XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:16 am 

Greetings to all from Okayama. It's been sunny since we arrived in Tokyo last week (a day late due to the storm that just about shut down Newark/NY airport.

Today - which is yesterday where most of you are - unless it's tomorrow... - I got an alert for Apple updates (security, itunes, safari) and Firefox esr update.

Are these things that I should do on the road when I normally don't do updates (I do have 2 portable HDs with me onto which I would do a hard drive back-up before doing the updates.

Are these pretty safe/ not likely to mess things up if I do them on the road? I figure when I see security update that it's important and I should do it - should I?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:35 am 

Should be safe enough if you can do backups (clones I assume) just before. I would be most concerned about having a reliable power source that isn't going to be interrupted: fully charged battery or update with power adapter plugged in.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:03 pm 

Yes, WZZZ, by backup I meant clone - using SuperDuper bootable clones are what I make.
We are in a new, high-power hotel (no pun intended) and as a matter of fact, in all our travels in Japan we have never lost power nor connectivity.

So, it's the right thing to do, after I make all the clones up to date. Of course, I should review before I do the update how to install the clones if something goes amisss - serioiusly, I've never had to do that, so I better learn.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:32 pm 

Its not all that hard. Restart, hold down option at startup, choose your backup bootable drive, boot off it, then superduper from the booted backup drive onto your regular startup drive. Everything on your regular startup drive then gets reset to the state of the backup drive.

I would recommend to be extra careful when you're on the road, so after making the backup and before installing updates take a moment to boot off the backup drive to make absolutely sure you can boot off it. If it boots, restart normally and install the updates onto your regular startup drive, fully confident that your backup drive is there to catch you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:34 am 

Thank you for the good advice. We are exhausted tonight but I will try the bootable HD to be sure it works. Tomorrow I'll do the updates assuming the backups work.

Is this security update super important? I assume all are. I hope it's OK to wait a few days before installing - I do that at home anyway. Is there something awful lurking out there?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:44 am 

I take all security updates seriously, bearing in mind however that even though some of these vulnerabilities may sound very alarming, usually, at least, what gets patched by Apple has not yet been exploited "in the wild." They are "proof of concept," meaning that exploits based on these have been demonstrated under "laboratory" conditions. My somewhat uneducated guess is that there's nothing here that's ready to bite us, just yet. Anyway the sooner the better.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:04 am 

Thanks, WZZZ

I want to do it asap, but I don't trust myself tonight.

It'll have to wait until tomorrow when we've hopefully had more sleep and I can think straight and hit the right keys.

Happy holidays to all who celebrate those holidays currently happening!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:57 pm 

Be sure to do the Safari update, even if you don't use Safari. It's an important update for Mail, and other applications that depend on WebKit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:09 pm 

Its important to remember one facet of security updates - once the update has been released attackers know where to look for the vulnerability. Even if an attack isn't in active use, after the update gets released it most certainly will be, and quickly.

Hope you keep enjoying your trip. We're celebrating a couple birthdays on Easter so I've (of course) got a couple presents to wrap before tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:58 am 

Thanks for the help and encouragement.
Done and done successfully for security update and Firefox 57.2.3esr update- but I have a few questions on what happened:

1. How can you tell what drive you are booted from?
When I booted to the external HD, I couldn't figure out how to tell I was there (I know this sounds really dumb) so I went to History in Firefox and saw that the places I had been that day didn't show, so it was booting from somewhere else (as in the external on which the last backup was done the day before)

2. When I booted from the external, SuperDuper opened up on its own. Do you you think it did so because it expected me to clone from the external back to the computer? I don't know what pref would make it do this.

3. I normally don't stare at the screen during an update so a lot of what I was seeing and hearing was new to me. When the update finished it went back to the App store and showed me a page of new things - but not the update page where I had 2 more updates to do. Is this what is supposed to happen?

4. Safari update? WZZZ mentions its webkit and mail. On the road we use webmail from our ISP not macmail - can this wail til we get home or should I just bite the bullet and do it too? I have found at home a few times I had to use Safari as Firefox just wouldn't work on some sites (Florsheim shoes of all places, and one other store I can't remember which - plus the United Mileage Mall worked better with Firefox and only worked if I disabled adblock plus!)

5. iTunes update? Will this effect backing up the iPhone?

Thanks - as always - I couldn't do this without all your help!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:08 am 

Can't say anything about SuperDuper, don't use it, no experience with it. No experience with iPhone and iTunes updates, but EDIT, nothing urgent about the iTunes update. Pretty certain that can wait.

1. How can you tell what drive you are booted from?

Apple icon>About This Mac>Startup Disk

3. I normally don't stare at the screen during an update so a lot of what I was seeing and hearing was new to me. When the update finished it went back to the App store and showed me a page of new things - but not the update page where I had 2 more updates to do. Is this what is supposed to happen?

Nothing to worry about.

4. Do the Safari update. It's very straight forward, doesn't involve a restart. Safari--for WebKit--isn't just Mail, lots of other things affected.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:56 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
4. Do the Safari update. It's very straight forward, doesn't involve a restart. Safari--for WebKit--isn't just Mail, lots of other things affected.

