XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:44 am 

Since I'm still on the edge about using Waterfox (have seen some reassuring signs, but not 100% convinced yet), in addition to using Firefox (with a good deal of telemetry disabled), I've been getting Brave ready as well.

One of the things that most discouraged me from using Brave was the absence of a bookmarks sidebar, like the one in Firefox, which this extension Bookmark Sidebar takes care of mostly. I say mostly because the developer, who, by the way, is very responsive to questions, acknowledges that there's no way to keep the sidebar permanently visible while viewing a site (needs to open in its own special tab--set to Google search, but which can be edited for duckduckgo, as I've done. For that, use tiny pencil icon at bottom right of sidebar tab -- not in screenshot.) That means it needs to be reopened, one way or another after visiting a site.

Note: "something has blocked the sidebar is normal.)

That said, its UI is loaded with lots of CSS options to, for example, adjust width, line height and many other things. I have mine set to open automatically at bookmarks imported from Firefox. Everything above that is already in the bookmarks menubar.

From Chrome Web Store https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... fkdh?hl=en

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 11.38.55 AM.png [183.71 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:42 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks W, been wondering where you were! :)

I just open another Tab & use Bookmark Manager.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:20 pm 

What I like about it is that I can get it to look just like my Firefox (Waterfox also) bookmarks sidebar.

Hope you're staying far away from that outbreak.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:23 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I had some kind of Flu or Pneumonia in mid Feb., hadn't seen another person or been anywhere for a month before, the week before I did get a package of slippers from China through Amazon, I think I'm over it now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:46 am 

Just had a look at this, Bookmark Sidebar privacy policy. Wondering if it's pretty standard stuff or...? Seems to be pretty GDPR aware, as located in Germany.

https://extensions.blockbyte.de/privacy/bs

In particular:
Quote:
Usage Data

We also collect usage data (for example visits to the pages of the extension, details about your configuration) in order to identify and implement possible improvements to the extension. The collection of this data requires your explicit consent.

Have never given explicit consent to anything, and where asked have dismissed. Have anything blockbyte.de blocked in Little Snitch--it generally only connects if I go to the settings configuration, never when I hit a bookmark link, and never when I simply open the sidebar.*

One very disturbing thing I did notice, which was not blocked by Little Snitch, so it must be programmed to occur within the extension itself after a certain interval after install, is this (I wrote directly to the developer after this happened, and after a few exchanges got him to accept that this uninvited overlay directly over the bookmarks sidebar is very intrusive, to put it mildly. He says he will try to implement it differently. But besides the fact that this seemed to occur out of the purview of any outgoing connection (Little Snitch), I wonder if I can trust this extension not to lift data. Dev says it doesn't, and the dismiss button is the end of it for all time.

* EDIT: Probably normal, just tried connecting on Brave open.
Attachment:
bookmark sidebar need help.png [40.12 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Last edited by WZZZ on Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:37 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmm...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:18 pm 
Master

Seems like pretty standard stuff. The overlay itself doesn't need to beam any data anywhere: it can just record your preference locally. It sounds like there is machinery to collect some data from time-to-time, but it might not be doing so. I don't use Little Snitch so I don't know quite how it handles allowing requests without notification, but if you allow requests that originate from the browser that could allow the extension as well (I think browser extensions run in a subprocess, but also don't know how that interacts with Little Snitch).

Which isn't to prove the extension is in the clear, just that there's no evidence to suggest it's exfiltrating data.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:47 pm 

Thanks, guess one can't be too paranoid these days...or maybe one can.

Last edited by WZZZ on Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:15 pm 
Master

All I know is that I'm not gonna drink any Corona beer! Could you imagine if I squeezed some citrus in to it and got lyme disease too??!

But yeah, it is probably worth some diligence and restraint when it comes to installing browser extensions.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:50 pm 

citrus mixed with beer: actually, the Brits do that and it's called a "shandy." For some strange reason, I don't find that at all appealing.

