our 2 machines, we each got a popup saying we would only see this message once, telling us that our version is unsupported and can not be updated and that we needed to update our system.
It sent us here for further info: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-osx

I’m surprised you didn’t get this or maybe you did, but someone else used your machine, saw it and the message won't reappear ever again.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:16 pm 

If you upgrade to an OS newer than 10.10 you'll get Photos... maybe its straightening tool is a little less whacky.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:00 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
If you upgrade to an OS newer than 10.10 you'll get Photos... maybe its straightening tool is a little less whacky.

Interesting. I can perhaps check it out online in a review?

Meantime, senior moment here: I turned on the Mavs MBP and checked.
It IS running the older iPhoto that he loves.

The newer version (the one I have on the iMac running Snow [as he too is running Snow] v9.2.3 has the straightening tool he hates.
Interestingly v7.1.5 doesn't work on my Snow machine which I updated from Tiger - just as his MBP was!!!

I don' get it, but it keeps him off the iMac when he needs to edit photos ;)

I have to get someone in to help me add RAM and do the updates. Don't know how much to get and how far to update.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:33 pm 

Older iMacs have what's considered user expandable RAM slots, no surgery required. The procedure is very similar for all of them:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel ... cement/908

You need to get memory that works with your particular model of course. Some models have two SODIMM slots while others have four. That's part of why getting memory that works with your model is important.

Compared to replacing the HD in an iMac or upgrading the RAM in a newer-ish iMac this is child's play (the first generation that was glued together had their SO-DIMMs hidden behind the glued-on LCD, while the newest models have their memory, and sometimes storage, soldered on and are non-upgradable).

Photos.app has been around for two or more years now, there are some older articles on it:
https://www.theverge.com/2015/2/5/79825 ... lainer-faq

Of course it's been updated as the OS has been updated, so some of the grumps from its first release may have been resolved.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:43 pm 

Mrs H wrote:
roam wrote:

So too are we on 45.9.0esr.

BUT a day after I did the 45.9.0esr updates on our 2 machines, we each got a popup saying we would only see this message once, telling us that our version is unsupported and can not be updated and that we needed to update our system.
It sent us here for further info: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-osx

I’m surprised you didn’t get this or maybe you did, but someone else used your machine, saw it and the message won't reappear ever again.

That message you received says they are ending support for 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8.
I'm on 10.9 Mavs which I presume they are still supporting. Hence no message.
Which is better than Apple at least, who dropped OS support for Mavs late last year.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:11 pm 

roam wrote:
That message you received says they are ending support for 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8.
I'm on 10.9 Mavs which I presume they are still supporting. Hence no message...

As I said in reply to iPhoto point I made, senior moment here - or should I just blame jet-lag still. Can't sleep when we should, we are hungry when we shouldn't be and basically having difficulty getting adjusted. So, my reading skills have gone as well... ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:41 pm 

Jet lag can put you seriously in topsy turvy land. I remember landing in Mumbai once, and at 2am in the hotel room I felt as bright as a button, and was reading the yellowpages for want of something to do. And remarkably, I recall, under A for asbestos, it was still for sale as roofing material. :o

Anyway, if you upgraded to Mavs, you could have an updated browser and still keep the iPhoto intact. That could be a reasonable compromise.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:06 am 

Mozilla is still supporting 10.9, but unless something changes 45.9.0 will the be the last release of 45. You will be expected to move to the new ESR release based on 52 once... 54?... comes out. 52 officially requires 10.9, dunno how hard that requirement is though.

Edit: Yes, 45.9.0 was the end of the line

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:50 pm 

Anyone used FF ESR 52 yet. I downloaded it this morning and it restarted without the bookmarks toolbar. Toggling that off and on again got that back, but when I found my command click to open in a new tab to no longer work, I ditched it and copied back the previous version.
So I may have to leave the ESR variety and just get the normal one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:12 am 

I'm running the 52 ESR (now up to 52.2) mostly problem free. If you haven't, first thing to try might be to install/reinstall the application directly. This is the en-GB dmg installer (en-GB perhaps what you want for AUS) :

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rele ... 2.0esr.dmg

Next up, as your current profile might be corrupt, test in a new profile. You don't have to lose your current profile, this just gives you the option of testing with a new one, which you can keep or remove. In Terminal (the first command should do it, but just in case, here's a second one):

/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -P

or

/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox --ProfileManager

Could be one of your addons responsible for the flaky behavior. Because I was experiencing problems getting to the 46 when that was first released, when I did the 52 upgrade (I had stayed with the 45 ESR until the 52), I first disabled all my addons, then added them back in one at a time. This seemed to work out okay.

There's also Classic Theme Restorer, which might help you out

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... erestorer/

Finally, should you want to keep the new profile, here's an article about moving items from one profile to another

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox

EDIT: And one more thing I just remembered, with FF closed, try moving "compatibility.ini" from your current profile to the Trash--a new one will be generated automatically. Then reopen FF. This alone might be sufficient.