XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:12 am 

I'm about to add an SSD to my Mac mini's USB bus. Advice from the manufacturer was to optimally plug it directly into one of the mini's four USB ports. I'd also received a similar recommendation for my audio interface. With the two remaining ports, I'm in the process of deciding how my other USB devices* will be connected (two powered hubs have been accommodating some of them).

The SSD will become my primary audio work drive. Audio 1 (which used to be the primary) will move to the Firewire bus, in the chain after my Time Machine drive and prior to Audio 2 which, with Audio 1, will now be backup drives.

I don't even know if it's necessary that I understand this, but it is confusing: the mini has four USB 3 ports. But System Profiler shows something that I believe is different (somehow:
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 11.13.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 11.13.15 AM.png [ 81.64 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]

Why does it show only three USB entries, and why do two of them show as USB 2.0 instead of 3.0?

Things get REALLY confusing for me when I expand each entry (but everything's working just fine, so I'm good with it):
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 11.36.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 11.36.55 AM.png [ 93.43 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]

*My other USB devices:
– Mac mini & MacBook bootable clones (both on a single drive, which remains powered off until needed)
– Archive drive (remains powered off until needed)
– Keyboard/Mouse
– iPad
– Back/UPS interface
– SanDisk Music Player charging cable
– iLok for Waves audio plugins
– eLicenser for Steinberg WaveLab Pro

As all of these things are already plugged into the two powered hubs, I don't anticipate anything changing in the way of performance. But, if you have any ideas, recommendations, etc., I'd love to hear them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:43 am 
Benevolent Dictator

As I understand it Bluetooth, Wifi, & IR are fed off an internal USB Hub with no external ports.

I'm wondering if that last USB2 listing might be limiting to USB2 due to connected devices being USB1 or USB2?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:29 pm 

Aha... that might be it. I can't be sure which version USB the devices plugged into the hubs might be.

But, as I said, everything's working fine, so I won't look for issues where there are none. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:48 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

OK, I'm pretty sure Mice & KBs are USB1... unless maybe you can type more than 100,000 words per minute

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:04 pm 

USB 3.0 hosts create a virtual USB 2.0 hub for all USB 2.0 devices connected to it.

In other words, it all looks normal to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:11 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks MB. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:51 pm 

That confused me the first time I plugged a USB 2 something into USB 3. Does it on Windows too. I think I've seen it use the same virtual USB hub for devices plugged into different USB 3 controllers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:28 am 

Thanks for clearing that up for me, BD and MB.

To veer off to a different thread for a moment, I learned last night that the furiously blinking activity lights on the two drives on my Firewire bus takes place NOT when I put the computer to sleep, but shortly after I log out of my user (Admin) account. So, I thought I'd solve that by just not logging out and letting the computer sleep. But that (which will now require veering off to yet another thread) caused my Water Break app to stop working. Thus, to keep everything happy, when I retire later tonight, I'll remain logged in and just put my display to sleep.

What a trip.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:19 am 

Thats interesting. I wonder if Spotlight isn't maintaining its list of volumes to exclude.

I think there's a file you can create in the root of a HD to exclude it from indexing. I just don't remember its name.

There's also a command line tool to configure indexing that, when run with sudo, would apply to root (I think login runs under root or a root equivalent). Uh. Yeah can't remember its name either. Sorry couldn't sleep last night so I'm foggy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:31 am 

Thanks, MB. I had begun an edit on my last post but got sidetracked and never actually posted it. There's a new twist. See the last post in this (the Firewire/blinking lights) thread and see what you think about that:

https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8948

Something I remember reading somewhere is, allegedly, that even if I add a Time Machine drive to Spotlight's exclusion list, OS X will ignore it and index the drive anyway. But read the post above.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:19 am 

Well, in my experience on Leopard (10.5) that was at least partially true, but that was the first Time Machine implementation so its really quirky. I was able to exclude it using the command line utility (I may have also forcibly unloaded spotlight too) but then time machine stopped backing up. I think its mdutil but not in OS X so can't say for sure. sudo mdutil -i off /Volumes/VolumeNameHere (or /Volumes/Volume\ Name\ Here or "/Volumes/Volume Name Here") seems to be what Google is telling me. You can disable spotlight across all volumes with sudo mdutil -a -i off (-a is all volumes)