EDIT: a BTW

"What the Dubious Corona Poll Reveals"

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ll/607240/
Quote:
The real question is why this obscure poll would, even if it had been true, be able to capture the imagination of so many people. And the answer is as obvious as it is saddening: Clearly, a lot of Americans already think that their fellow citizens are stupid. The real reason a fake finding could have spread so far so quickly is that it confirmed prejudices about the world that many have held all along.

Could be, but not certain about this conclusion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:44 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Or is it a strange sense of humor?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:36 am 
Master

My point is, there has been no scientific peer-reviewed study of whether Corona beer causes corona virus. Is the name really just a coincidence? That's what they want you to think. Would you take the chance when literally no one know for sure? If they're so confident it's safe, why are they afraid to publish their findings? Are they hiding something??? Think about it.*

My other point is, yes, I'm a little uncertain as to whether a troubling large percentage (where "troublingly large" is probably on the order of "too many to count on both hands") of Americans really are that dumb. Every time I start to think, "no, they couldn't possibly be," I stumble on to Yahoo! Answers and my faith in humanity collapses, again.

My other other point, possibly my more serious one, is to agree that "one can't be too paranoid these days...or maybe one can" depending on the context. Browser extensions are problematic, but everything more connected than an electric can opener now needs a GDPR notice, even more so if it was developed in the EU.

- Anonymous

* I jest! Obviously anyone who would fall for that in this context isn't swayed by science or interested thinking, but that kind of person is the kind who would write something similar if they though it would muddy the waters enough to get other people who aren't prone to rational thought to go "hmmm, maybe so." Citation: flat-earthers, anti-vaxxers, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:19 pm 

Side note, if you like the taste of Corona beer, and are still medically sound enough to drink Corona beer, you probably could pick up some at a liquor store at heavy discounts. There's been pictures floating around of stores putting it on sale for 50% off. I personally picked up a six pack for around 15% off but it was at my usual grocery store and they tend to be slow to adapt to trends - I'm pretty sure that was just their normal discounted price.

Apparently Chinese restaurants sales are cratering, but Olive Garden sales are simply trending down like all restaurants. Now, one could say that Olive Garden is to Italian food as Panda Express is to Chinese food, but you'd think that if people want to draw lines between things happening in far off lands with the type of food served at local restaurants they really should connect all the dots and not just the racist ones.

Last edited by MonkeyBoy on Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:27 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Do you think it's maybe that people picture people that workin Chinese Restaurants travel back & forth regularly to China, where they don't think Italians or travelers work at Olive Garden?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:29 pm 

Possibly, but I don't think local italian restaurants sales are cratering, though maybe I'm out of the loop - I don't eat out much.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:42 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

But that's what I'm saying... I certainly have no information, but if you asked me to guess, right or wrong I'd guess that Chinese Restaurant workers do visit China far more than Italian Restaurant workers visit Italy! :snail:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:51 pm 

I dunno, I've only known two Chinese restaurant store owners, one was from China and couldn't visit home because of political reasons and his family was all US born, the other was from Cambodia and all her family in Cambodia were... gone. I haven't known any Italian store owners.

God I still miss that second Chinese restaurant. So good. So, so good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:57 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I miss the Cantonese Restaurant I worked in, but the in thing for years/decades has been spicy/hot Chinese food.
Quote:
Restaurants struggle to survive as coronavirus turns Seattle into a ghost town

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/us/seatt ... index.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:36 pm 

I suppose the common denominator here is that American Italian food has as much to do with actual Italian food as American Chinese food has to do with actual Chinese food... people coming here from China have to be taught how to cook our dishes just like any cook who hasn't prepared it before. So why should one be affected more than the other.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:46 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I see your point. :)

I never worked in an Italian Restaurant, but I know from experience in the '50s that Chinese Restaurants worked hard to get Relatives in China over here on work Visas. Same for a Chinese/Vietnamese Cafe that I've been going to for the last 40 years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:47 pm 
Master

MonkeyBoy wrote:
...one could say that Olive Garden is to Italian food as Panda Express is to Chinese food...

Plausible. Would you like some bland starchy paste with your glop and sad pre-processed vegetables out of that cardboard box?

My town is blessed with a lot of really excellent authentic Chinese restaurants but no good Italian places.

- Anonymous