XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:37 pm 
Master

It seems as though Apple doesn't want me visiting any longer. I get this when I try to visit https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2279227?tstart=0 using Firefox 45.6.0 ESR.

Well, OK then. The new site format is kind of infuriating anyway, so you can probably talk me in to leaving.

Of course I can get in by setting my browser's user agent to something modern, like an iPhone 3. :roll:

- Anonymous

Attachments:
Unsupported Browser.png
Unsupported Browser.png [ 58.69 KiB | Viewed 969 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:49 pm 

I recall you mentioned elsewhere on here, you tweak your browser to obscure your fingerprint (paraphrasing) and this tweakage may have been picked up on the ASD site, because to see, I just logged in there with the FF ESR 45.6.0 without challenge. You may have tripped some flag of browser data they monitor.

here it is;
Quote:
I take other countermeasures to somewhat complicate browser fingerprinting, but they're only effective against sites that aren't trying very hard.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:15 am 
Master

Perhaps, in which case Apple is slowly losing its mind.

schizophrenia
noun
A long-term mental disorder of a type involving a breakdown in the relation between thought, emotion, and behavior, leading to faulty perception, inappropriate actions and feelings, withdrawal from reality and personal relationships into fantasy and delusion, and a sense of mental fragmentation.

Seriously, WTF are they trying to accomplish? Maybe it's just nostalgia for 1997:

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:42 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Must be too new, FF 3.6.28 works here in 10.5.8/PPC!

Attachments:
ff368.gif
ff368.gif [ 42.15 KiB | Viewed 962 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:52 am 
Master

And I was on earlier today. It was just this evening they decided they don't like me.

It absolutely must be something other than just my user agent string: I've tried seven of them, representing various real and fictitious browsers (including plausible future versions of Firefox, up-to-date Safari, Chrome, Yahoo! bots, etc...), and the only one that lets me in is the iPhone. At any rate, they're clearly doing something too clever for their own good.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:16 am 
Benevolent Dictator

It is the most difficult & cantankerous site I visit, I'd give up except for all the poor souls left stranded by it just works. :bonk:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:41 am 

Anonymous wrote:
Seriously, WTF are they trying to accomplish? Maybe it's just nostalgia for 1997:

- Anonymous

I'd love to go back to 1997, but back to reality, I'm guessing you have modded your browser's ID to be so obscure to be regarded as unrecognised, hence the suggestion of ye olde Internet Explorer as a possible suitable alternative. Which on one level for you is mission accomplished, no tracking this guy :?: as he exists outside of time. :geek:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:34 am 
Master

Actually I don't do anything very exotic, nor even change the default user agent (unless I'm testing something or trying to work around a broken site): I disable WebGL and usually prohibit javascript on a whitelist basis. I haven't found a good way to muck with html canvas or I'd do that too.

Oddly, today they're letting me in again. :| OK, it's their site and they can do what they want.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:14 am 

I have nothing intelligent to add so I'll just leave this here on Apple's behalf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCFyJIDGztA

And if you're perplexed... it's more funny if you've seen the episode.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:26 pm 

I've use a css user style sheet to revert the site layout to an earlier format.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-7501

Robert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:28 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks Robert, do you have a Safari ready version?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:20 pm 

No. I do not have a safari version. You can use Hiroto's implementation for Safari.

What's wrong with Firefox? Fills in you ASC password on the new password panel. Enough reason to use Firefox for me.

I was using Safari for my ASC browser, then Apple decided to improve ASC. I switched to Firefox to run Hiroto's user css. No other web browser has as good of user css as does Firefox. In particular, Firefox supports:
@-moz-document
url-prefix(https://discussions.apple.com/thread)
This selects what page the css effects.

R

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:38 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, I can't seem to get a Bookmatks toolbar in FF. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:01 pm 

I have never since the latest ASC major update last fall been able to get FF to autofill my password. In fact half the time I still have problems getting a full display of the login window without reloading it 3 times. I just leave a pending edit open 24/7 and stay logged in.

There was a post again today about the supported browser thing. It seems to be an on-off thing for pretty much everybody though I have not seen it yet. Today's complaint was from a Chrome user but other Chrome users said they had no problem.