XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is this cool or creepy?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:37 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Looking for an Amazon delivery today, up pops a map of where they are & how many stops away!

At first I thought Cool... then I'm thinking couldn't this be used to great advantage of Porch Bandits to pinpoint deliveries?

Attachments:
Amazon Tracking.gif
Amazon Tracking.gif [ 21.72 KiB | Viewed 144 times ]
Amazon Tracking2.gif
Amazon Tracking2.gif [ 36.24 KiB | Viewed 144 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:24 pm 

That's Creepy, especially if porch bandits have easy access to that info.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:50 pm 

How do they get your tracking no. to see that map?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:32 am 
Benevolent Dictator

My thinking is that they just need to be at the end of a route & place a small order, I saw the exact locations & times of the last 5 drops, the GPS seems to be in their handhelds, could even tell when there was long driveways they had to walk up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:41 pm 

What's really creepy is that when you order a gift for someone off their Amazon wishlist and the order is delivered by Amazon, you get to see the same information. Even if that person hasn't made their address public.

That being said you don't see the exact stop and I don't think they provide the photographic proof of delivery like they do with your actual packages (or, if they do, you can't see it). I mean, at my work I've been told I'm one stop away and the guy's like a half mile down the road. The chance of me figuring out the actual delivery address is a lot of educated guesswork. The last update I saw before the package pinged "delivered" - was that at the stop? Or was that a few doors down?

Technically to get that map they have to log into your account, there is no tracking number you can plug into Amazon and view it. Only you can view your deliveries. So there is at least that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:46 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

This is brand new I think, 1st time I've ever seen it.

I could see deliveries to at least 5 others unrelated to my delivery except the orders were on the same truck.

I could zoom in even further & see outlines of houses & apartments, I could see if Green dot went to side of house or front, or down alley.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:17 pm 

The dot is the current location of the truck. It doesn't mean it's at the location of the delivery. Their deliveries can be very spread out. And most of the time the guys don't stop for long so it can be very hard to figure out the exact spot a delivery was made to.

This has been going on for quite a while, shortly after Amazon rolled its own delivery service, though not all drivers had the necessary support - it was hit or miss up until this year.

You'd be better off just driving around, finding an Amazon truck, and tailing it. But you could do the same for FedEx and UPS. The latter two deliver a lot more packages than Amazon so their stops aren't nearly as spread out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:47 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:02 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Another delivery today, they seem to have removed the house outlines & the ability to Zoom in that close. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:20 am 

I have no Amazon delivery for where I live and the courier services that Amazon has to use are so bad that I normally order for pickup at a Locker or the post office. I would love the option of tracking whoever is transporting the package. They never leave anything in the public's grasp as it wouldn't be there for more than a minute before someone swipes it.