XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:37 am 

I bet this has been discussed but I didn't find the discussion where it was.

I have the MBP for travel running standard Firefox, the two other machines use esr version.

I see ONLY on the travel MBP that the few add-ons I use (NoScript, AdBlockPlus and Check for Updates in Help Menu) are marked Legacy in yellow. When I click on that box I get told that after Ff57 those add-ons will be non-functional.

I just found this which looks 57 compatible for Ff. I'll search more and perhaps find the others as well.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search

I found exif viewer in a confusing state with both the legacy and the +57 versions out there both called v3.0.
I could find nothing for NoScript except words about whether it would/could be developed in time for the change over at v57Ff.

Can someone, please, remind me why I am still using the esr release. I started using it when I had to because Snow was no longer supported. Now I am using El Cap. I remember WZZZ, that you had a clear explanation for why sticking with esr made sense. I looked at the timeline for it and was reminded that there are risks involved in using it, but I couldn't find specific info on what those risks are.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:05 pm 

One good reason to stick with the ESR is because after FF 57 your extensions will either need to be rewritten from the ground up or discontinued. ESR won't increment away extensions until 59.0, and if you want to stay on ESR 52 you can safely do so until some time after June 2018, which is when the final 52 ESR will be released (52.8.0). They may release ESR 52.8.x to patch bugs, but it will be EOL when Firefox 61 comes out in September 2018.

Right now developers have three months to either update their extensions to Web Extensions (which is impossible for some) or perish when Mozilla drops the axe in 57. Their remaining userbase will be people on ESR at that point.

There are zero risks involved in using the ESR provided you keep it current. It has every security update that the normal Firefox has, at least the ones that apply to the ESR. It doesn't have the features of the normal release, but that's kind of a good thing in my book. In all likelihood the risk you had running ESR on Snow was that it quickly went out of date.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:14 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
...ESR won't increment away extensions until 59.0, and if you want to stay on ESR 52 you can safely do so until some time after June 2018, which is when the final 52 ESR will be released (52.8.0). They may release ESR 52.8.x to patch bugs, but it will be EOL when Firefox 61 comes out in September 2018...
There are zero risks involved in using the ESR provided you keep it current. It has every security update that the normal Firefox has, at least the ones that apply to the ESR...

Perfect, thanks.

Now tell me how can I get the travel MBP onto esr rather than standard Ff which is where it currently is. We leave for Japan soon and I don't want to do updates whilst there, nor do I want to lose the capability of the now marked "Legacy" add=ons. Is there a way to switch - without changing profiles?

I tried to import (or export) bookmarks on the travel MBP from Safari (which is on the iPhone) to Firefox and had no luck - then I read it wasn't possible - so starting out with a whole new profile will be tough.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:46 pm 

I found what I was remembering about my question above, it's this reply from WZZZ from here:
https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12 ... sr#p106331
WZZZ wrote:

This is the current 52.3.0esr http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rele ... 3.0esr.dmg

However, a caveat: if you've already switched to FF 55, then the new profile it created will be incompatible with the 52esr. Copy an earlier profile from one of your backups and replace the new 55 profile with that. In fact, whether or not you switched to the 55, I would recommend using one of those earlier profiles.

Location is your home folder>Library>Application Support>Firefox>Profiles. With FF closed, click open the adjoining triangle and drag over only the folder inside to drop into the current Profiles folder. You'll be told that there's a newer version there, so just click the option to replace it. Then run the dmg installer, above.

I've already updated Ff on the MBP traveler to the latest version 55.0.3 (I recall, it's not turned on now)
Sounds like I can do what WZZZ is saying here to get to esr52.4.0. I should have an older profile without too much different as far as bookmarks go from where I am now.

So the folder I move is not the one called PRofiles, but the one within that titled "a whole lotta numbers and letters.default" ??

I think I can follow his instructions OK - BUT WAIT - I just went to look at the profiles folder on the iMac to be sure I understood and Library is gone.
Why doesn't it stay visible in Finder once I've made it be so??? I got it back, but it'll be gone again I bet - how to keep it permanently available?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:11 pm 

I've never had issues going backwards in Firefox so long as there isn't corruption in the profile.

If you go up to the Go menu in Finder and hold down option it'll show Library as a folder to open.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:54 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I've never had issues going backwards in Firefox so long as there isn't corruption in the profile.

If you go up to the Go menu in Finder and hold down option it'll show Library as a folder to open.

This seems to go alone with what WZZZ says about 55 and downgrading but I haven't read the whole article yet:
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/02/you-c ... -profiles/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:09 pm 

Aha, WZZZ is correct. I haven't tried to regress since 55 came out. Sounds like the lunatics have assumed full control of the asylum. "We're going to break regression but not document it outside of source, nyah nyah nyah."

