XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:24 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quite scary.

Attachments:
StrtScamSm2.gif
StrtScamSm2.gif [ 101.77 KiB | Viewed 72 times ]
StrtScam.gif [101.65 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:05 pm 

In an ideal world Apple would slam them out of existence with a over 9000 pound hammer due to trademark infringement.

Of course thanks to our wonderful EU overlords, now we no longer can find out who owns which domain or sometimes even what registrar created the domain, making it harder to track the miscreants down.

In this case it appears to be GoDaddy:
https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name= ... cbook.live

That DNS provider seems sketchy to me too, it was registered around the same time so I bet it's the same guy just hosting DNS servers to shovel data for all his crap domains:
https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=alleasydns.com

This way as his sites get shuttered he can just change DNS records to point to his new hosting providers and so on. Getting his DNS domain shut down would really cram a pie in his hole.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:55 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks MB. :)
Quote:
In this case it appears to be GoDaddy:

Bad news is that our hosting service, WegFaction is now part of GoDaddy. :(
Quote:
They say there’s strength in numbers.

That’s why we’re happy to tell you that WebFaction has joined forces with GoDaddy.

From now on, you’ll have the brawn of both brands in your corner.

So, you can count on access to ever-bolder products, upper-echelon service, and an even brighter future for your business.

In the coming days you’ll start to see the GoDaddy logo appearing in a few areas of the WebFaction website and in your control panel.

Of course, we know that not everyone likes change, but don’t panic. The aim of this process is to get you one step closer to unstoppable. Nothing we do will slow you down.

And if you need a little extra peace of mind, you can garner some from the fact that the GoDaddy group is trusted by more than 17 million customers around the world.

We’ll be sure to keep you up to date with the process, filling you in on further changes and ensuring you’re the first to know about improvements to products.

Until then, best regards from the new supercharged WebFaction and GoDaddy team.

WebFaction - Smarter web hosting

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:43 pm 

thats a pretty convincing phish!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:03 pm 

I see system damage listed as 28.1% and I wonder just what their metric for that is.

I wouldn't fret much about GoDaddy, their hosting is kind of meh in terms of performance which is why I only use them for DNS at work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 pm 
Master

Webfaction is currently run independently of their deeply unappealing regular hosting. How long it stays that way remains to be seen, but the buyout happened back in 2016 and things don't completely suck yet, so perhaps Webfaction was just an incidental acquisition as part of gobbling up a bigger hosting provider, and no one at corporate has actually noticed yet.

Really, it's just the cycle of life: Small plucky innovative hosting providers start offering good quality service at reasonable prices with helpful support and communities, growing rapidly as customers jump ship from big old nasty miserable hosting services. Then the big old nasty miserable services see a successful competitor rising up and buy them out. Then an even bigger and suckier hosting service buys that one, and finally you're back where you started, trying to jump ship for a small plucky innovative hosting provider offering good quality service at a reasonable price. And the cycle repeats.

- Anonymous