XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:31 pm 

Thought it wasn't installing fully in my 10.8 because it was supposed to have been EOL there (maybe), but just installed it in my 10.9, where it's not supposed to be EOL, and it does the same thing. Still working as a basic browser, but looks like a shell of its former self. I hope Mozilla wakes up soon and give us a 46.0.1.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 12.29.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 12.29.37 PM.png [ 101.84 KiB | Viewed 9867 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:50 pm 

Definitely not EOL.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/4 ... uirements/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:21 pm 
Master

Whee! Haven't updated yet...hope to stick it out for a few more days since I have work to do.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:08 pm 

Looks like a corrupt profile to me. Try creating a new, default, profile and see if it looks OK.

I wish Mozilla would stop adding features like a crack addict who only gets their fix when they add a feature, and instead focus on, you know, fixing bugs on features that have already been implemented, long implemented, like - oh I don't know - upgrading a profile from one version to another without completely rendering it corrupt and useless.

If you have a time machine backup of your profile you could try replacing it with the old version and trying the upgrade a second time. Sometimes that works. Normally, though, it only works after Mozilla releases a new version that fixes the bug preventing the upgrade from working. Which, lately, has been rather low on their list of reasons to release a version upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:34 pm 

Tried installing the 46 three times now, no difference. Corrupt Profile? If it were corrupt, wouldn't I notice it in my 45.0.2, which I've reverted to each time from a backup of my 45.0.2 Profile? Why would it only show up with a new version? The 45.0.2 continues to work completely problem free, as far as I can see anyway. Have tried on my 10.8 and 10.9, will try now on the 10.6, just to see.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:05 pm 
Master

Hmmmm...incompatible profile?

Probably worth a try with a clean profile, just in case. Also, could Classic Theme Restorer need updating or be incompatible?

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:54 pm 

No go in 10.6 also. Tried reinstalling the older 44.0.1 + its profile from backup, still no dice. Might try updating the 46 again, then reinstalling CTR. Or try moving to the 45 ESR, then up to the 46. Of if the latest ESR is good, maybe just keep that.

If this means a new profile, very bad news: means bringing over all the numerous about:config changes I've made, custom CSS, zillions of addons to reinstall. Just went through this not that long ago. Was several days of work. I'm not ready to go through this all over again.

EDIT: Also suddenly seeing all these addon updates for addon versions I already have, "signed.1-signed." Release notes either say fixed compatibility with FF 24 or FF 4.0. WTF is that about? Maybe these are incompatible, and if I just get rid of them for now, the 46 will update correctly.

Attachment:
Weird FF addon updates.png
Weird FF addon updates.png [ 227.71 KiB | Viewed 9847 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:57 am 

Rather than screw around with a new profile, I switched to the 45.1.0 ESR. Just can't deal with all the work a new profile will entail. The ESR seems to be OK, for now. Hope it lasts. By the time the 45 ESR is EOL, it may not matter anymore, since by that point Firefox may be an idiotic Chrome clone, and I may have to be using another browser altogether.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:58 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I can't keep up with FF's idiocies. :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:04 am 

Uh, what's wrong in the image? Yes, things have been moved about but after using Mac OS for a quarter of a century that's pretty much a given anytime there's a major release of anything. My top panels are so rearranged with extensions such as Classic Theme Restorer that I don't know what is "normal" anymore.

One nice thing I liked FF introduce was the ability to open a second profile in a new incidence of FF in a new window (or maybe one of my plugins is doing this?) I can have a barebones profile with things such as NoScript which I disabled in my main browser. I used to have to have two copies of the FF application in my Applications Folder to do this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:13 am 

Limnos wrote:
Uh, what's wrong in the image? Yes, things have been moved about but after using Mac OS for a quarter of a century that's pretty much a given anytime there's a major release of anything. My top panels are so rearranged with extensions such as Classic Theme Restorer that I don't know what is "normal" anymore.

One nice thing I liked FF introduce was the ability to open a second profile in a new incidence of FF in a new window (or maybe one of my plugins is doing this?) I can have a barebones profile with things such as NoScript which I disabled in my main browser. I used to have to have two copies of the FF application in my Applications Folder to do this.

What was wrong with the 46 was that, although I could use it as a browser, to a limited extent, much of the UI just wasn't there and wasn't working. And this wasn't a case of a new UI being introduced in the 46, which I could have fixed one way or another, this wasn't fixable. I tried.

I'm happily on the 45ESR, which at least for the time being, seems to be working properly in all respects, with all my addons still compatible. No idea what was really causing the problem with the 46, maybe a corrupt profile or an incompatible or corrupt addon (nothing obvious there), but I just couldn't drag myself through the agony of creating a new profile, which I already did not that long ago. Too much stuff to redo. Just praying that the 45 ESR doesn't turn into something ugly later on.

Firefox is highly customizable--at least for the time being, until Mozilla completely wrecks it with announced upcoming changes--but one very serious drawback of that customizability, at least for someone with many addons and many other customizations, is the almost regular incidence of profile corruption.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:33 am 

Look at the number of buttons in his pic. Every possible button from the Firefox UI has been stuck onto his menubar/button bar/godknowswhatmozillacallsit area. This is exactly what happens when a profile gets corrupt.

As far as it working in the old version, that's pretty much par for the course. Whatever weird changes it makes when importing the profile usually get ignored by older versions. Like the new version combines settings into a new settings value, barfs all over itself when creating the new value, but the old values are still there. As a result the old version ignores the new barf-covered settings, since it doesn't know how to interpret it, and instead relies upon the old settings which are still functional and intact. That's probably a gross oversimplification of the process, since it involves a lot of things (including databases) but it seems to mirror the behavior.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:34 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Look at the number of buttons in his pic. Every possible button from the Firefox UI has been stuck onto his menubar/button bar/godknowswhatmozillacallsit area. This is exactly what happens when a profile gets corrupt.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you meant: A few were missing, but all the buttons in that screenshot are where they belong, sort of. All those UI buttons are there because I like them being directly accessible. The most obvious problem was the bookmarks and history sidebars wouldn't open, and all but a few of the items in the bookmarks toolbar were gone. I could get into the AOM from Tools, and also Bookmarks, which would open when selected, from the Firefox menubar, but I didn't spend all that much time with it, since I knew it was kaput, so can't go into much more detail than that.

Any idea why it seems to be doing OK in the ESR? No change in UI, so old profile could be used?

I have a few old profiles lying around. Maybe one of them is pre-corruption. One day if I get the energy and desire, or if I'm forced into it because things start going off the rails with the ESR, I'll try to get the 46 back, or whatever the version is by then.

For comparison, here's how it looks in the 45 ESR (just the same as it did in the 45.0.2.) And then in the screwed up 46.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:53 pm 

I haven't touched my FF 45.0.2 in terms of updating but now I see several of those double signed entries too in updates. It must be something messed up on their servers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:40 pm 

Oh, sorry, I've actually seen corrupt profiles where it basically adds every possible UI element to the menubar and thought that's what happened. I don't mean the hidden elements that you've unhidden, I mean things that you normally wouldn't see, like arrows, buttons, etc. that don't really belong on the menubar and don't actually do anything at all but just get tacked on there because of corruption.

The only real way to know if 46 has done... something... with your profile is to create a new profile. If it looks normal then that's it. If it's still all goofy then you know your profile is okay, its just Mozilla not paying attention.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:59 pm 

As no one else seems to be having any issues upgrading to the 46, it's almost certainly a corrupt profile.

Limnos: not a server problem for those new "signed.1-signed" addon updates. Seems to be deliberate on the part of Mozilla. At last count I have a total of 9 of those.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3002333