If you don't mind creating a Firefox Sync account (with a very strong password), you could sync your account to their servers, completely trash all traces of your profile, then switch to 52 and sync it back down into what amounts to a new profile.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:05 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Aha, WZZZ is correct. I haven't tried to regress since 55 came out. Sounds like the lunatics have assumed full control of the asylum. Won't this WZZZ trick work?

But won't this WZZZ plan work?

Mrs H wrote:
I found what I was remembering about my question above, it's this reply from WZZZ from here:
https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12 ... sr#p106331
WZZZ wrote:

This is the current 52.3.0esr http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rele ... 3.0esr.dmg

However, a caveat: if you've already switched to FF 55, then the new profile it created will be incompatible with the 52esr. Copy an earlier profile from one of your backups and replace the new 55 profile with that. In fact, whether or not you switched to the 55, I would recommend using one of those earlier profiles.

Location is your home folder>Library>Application Support>Firefox>Profiles. With FF closed, click open the adjoining triangle and drag over only the folder inside to drop into the current Profiles folder. You'll be told that there's a newer version there, so just click the option to replace it. Then run the dmg installer, above.

I have the 52.4esr (and 52.3esr) Firefox downloads and copies of my earlier Profiles from pre 55 standard version.

If I replace the 55 Profile (which I assume is the one in the App support, firefox, profiles location) with the older one (from v54? or perhaps earlier? - prior to upgrading to 55 just the other day, I hadn't upgraded since our Spring trip in March/April so I may have a profile from 53 even - and I label my copies of profiles so I know which version they came from) I'm guessing if I go with the most recent BEFORE 55 I'm good. And then install 52.4.0 esr - should that take me back??? I think that is what WZZZ is saying about using the earlier profile and how to move it into the Firefox App support location.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:40 pm 

If you have a compatible profile stored someplace, his plan will work fine. Based on this particular issue it looks like you just need the profile to be from a version before 55, since that's when the format changed.

If you don't have a compatible profile then you can use Firefox Sync. Sync isn't 100% foolproof, it will reinstall add-ons and their configuration, plus cookies, passwords, and whatever else you chose to sync, but typically doesn't restore the environment, like the order things appear on the menu. It just kind of tacks the new stuff on at the right side and then waves its hands in the air like "Hey man, I just work here." If you extensions were present but disabled they will be added in disabled form. And you need to wait until the circular arrows stop spinning on the old browser, when they're spinning sync is still uploading/downloading information.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:53 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:

Yes, that's how I got to library.
But it doesn't stay visible - I have to do this each time I want to see/use it. Does that seem right?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:20 am 

To keep the user library always visible (for El Cap as well)

http://osxdaily.com/2014/12/16/show-use ... -yosemite/

And just spent maybe a half hour posting instructions for creating a new Profile and what files and folders to move over from the current one. But for some reason, it didn't post and I lost everything. Quite glad you already have a backup esr Profile to move over and don't need those instructions.

But be sure to first trash the current FF55app (actually 56 is the latest), at least temporarily. Then, after you have the backup 52 Profile in place--with the 55 Profile in the Trash, or at least moved to the Desktop for safe keeping, should you want it back, you need to install the current FF52.4esr app. It's no longer possible, as it was in Snow, to just copy over the App. It must be installed from scratch.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rele ... 4.0esr.dmg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:42 am 

WZZZ wrote:
To keep the user library always visible (for El Cap as well)...

Quite glad you already have a backup esr Profile to move over and don't need those instructions.

But be sure to first trash the current FF55app (actually 56 is the latest), at least temporarily. Then, after you have the backup 52 Profile in place-...

Well, the problem is - the 53 and 54 versions of the profile I have are not esr Profiles for the travel MBP, but standard profiles. I don't think I ever used esr on the travel MBP.

BUT, those profiles are from pre v55 which is where I think the Ff trouble begins.

I am sorry that you lost all your instructions - I've sometimes hit preview and forgot to post, Mr H does that all the time and swears a blue streak when he does.

Do you think your simple instructions will work using a pre 55 Ff profile, (but not an esr profile?)
I did see from a mozilla forum where one person seems to say so:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 58685b5461
also this about refreshing Ff - but I think I'd lose a lot by doing this:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... d-settings

This seems to say I can do what you suggest with the earlier (v53 or 53 standard) profile, if I read it correctly:
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/02/you-c ... -profiles/

"...In short: If you want to switch to ESR, it may be a good time to do so before the Firefox 55 release. You may alternatively create a backup of the Firefox profile before you upgrade to Firefox 55, and restore it after you install Firefox ESR on your system.

