XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: mDNSResponder
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:39 pm 

I'm wondering what's going on today, I notice quite a few spinning beach balls ( I'm still using Snow leopard )
and I decided to look around to see what was causing it, Little Snitch showed that there was a large amount
of access tries thru mDNSRespoder ( at this writting 3360 tries ) Little Snitch blocked them all.
EyeTV seems to be also affected since I have it set to record shows.
This all seems to be on my local network, which I'm connected via ethernet, everyone else as far as I know
is WiFi connected.
Little Snitch says it's from UDP port 1900 with EyeTV and quite a few thru mDNSResponder
Is there a way to block these tries permanently thru another method ?

Post subject: Re: mDNSResponder
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:04 pm 
Master

You could try disabling Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) on your router, if it's currently enabled, and see if it makes any difference. Actually you probably should anyway, since it's an ill-conceived security hole. It probably won't help, however, because it's probably EyeTV trying to do some sort of service discovery.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:46 pm 

I'll have to give it a try tomorrow, the router isn't in my space.
It's really mDNSResponder that's getting all the hits, EyeTV isn't running till a
scheduled program I want to record is on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:15 pm 
Master

mDNSResponder may be seeing/reacting/??? to multicast discovery messages from something trying to use Universal Plug and Play. What exactly is getting logged? Can you post some logged messages?

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:55 pm 

Anon, Where would I find the log files ?
I looked thru Console and didn't see anything related to mDNSResponder.

Problem is solved, met the new guy that's sharing a studio adjoining me, that had sent a file to print
and something got stuck somewhere and his computer was still looking for the printer.
No hits at all anymore other than normal .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:30 am 

How do you fare when you send something to print over this network, assuming there is a printer serving? Maybe the new guy needs to tweak his network settings? Different OS' may be problematic too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:09 am 

So basically his computer had a job in the queue of a printer that was attached via Bonjour, and since it didn't exist Bonjour kept looking for it in a panic.

Sounds like par for the course. Even when Bonjour theoretically can find the printer it still send out a ton of network traffic before it finds the printer. I just assign everything fixed DHCP leases and use DNS names to reach the printers... no broadcasts no multicasts just DNS lookup to IP to printer. Simple. The only time it doesn't work is when students are on a network that can't reach the printer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:45 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
So basically his computer had a job in the queue of a printer that was attached via Bonjour, and since it didn't exist Bonjour kept looking for it in a panic.

Sounds like par for the course. Even when Bonjour theoretically can find the printer it still send out a ton of network traffic before it finds the printer. I just assign everything fixed DHCP leases and use DNS names to reach the printers... no broadcasts no multicasts just DNS lookup to IP to printer. Simple. The only time it doesn't work is when students are on a network that can't reach the printer.

Thanks MB for the tip about using DHCP for how devices can be specifically linked within a network, instead of broadcast.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:31 am 

roam wrote:
How do you fare when you send something to print over this network, assuming there is a printer serving? Maybe the new guy needs to tweak his network settings? Different OS' may be problematic too.

I don't use a shared printer or a printer sever I have my own private printer so I wouldn't know.
It's an odd set up here, the studio that the router is in is all wifi with possibly a shared printer
and I'm in a private space at the far end and I'm hardwired to the modem.
Seems that he fixed whatever it was that was pinging the network, normal traffic now.