XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Firefox
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:46 pm 

Facing the demise of FF 60esr at the end of the summer, I installed FF68, which I've been tweaking with various CSS. Surprisingly, a lot of the CSS I've been using on the esr is still working. But a fair amount of tweaking to go.

But main question: the 68 comes with a new feature in the profiles folder "installs.ini locked=1" The 68 comes with its own profile folder, separate from the esr.
Attachment:
locked.png
locked.png [ 10.56 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]

First, I want to rename both 68 profiles (currently, the 68 at the Mini is "7z4zases.default-release" and the 68 at the iMac is "9t7zwhjq.default-release"), and it is now not possible to simply move a profile from one to the other, Mini to Mac, or vice versa, when I need to. Both the iMac and Mini 60esr profiles have the same name, and same relative path (edited that when the 60esr first arrived.) Being able to move a profile over is quite useful, such as when bookmarks, or addons etc. change or are updated on one and need to be in sync, instead of having to make the respective changes on both separately.

What I imagine doing is renaming both to the same name from the profile manager, and then editing the paths in both profiles.ini to the same path, so that they both become usable on either Desktop. However, with this new "installs.ini locked" feature, I wonder if that is possible, and what I can do to either edit or workaround it?

Post subject: Re: New Firefox
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:15 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Do you think it's FF preventing it or the OS doing it? Could it be done booted from a different volume?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:26 am 

Haven't tried it yet, so don't know for sure what the effect of this new intalls.ini locked will be, but pretty certain if it does prevent what I want to do, it will be a Firefox, not an OS thing responsible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:22 am 

Solved. Got some help with this at Mozillazine. Simply moving the entire Firefox over to the target Mac takes care of everything. Automatically sets the path at profiles.ini, and the install.ini is a non-issue.

Btw, has anyone noticed that the site is sometimes very slow loading today. Sometimes never finishes loading, and have to reload, or reenter from bookmark, which will usually work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, thanks for the info.

Site is speedy here.