XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:36 pm 

This is all happening on Mr H's MBP where he has to use WF for Google maps, it just doesn't work for him on Firefox.
Still on El Cap - and will be forever, can't go any further than this.

Downloaded the new "classic" update for Waterfox 56.2.14 from here: https://www.waterfox.net/releases/
Went to install it and it installed fine. But the first install icon showing the blue W for Waterfox was over the word Firefox - very strange looking - I should have been suspicious rather than thinking this was the new look to WF

Tried to Open WF and it got stuck on the verify screen.
Finally got a message similar to the one shown here for a different app:

https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12 ... =developer

It has been installed - I can see that in the app list. Worried about that funny icon image in the first installer, I downloaded a new copy and reinstalled that just to be sure.

I found my prior thread asking the question above and from the help screen on the verify info page it gives an easy way to open it - hold control and click the app icon from the finder app list. Should I do this?
Given the weird look of the first installer, I'm glad it didn't open - the second installer looked fine. The first one did install a copy of the new version but I just couldn't open it.

Go ahead and do it with control click?
Yes, I have backups of the MBP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:54 pm 

Without seeing an image of that icon no way really to know what that was or what might have happened.

As far as developer unknown, the WF dev forgot to codesign -- so that it's accepted by Apple -- the latest Mac release. But there's no problem with that release, it's authentic. I ran the checksum in Terminal and it comes up good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comme ... odesigned/

This is the current version of the WF icon (although, since I really don't like it, I've managed to keep using the first one that resembles the FF one but in blue.)
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 5.50.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 5.50.51 PM.png [ 24.59 KiB | Viewed 321 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:01 pm 

Thanks WZZZ

So I will go ahead and open it by the control click way and hope it works.

What the weird icon looked like was - take the W in blue and write the word Firefox under it in black and that's what I saw!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:11 pm 

This (the old icon I was referring to) with FF under it? If so, no idea how that happened. Some kind of glitch, most likely nothing nefarious, since you downloaded that from the correct address.
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 6.09.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 6.09.52 PM.png [ 20.46 KiB | Viewed 318 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
Without seeing an image of that icon no way really to know what that was or what might have happened.

This is the current version of the WF icon...
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 5.50.51 PM.png

Take this W as you posted the current icon and write Firefox under it in black - that's what I saw!

I could trash the whole WF and install it anew - but then I'd have to do the profile thing again from the current (???) version of Ff - or from the save ancient profile from way back when I did it a long while ago.

Speaking of which, I still haven't done the Ff update - I reread your instructions and wanted to ask one more question. Is it just what I did when I installed WF to get my profiles from Ff to WF?
You say here - https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=17 ... 22#p113822 - "This is basically, if I recall, how I told you to get everything from FF into Waterfox. So you have that one under your belt." and that's what the long instructions sounded like to me. So I'm hoping that I'm reading it correctly and can accomplish it without too many fears.

Needless to say, we are getting ready to return to Japan and, of course, that's when we need computers to be working at their best and, of course...
Still waiting for our local ISP to test out their new small size fibre optic modem for us and get the problem they had with the cable on the road fixed and then we get the pleasure of having them invade our basement to wire the cable they installed last summer under our 500 ft driveway and under our lawn to the basement window. Nothing is ever simple here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:53 pm 

FF 60.x and WF 60.x should have similar profiles.

If you are using an earlier version of FF, such 45, the FF profile
is in the old format. The newer FF/WF profile is due to the FF modified
Chrome engine they are now using in 60+.

One thing for sure is common to the old firefox profile though and that is
the bookmarks. Older Plugins however, are generally not supported.

You can make a current backup of your bookmarks in your current WF or FF profile
by opening WF or FF (previous version), open bookmarks and click the right menu
icon that looks like a star and select backup. It will place a bookmarks-[date],json file
in the profiles/(your profile)/Bookmarkbackup directory.

Copy or move the file to your new Waterfox profiles/(your new profile)/Bookmarkbackups directory.

You will have to install compatible plugins manually in the new WF installation though,
but you will have all your old bookmarks.

:)

Note Be sure to backup your old profile first just in case something bad happens. :coffee:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:50 pm 

Well, actually no, the FF60 and WF, now at 56.2.14, use very different profiles. And there is no WF60. Doesn't exist, never has.

The WF still incorporates APIs to support the older XUL ("legacy") extensions, while the post-FF57 ("Quantum") versions no longer do. Although some elements will work in both (e.g., places.sqlite for bookmarks can be moved from one to the other), quite misleading to suggest that they are in any way interchangable, if that is what you are proposing. A FF60 Profile will not work at all in WF56.2, and vice versa.

Besides that, although I am unable to point to anything specific, I know that the later of the 14 WF 56.2 versions have begun to incorporate some elements of the FF Quantum. So as I understand it, it's becoming something of a mix of the 56.2-- the last FF version before the huge changes beginning with FF 57 -- and the FF57 and up. But still predominantly based on the 56.2, with no telemetry, pocket, data collection, and other Mozilla nuisances.

And as far as I know, WF, like FF, uses the Gecko rendering engine, while Chrome runs Blink.

And your point here in inserting yourself in to this thread with Mrs H -- who is asking questions and has concerns very specific to her situation (nothing to do with FF60, or with backing up bookmarks in FF60) -- is what? Are you involving yourself here mostly for your own gratification to try to display a general, although apparently quite limited, familiarity with the subject at hand? All of which seems off-topic, not relevant or helpful.