Mozilla notes that the organization changed the "on-disk format of persistent storage in profiles" in Firefox 55, and that this change is the reason why you cannot downgrade to an earlier version of Firefox after you used the profile on Firefox 55 or newer...."

Does what I bolded say that I can use an older non-esr profile - and then do what we are talking about following your simple directions, or is it trickier than that?

Thanks for the instructions on how to keep Library visible.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:10 am 

What about connecting one of your backup drives (clone?) to the MBP and move the esr Profile over from there? Otherwise, if not possible, then try the earliest non-esr pre-55, the 53. Must be done with FF closed.

Again, you must trash the current 55 app first, then install the 52.4.

And if you need particular bookmarks, passwords etc., post back for instructions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:46 am 

WZZZ wrote:
What about connecting one of your backup drives (clone?) to the MBP and move the esr Profile over from there? Otherwise, if not possible, then try the earliest non-esr pre-55, the 53. Must be done with FF closed.

Again, you must trash the current 55 app first, then install the 52.4.

And if you need particular bookmarks, passwords etc., post back for instructions.

I may be back for more advice.

The clone idea is a non-starter: the MBP traveler never had anything but standard Ff installed - so the earlier profiles are all standard not esr. I do have older profiles for the MBP pre v55 and I guess based onn what you say and what I read in one of those links I can try.

You can't mean take a profile from another computer can you? That wouldn't work either (even if it would mechanically/technically work) because the bookmarks on the travel MBP are specific to it - and different from those on my iMac, which has a bazillion bookmarks including the ones on the MBP.)

But I can't really imagine that you mean move a profile from another computer to the MBP - can you??

The worst that happens is I lose all the bookmarks and add-ons and have to begin from a virgin Ff esr?

So - in a nutshell -
close Ff
put Ff 55 application into the trash
remove the working folder with the title 'lotsa numbers.default' in the app support location into the trash
replace it with the older (from v52 or 53 - standard Ff) profile copy (not a backup using that Mozilla backup too, but just a "duplicate" made by hitting duplicate and getting the whole folder from app support for firefox copied)
Start Ff and see what it looks like

Is that more or less right?

Thanks for all your help!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:08 am 

Sure, no reason you can't move the Profile over from another computer. I do,it all the time between iMac and Mini. The addons might not be the same, and some might need to be freshly installed, but if you like you can easily move over bookmarks, passwords and a number of other items from the current 55 Profile on the MBP. Instructions for that, if you want. Just be sure to save it to the Desktop, as a backup, so you have those items. But maybe the first thing to try is the non-esr 53 Profile.

Writing from iPad at the moment, can reply to your other questions in a bit when I get to a real computer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:02 am 

Continued:

Quote:
So - in a nutshell -
close Ff
put Ff 55 application into the trash
remove the working folder with the title 'lotsa numbers.default' in the app support location into the trash
replace it with the older (from v52 or 53 - standard Ff) profile copy (not a backup using that Mozilla backup too, but just a "duplicate" made by hitting duplicate and getting the whole folder from app support for firefox copied)
Start Ff and see what it looks like

Is that more or less right?

Everything's OK until you say "Start Ff and see what it looks like." No, remember that first you need to trash the 55 app, THEN replace the 55 Profile with the 53 Profile from the backup (after saving a copy of the 55 Profile as a backup) then install the 52.4esr app. And then you can open the FF app, not before.

Also, these are the items you can move over from the 55 Profile, so that it stays much the same. A lot of things here, but underlined/bold and in color are probably the most important. (From http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... er--posted only for purposes of seeing this in the original, but don't follow their instructions for how to move the Profile over.) Addons that are needed and aren't present will need to be freshly installed.)

Files
Bookmarks and browsing history:
places.sqlite - Bookmarks and browsing history. Note that Firefox 3 stores both bookmarks and browsing history in the places.sqlite file.

Cookies:
cookies.sqlite - Cookies (if you care about keeping cookies, I don't)
Download actions for file types:
• mimeTypes.rdf - What action to perform when downloading certain types of files (save or open with a specified application).
Form history:
formhistory.sqlite - Saved entries for web forms and the Search Bar.
Passwords: (Both of these files must be copied)
key3.db - Key database for passwords.
• signons3.txt (Firefox 3) or signons.sqlite (Firefox 3.5) or logins.json (Firefox 32+)- Saved passwords. Note: signons.txt was used prior to version 2.0.0.2.
Permissions:
• permissions.sqlite - Per-site preferences for allowing cookies, images, popups, and extension install permissions.
Preferences:
• user.js (an optional file) and prefs.js - User preference settings. Not recommended to transfer if you had problems in your old profile. You may need to manually edit the paths in prefs.js to reflect the new profile location. If the new profile doesn't have the same extensions, you may have some unused preferences set by those extensions, but that usually doesn't harm anything.
Security certificate settings:
cert8.db

So, with FF closed, go to the Profile you are moving over (or have already moved over) but don't open the Profile Keep it like this (ignore name of my Profile, which appears here.) You are moving items over to the Profile itself, closed, not opened.

