XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:13 pm 

SOLVED!!!

I figured if custom worked for maps, I could try some of the options in custom for Google on the MBP.
I notice it kept webgl on Google's main page - so the custom is for all of Google it seems. No harm, thus far.
I tested by checking "frame" in custom for Google and now Google works on Mr H's MBP too.

YEAH!!

This has been a tough two days, but I think I am finished now.

Last edited by Mrs H on Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:03 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great work Mrs. H, thanks for the report. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:42 pm 

*eats Mrs. H's computer*

Ghom nom nom... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:03 pm 

BDAqua wrote:

I didn't know you were watching this one.
Thank you for your compliment!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:04 pm 

Squishy Tia wrote:
*eats Mrs. H's computer*

Ghom nom nom... ;)

:shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:18 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Mrs H wrote:
BDAqua wrote:

I didn't know you were watching this one.
Thank you for your compliment!

I watch them all to learn or see if I can help... there wasn't anything I could offer when we had WZZZ's fantstic help already. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:54 am 

Hmmm, hadn't bothered with google maps on the 60esr or anything post 57 for that matter. WebGL is definitely needed for street view/images etc, where in WF (56) or the 52esr wasn't needed at all. Without WebGL Maps still loads OK by itself.

No idea yet what the difference is between red and green. Will have to look into that.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 8.46.31 AM.png [99.33 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Btw, if you or anyone else here using the 60esr wants to see it configured to look as close as possible to the way FF looked pre-57/Quantum, let me know and I can PM you the contents my Chrome folder (based mostly on Aris's work here and on other things I picked up in various other places. Will probably even work, at least to a certain extent with the 62. But there some of your own modifications will be required. Perfectly easy to install or remove in FF Profile in seconds, if not wanted or messes something up. Makes the 60esr much more user friendly. Only thing is I probably won't be able to do any further customizations based on your particular needs or setup. But may make an enormous difference without that. I'd be curious to see if it can be used as is.

Screenshot what my FF 60esr looks like (a lot more in bookmarks, in the bookmarks toolbar overflow menu >>, FF preferences, and even brings back something like the old FF status bar--I also use an addon that brings back the loading bar similar to the one of Status-4-Evar), but can't post all that in screenshot.) Screenshot shows my various addons, my bookmarks toolbar, etc, but the Chrome folder won't bring any of those over, should only affect the look of what you already have.
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 9.08.32 AM.png [81.66 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

EDIT: another btw, no need to allow google analytics ever, as NoScript uses a surrogate script for that that tricks google into thinking it's being used/allowed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:04 am 

WZZZ wrote:
Hmmm, hadn't bothered with google maps on the 60esr or anything post 57 for that matter. WebGL is definitely needed for street view/images etc, where in WF (56) or the 52esr wasn't needed at all. Without WebGL Maps still loads OK by itself.

No idea yet what the difference is between red and green. Will have to look into that...

EDIT: another btw, no need to allow google analytics ever, as NoScript uses a surrogate script for that that tricks google into thinking it's being used/allowed.

How did you know to check off webgl for google (and thus for maps)? Or did it just come to you that way?
Maps loaded a map without it of Vermont, but nothing I could do to get beyond that - no search, no options nothing.
Now it works, but slow on Mr H's MBP, so for maps he says he'll now use Safari.

NO WAY to DELETE a per-site site once it's there! (unless you go though some complicated coding thing) so I switched google analytics to untrusted and I hope that will take care of it - am I right?

I did a bit of searching about red and green - has something to do with difference between how it views http:// and https:// sites was the best I could figure out. I saw lots of examples with just about everything in green here:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fir ... ide-1.html

And it says on this site about the padlock, but that's what is either red or green:
The padlock symbol allows you to match the rules in the four scopes earlier either to websites that are served through the secure tunnel (SSL/TLS) or any (HTTP). This means that if you go to https:// versus http:// version of the same domain, should they exist, the behavior may be different.

Thanks for all your support here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:57 am 

Got WebGL idea from you. :)

Maybe spoke to soon about google analytics surrogate. Definitely exists in the older NS, but not certain that or any of the other surrogates have been enabled yet in the new NS. So keep it blocked.

Don't know why you say you can't change permissions of an item in per site. I'm seeing options there for custom, untrusted, default. Oh, you mean delete an entire domain in per site. Well, setting it to untrusted should accomplish just the same.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:42 am 

WZZZ wrote:
Got WebGL idea from you. :)

OH! :o I thought your maps worked OK before I started to scream and complain.

WZZZ wrote:
Maybe spoke to soon about google analytics surrogate... So keep it blocked.

Don't know why you say you can't change permissions of an item in per site. I'm seeing options there for custom, untrusted, default. Oh, you mean delete an entire domain in per site. Well, setting it to untrusted should accomplish just the same.

Yes, I mean delete it (google analytics, that is) entirely - which is why I had to go for untrusted.
I searched and saw others mentioning of the same inability to delete - there was a long explanation of how to do so, but it involved getting in way over my head into something that looked like coding, so I went for untrusted.

btw - 60 is super fast for me on the iMac in el cap.