DONE! Thanks for pushing me to do it. Nail biting moments - it seemed to take forever to finish that last little 1/64 of an inch on the progress bar

Now in addition to iTunes, which I'm waiting on, Remote Desktop Client update has shown up.
Necessary now?
OR can I wait?

We go to Miyajima today - blossoms still lovely. Yesterday we saw what will probably be the best blossoms of the trip at Tsuyama Castle 1.5 hours from Okayama.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:09 pm 

Nothing urgent about iTunes update.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:30 pm 

Mrs H wrote:
2. When I booted from the external, SuperDuper opened up on its own. Do you you think it did so because it expected me to clone from the external back to the computer? I don't know what pref would make it do this.

The reason you found SuperDuper open there is because when it cloned that drive it also made a copy of itself just as it was open on the Desktop original. That's all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:39 pm 

I have Finder set to show me all mounted drives, and also set to sort the desktop by kind. In this arrangement the booted drive is always listed in the upper right, which is the first disk on the desktop.

You can also use the Go menu in Finder, select Go to Folder, and type in /Volumes which will show you all mounted volumes. The booted drive will be the only one that's listed as Alias under "Kind." (it's an alias to /)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:00 pm 

roam wrote:
The reason you found SuperDuper open there is because when it cloned that drive it also made a copy of itself just as it was open on the Desktop original. That's all.

Thanks that makes good sense.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:01 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I have Finder set to show me all mounted drives, and also set to sort the desktop by kind. In this arrangement the booted drive is always listed in the upper right, which is the first disk on the desktop...

I thought I did too. But the upper right was still showing the internal HD.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:02 pm 

What about that Remote Desktop Client update - can I wait till we get home?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:45 pm 

So long as you don't have Screen Sharing or Remote Management enabled under Sharing (in system preferences), I think it can wait.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:24 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
So long as you don't have Screen Sharing or Remote Management enabled under Sharing (in system preferences), I think it can wait.

Maybe a qualification of some kind is needed? Were you assuming when you wrote this that Remote Desktop Admin would be involved?

Without a qualification of some kind, this left open the possibility that you were suggesting to update the Remote Desktop Client for any kind of screen sharing. But I don't see why the client update would be needed, if ones Mac is not already a client--or a potential client--of the Remote Desktop Admin (offered as a separate install from the MAS) on another Mac somewhere.

I do have screen sharing enabled in Sharing (hardly used--use file sharing 99% of the time), but it's only to connect the iMac and Mini (both hardwired) on my LAN. (This way, it's completely behind the router, and never outward facing to the Internet.) Since, even though I have screen sharing enabled, there's no Remote Desktop Admin involved, and I have zero need for the client or client update, even though it's part of the OS and is perpetually offered to me and I just ignore it. I would think that the ARD (and client) would be useful or needed on a network consisting of multiple Macs, such as in a school or enterprise situation, not for a simple LAN of only two Macs. Maybe you already use it?

Had me a little concerned until I looked further into this:
Quote:
Apple Remote Desktop consists of two pieces of software: a client portion and an admin app. The client portion is part of macOS and can be updated with a software update. You can download the Remote Desktop admin app from the Mac App Store.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206178

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:23 pm 

The Remote Desktop Client is essentially a VNC Server (and a few other gizmos that are only used by ARD Admin). Screen Sharing uses the same VNC Server. This is why if you have Remote Management enabled you can use MacOS's screen sharing function (a screen sharing client) to connect to the RM system.

The difference is the ARD client gets updated a whole hell of a lot more often so if you're using screen sharing, you probably should get in the habit of installing the ARD updates. The extra gizmos only apply if you enable remote management but the VNC server is called either way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:52 pm 

Quote:
The Remote Desktop Client is essentially a VNC Server (and a few other gizmos that are only used by ARD Admin). Screen Sharing uses the same VNC Server.

I don't have RM enabled, just screen and file sharing. Not sure I understand the takeaway from what you wrote. Are you saying that even if Remote Management isn't enabled, the Remote Desktop Client is still involved and I should do the update? If that's the case, are there any security implications--or any other issues--to either doing or not doing the client update? I have never done any of those updates, and never noticed anything going amiss as a consequence.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:57 pm 

ARD Client and Screen Sharing are essentially two ways of accessing the VNC daemon on your system. The ARD Client includes some other functionality for copying files to the system. They infrequently update the ARD Admin application which typically corresponds with an ARD Client update being available.

Let me put it another way. Right now the ARD Client is installed on your system. Every copy of OS X/macOS since 10.4 or 10.5 (I forget exactly when they rolled it in, its been around for ages) includes the ARD Client. The ARD specific components are (normally) only remotely accessible if you enable Remote Management but the VNC daemon is remotely accessible by enabling either Screen Sharing and Remote Management.

Since you have no control over the ARD Client being installed, you probably should keep it updated. Is it critical? I don't know. Apple doesn't always explain what they update. Do you update and possibly suffer or do you not update and possibly suffer? I generally look at the ARD Client as being a low risk update if you're not using either screen sharing or remote management, and more urgent if you're using either one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:15 pm 

Looks like it's update time. Thanks.