XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:09 pm 

Maybe you misunderstood. Wasn't asking how you see the replies to the fake email address, was wondering if you can still login to ebay with your real email/ID?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:03 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, I did misunderstand, but don't really want to expose my real addy to them again.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:25 pm 

Saw "ebay spam" and HAD to look in here. Had a very different vector... owning one's own domain at times can be a hassle (infinite incoming addresses, every vendor gets their own unique incoming address for me). No idea of they got it from my ebay registered e-mail or just because I HAVE a domain, but I got TONS and TONS of "welcome to ebay mail," but not quite as many "we are suspending your account for suspicious activity." From "xyz@<mydomainname>.com" and every random variant of that first string. I deleted my actual account, spent a bunch of hours trying to get through to someone there to tell them to block ANYONE signing up from my domain, they are ALL bad actors. I doubt they ever did anything about it because it persisted for a while. While I detest apple's Mail, I must say it's spam filter really did it's job, not one of these ever made it to my inbox.

After a few weeks, it kind of died out, I still get to odd random one every now and then.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:34 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Whew, on... "we are suspending your account for suspicious activity."

LOL, it was all from me complaining to them over & over & over about the issue, sort of funny you can't close your eBay account but you can get them to suspend your account for complaining about not being able to suspend your own account! :fishsmack:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:00 pm 
Master

One tidy approach to reducing spam on a personal domain is to create a mailbox that includes "spam" in the name. For example (notionally) "reg_spam@x704.net." Spammers seem reluctant to send spam to these accounts, so if you absolutely must put a real unredacted email address in whois data (as required by some of the new TLDs) this is the way to go.

And, of course, good spam filtering is also crucial.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:04 pm 

Similar to the suggestion to call your WiFi "FBI Local Test." Might prevent a few of the more timid from trying to piggyback. The not so timid would see right through. Maybe better to just have a 40+ character long password.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:17 pm 
Master

The economics of spamming is all about preventing your spamming servers from getting closed down too quickly. Spam trap email addresses often, historically, contained the word "spam" so basic list scrubbing dictates removing those addresses so your spam server doesn't get automatically, instantly, detected and blacklisted. Losing a few hundred email addresses is much less expensive than hitting an automated spam trap.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:32 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
Similar to the suggestion to call your WiFi "FBI Local Test." Might prevent a few of the more timid from trying to piggyback. The not so timid would see right through. Maybe better to just have a 40+ character long password.

Reminded me of a funny story. Long ago I was helping run a local cafe/folk club/coffee house. Girl right next door used to hang out a bit. One day ahe seemed upset, seemed she was getting harassing phone calls that were getting much more frequent. We went to her place (I had NO IDEA what I could really do)... and the phone rang as we entered. Had an inspiration, answered the phone "Two four precinct." That WAS the loco police precinct. No more calls.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:43 am 

The advent of caller ID greatly reduced the incidence of prank calls/harassing calls, only to be replaced by an Armageddon of robo calls. I have nomorobo on my landline, but they still haven't figured out how to block same exchange spoofed calls, which represent the vast majority of calls that manage to get through.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:43 am 

Same experience here wzzz... yup, the vast majority are my local exchange 3 digit! I never, ever pick any of them up, but do spend at least 5-15 mins each day entering the 2-3-4 numbers into NOMOROBO. Am also in NYC... Spectrum VOIP or FiOS?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:09 pm 

FIOS. I used to report these same exchange #'s to nomo (they call it "neighbor spoofing/NPA-NXX spoofing") but after doing it conscientiously for maybe 2 years, nomo never once caught any of them. Have written to them several times about this, they reply keep up the reporting anyway. No thanks, not doing it any longer, total waste of time. Have you had any different results from reporting?

From their help desk re. this issue:
Quote:
Report the call to Nomorobo! We are actively working to build features to specifically handle this tactic. Your reports are crucial to making this happen.

I don't think so.

I do still report the other ones.

Last edited by WZZZ on Thu May 16, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:17 pm 

Malwarebytes' mobile product used to include a scam filter that would filter calls based on your phone number - it started out at 3+3+3 digits matching and went up to 3+3 digits matching at the most extreme end. Unfortunately Google removed apps that performed call filtering from Google Play store and that appears to have been the end of that feature.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:11 pm 
Master

I'm using an old side-loaded phone filter app that blocks calls by user-defined pattern matching. This allows blocking calls from fraud havens like Antigua and Jamaica, invalid numbers, and most of all invalid numbers that have exactly 9 digits. For other numbers, I block them in the Android phone app if they show up more than once (most spam calls these days use spoofed numbers, so you never see the same number twice), and just don't answer calls that aren't in my address book.

I'd really like a "swipe to pick up and immediately disconnect" feature, to cut down on voicemail spam, but Google killed that capability in Android a long time ago so I'm just out of luck there.

The silver lining around this plague of phone spam is that I know never to go to China since I'm apparently public enemy #1 based on the number of urgent notifications from the Chinese Embassy that I've been in indicted there.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:03 pm 

Quote:
The silver lining around this plague of phone spam is that I know never to go to China since I'm apparently public enemy #1 based on the number of urgent notifications from the Chinese Embassy that I've been in indicted there.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:05 pm 

I suppose a side effect of getting a new phone number a few years ago is that I'll never know how many foreign countries have indicted me or are holding money for me in a trust that requires a consignment fee to release.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:57 pm 

Specdoom VOIP here! My phones go right into the "modem," assume that is the DAC that converts my old phones into digital signaling. No idea if I can even insert ANYTHING in that path. LONG story, but I MAY have FiOS available this summer, given I've had way, way more interruptions in specdoom service than I ever did with TWC, I may very well try them, should be cheaper for a year or two. Kinda good to hear you get NOMOROBO with FiOS as well. I ditched the TV package over a year ago so just internet and phone.