Last edited by WZZZ on Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:05 am 

Mrs H wrote:
You say here - https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=17 ... 22#p113822 - "This is basically, if I recall, how I told you to get everything from FF into Waterfox. So you have that one under your belt." and that's what the long instructions sounded like to me. So I'm hoping that I'm reading it correctly and can accomplish it without too many fears.

Yes that should work fine. Just go slowly step by step. Except now the latest FF68esr has been updated to 68.1. So get that first.

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rel ... mac/en-US/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:53 am 

WZZZ wrote:

Yes that should work fine. Just go slowly step by step. Except now...

Thank you so much WZZZ for your clarification and help and support.

Re:
WZZZ wrote:
Well, actually no, the FF60 and WF, now at 56.2.14, use very different profiles...

And your point here in inserting yourself in to this thread with Mrs H...

I began reading "Well, actually no..." and panicked that you were saying that to me. After already reading the above referenced reply and wondering what in the world to make of it all.
Then I read further your reply ...
And then I read to Mr H what you wrote.
We both smiled and congratulated you on words well writ.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:05 pm 

About that strange hybrid icon, where did you see that? In the Dock, a window, in Applications?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:04 pm 

Mrs H:

Sorry if I caused any confusion.
I thought you were migrating from firefox to waterfox. Really for the most part,
The profiles are not compatible. The bookmarks are the same though.

I don't know which version of OS X Mr. H is using, but for google maps, the Brave
Browser included in later versions of OS X works extremely well.

I've about given up on later versions of firefox. I've got v68 on Sierra and I don't care
much for it. It's too buggy, especially the plugins available that I need.

I've been using Firefox 45esr for most things as it is pretty stable.
If I need a good HTML 5 browser, I've been using Safari 12 and/or Brave.

I'm considering trying Waterfox on laptop on 10.9. The thing about Waterfox
I don't lack is the lack of documentation available.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:11 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
About that strange hybrid icon, where did you see that? In the Dock, a window, in Applications?

After I downloaded the application newest version "Classic" from here https://www.waterfox.net/releases/
I got a .dmg of the new version - which was called Waterfox 56.2.14 setup.dmg
When I opened the .dmg, I got the standard icon image with an arrow showing that you should drag it into the applications folder. The icon there was of the new blue W which you show above, with the word Firefox in black beneath it. Boy do I wish I had taken a screen shot of the thing.

The install didn't work - or rather I couldn't open it as described above.
I then re-downloaded a new copy and repeated my steps.
This time now Firefox, just the blue W which I dragged in the app folder nad then had the opening trouble which I asked you about.
And now it's up and running on Mr H's MBP - so I'm hoping all is well- as before Google maps works for him in WF, and not in FF.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:10 pm 

Almost certainly nothing nefarious, since you got it from the correct address. Just some weird glitch. Or maybe exactly where that WF icon appeared after you opened the 56.2.14 DMG, you had something on the Desktop "Firefox" (a folder labeled Firefox?), which seemed as if it belonged with that Waterfox icon?* But as soon as you tried dragging it into Applications, you would have noticed it was separate. Let's just file this one as unexplained.

*EDIT: just tried reproducing this. Not possible, so there goes that theory.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:02 am 

I've had Firefox fail to overwrite the Firefox.app in /Applications while copying it from a dmg before. It's not common but I've seen it. It resulted in a broken app in /Applications. I just trashed the app in /Applications and copied it again (off the dmg) and like magic it was happy.

I wonder if the problem isn't that there's a problem with the file you downloaded, but instead of overwriting the application it merged the new application over the old and in the process corrupted the application. By deleting the app you insure the copied app is (or should be) exactly what was on the image you downloaded.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:34 am 

WZZZ wrote:
Almost certainly nothing nefarious, since you got it from the correct address....Let's just file this one as unexplained.

Sounds reasonable.

I now need to update WF on my iMac. I didn't bother because I never use it, but I know I should.

This time, does it make sense to just use the nag updater in the right corner and just click update rather than download the update from the WF site?
The WF site calls the download a Setup.dmg rather than just calling it WF 56.x.x.dmg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:40 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I've had Firefox fail to overwrite the Firefox.app ... By deleting the app you insure the copied app is (or should be) exactly what was on the image you downloaded.

Just a thought.

Thanks MB, but things seem to be OK and I'm loath to do anything else with it.
I overwrote the install that had the weird icon with a new installer that I downloaded from the WF site.
It gave the typical - an older version of WF blah blah blah, do you want to replace? I clicked yes and it proceeded.

Then I had the same issue about not being able to open because of the unknown developer, but I did the open anyway and things have been fine.

All of this is about WF not Ff if that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:35 am 

Mrs H wrote:
WZZZ wrote:
Almost certainly nothing nefarious, since you got it from the correct address....Let's just file this one as unexplained.

Sounds reasonable.

I now need to update WF on my iMac. I didn't bother because I never use it, but I know I should.

This time, does it make sense to just use the nag updater in the right corner and just click update rather than download the update from the WF site?
The WF site calls the download a Setup.dmg rather than just calling it WF 56.x.x.dmg

That's all good. Often, usually at the beginning of a new WF release the developer hasn't had a chance to arrange the direct update, and it isn't available, just the link for the dmg. It's always called WF setup.dmg, but now no need to get the dmg, just hit update, and you shouldn't be bothered by the unidentified developer routine.