Not sure how you tell what NOMOROBO does or doesn't block, my phone does NOT show the number for the single ring. UNLESS you keep a list of all numbers that you enter there and compare them... I'd say 90% of what I now report is local exchange and invariably I get a blocked call or two every couple of days (the single ring).

BD, that's pretty clever, but VERY little mail spam comes from my "legit," listed in whois, address. A LOT of it comes from some maga-moron named Paul Carlson who ran all over giving out his name with my domain to every right wing outfit in the country. PLUS they will randomize a whole bunch of odd names (like "yf648$%@<mydomain>.com). Every few months, I get 30-50 of these but they ALL hit my spam folder, not my regular inbox.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:20 pm 

Don't have any caller ID equipped phones or answering machine, but if I want see what # hit my answering machine, with FiOS, can log in to see all calls outgoing/incoming. Same exchange ones always hangup before message starts. Single ring I never bother looking up.

Yeah, the FiOS -- also just phone/internet -- gives me 75 up/down. Before that, had POTS with DSL and
was lucky to get 1 mbps and it usually went out every week or so. Completely miserable service. This actually works out to be much less expensive and has been very reliable.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:55 pm 

Sometimes I get a little twinge of guilt knowing that I created a ton of free email accounts that I periodically log into to stop them from going dark but otherwise don't read anything that hits them. Those are the email accounts I use for registering accounts online now. Free email hosts generally have pretty good spam filtering because the better they filter the less disk space they need, although you occasionally get some backroom deals letting site X or Y by unmolested in exchange for financial compensation to the site... but, remember, I don't actually use these for anything besides online accounts.

During my bi-yearly login one of them usually has a bunch of political stuff in the inbox, near as I can tell it's because some conservative website regularly resells its user list off to everyone who'll give them $.05 because, yo ho ho, capitalism. That or they're really, really, really bad at security and their user lists routinely get pilfered by criminals. Although not sure why criminals would send me conservative political nonsense, wouldn't they try to sell me something to put some pep in my step or a rock in my sock? Dunno its been a while since I've gotten a whole lot of spam on my normal email (greylisting REALLY cuts down on spam, like over 90%). Damn I just remembered the filters I used to run when maintaining my own server, far and away the most effective filter was if from: and to: are the same, mark as spam. Wish I could do that with a managed email host. I remember we used to tie an onion to our belt, which was the style at the time.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:29 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, there's an interesting story behind that nickel. In 1957, I remember it was, I got up in the morning and made myself a piece of toast. I set the toaster to three: medium brown.Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:56 am 

Damn, in 1957 I was just barely discovering stuff like White Silver Sands... clueless to making my own toast or onions on belts (I do remember pooling my allowance to buy my first pop album "Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb" although I think that was a few years later!!

My understanding is the one ring and done means nomo picked up on a number you previously reported. My phone itself has a call black where there are NO rings, but it only holds 30 number and does register in my phones recent caller memory.Think I can also set up another 30 with specdoom... wish I had an unlimited caller block, then I could not spend so much time reporting stuff w/nomorobo.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:52 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Kookie, Kookie, lend me your comb
Kookie, Kookie?
Well now, let's take it from the top and grab some wheels
We're well along and talk about some cuckoo deals
But Kookie, Kookie, lend me your comb
Kookie, Kookie?
Now you're on the way, miss, and I'm readin' you just fine
Don't cut out of here till we get on Cloud Nine
But Kookie, Kookie?
I've got smog in the noggin ever since you made the scene
You're the utmost
If you ever tool me out
Dead, I'm the saddest, like a brain
The very utmost
Kookie, lend me your comb
Kookie, Kookie?
Man, I got my British lighters and my flapsy-colored pen
You're gonna send me to that planet called
You know it, baby, the end
Kookie, Kookie?
If you ever cut out, you might be a stray cat
'Cause when I'm flyin' solo, nowhere's we're on that!
Kookie, Kookie?
What's with this comb caper, baby?
Why do you wanna latch up with my comb?
I just want you to stop combing your hair and kiss me
You're the maximum utmost
Well, I'm beat and I'm dreams goin', I'm movin' right now
'Cause that's the kind of scene that I dig
Baby, you're the ginchiest!

Released March 1959

Spike Jones released a version of the song on his 1960 album 60 Years of "Music America Hates Best".

We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Gonna Use It released a version of the song on their 1986 album The Vindaloo Summer Special

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:24 pm 

I am humbled...

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:56 pm 

Speaking of music to hate, here's a program on WFMU, in NY FM 91.1 (WFMU nominated by Rolling Stone as one of the best US radio stations. Haven't kept up with it in recent years, but spent many enjoyable wasted hours when I did). Used to be called "Atrocious Music", since apparently renamed "Incorrect Music."

EDIT uh oh, looks like it's been gone since 2002 (shows how long I haven't kept up) although DJ Irwin Chusid still appears to be active. Hard to believe they exhausted the genre. Would think it's inexhaustible, infinite.

>>An asylum of visionary music, covering sounds that are atrocious, outsider, blasphemous, or just plain WRONG..."

https://www.airnyc.org/info/Incorrect-Music-234019.html

http://wfmu.org/playlists/IM

WFMU schedule https://www.wfmu.org/table

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:11 pm 

Didn't Doctor Demento have to move once after his music collection caused the foundation of his house to re-settle?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:23 pm 

I suppose so.

http://www.drdemento.com/