Then, one by one, move these highlighted items over from the 55 Profile backup, at which point you will probably be told that it already exists, do you want to replace. Yes, you want to replace.

Alternatively, you can move over the current 52.4esr Profile (or 52.3, whichever it is) from the other Mac and do much the same, according to what is needed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:43 pm 

Thank you WZZZ, you are a just too good. Is this the post you lost before?

I can't get to this until tomorrow, but I'll report back - and ask questions if need be.

My bad, on the steps - I was doing it from what I remembered and no looking back at your steps - to see if I knew what to do and of course, I was not exactly right. Thanks for setting me straight.

So, you are saying I could also take the 52.4.0 profile I have copied here on the iMac and take parts of it over to the MBP via the HD backup on my external? It sounds like there's a way to take just some of the bookmarks? I have 2 folders of bookmarks on this machine related to the upcoming trip and I couldn't figure out how to get them to the travel MBP. Can you tell me, please, how can i do that? Or is it all or nothing? And if I copy as you describe I assume you can only do that from one source. Why is there all this mention of Ff 3 (just from the original source and I should ignore this?):

"Bookmarks and browsing history:
• places.sqlite - Bookmarks and browsing history. Note that Firefox 3 stores both bookmarks and browsing history in the places.sqlite file."

I peaked into the "numbers/letters.default" folder in firefox app support on the iMac to see what these files look like. Interestingly there I found also places.sqlite.corrupt - I don't know what that is all about!!!

Whenever I do an update to Ff I always get the message a NEWER item names Firefox appears in this location, do you want to replace it? I wrote a thread about this and no one could figure out why. That still is the case - so whatever message I get when I'm moving the files you mention I'll ignore.
I take it - it's best to move from v55 all that you mention not just the red underlined one.

To be super clear here, I would be (in your case) moving the items into the folder "mnan0hhnTEST" without opening it?

You said "Also, these are the items you can move over from the 55 Profile, so that it stays much the same."
I didn't change anything after updating to v55 standard from v54x standard.
Would I be better off moving the items you mention from my copy of the 54 Profile which won't have any ill effects from 55?

And hopefully, when this is all over my list of add-ons (of which there are really very few) will no longer scream "LEGACY" at me in bold yellow boxes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:56 pm 

Just to be clear, there is no difference between a Firefox ESR and Firefox profile. The only real change is the change in databases in post-55. If you have a backup of the current profile in a pre-55 state it will be fine for this, no matter if you were running ESR on it or not.

I've had issues with copying profiles between systems if the full path to the profile is different (e.g. /Users/Username1/Library/blah/blah/ and /Users/Username42/Library/blah/blah/). They may have resolved this but it's been a historic problem with Firefox dating back to version 1, and they don't seem too keen on fixing issues lately, just introducing new problems... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:50 pm 

Yeah, just use the 54 Profile backup from the MBP. Move over what's needed there from the current 55, if anything. Ignore FF 3., just consider using what's in red.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:43 am 

WZZZ wrote:
Yeah, just use the 54 Profile backup from the MBP.

So - it can just be done with the older profile, perhaps?

WZZZ wrote:
Move over what's needed there from the current 55, if anything. ...

:confused: But how will I know - or can I open Firefox and look at what things look like and still then move things over from the 55 profile?

You were so specific before about not opening anything until the moving was complete that I don't know if that applies still, now?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:58 am 

So long as the older profile is from a version before 55 it'll work just fine.

Actually in reading up it looks like you can just delete the requisite updated files from a post-55 profile and FF pre-55 will recreate them, although you may lose site-specific settings. I have Firefox set to clear everything every time Firefox closes so I'm probably not the person to ask about how much of an impact that would have. However even in my case I would need to delete those files, they would just be empty of information (or at least should be).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:01 pm 

Mrs H wrote:
WZZZ wrote:
Yeah, just use the 54 Profile backup from the MBP.

So - it can just be done with the older profile, perhaps?

WZZZ wrote:
Move over what's needed there from the current 55, if anything. ...

:confused: But how will I know - or can I open Firefox and look at what things look like and still then move things over from the 55 profile?

You were so specific before about not opening anything until the moving was complete that I don't know if that applies still, now?

Close/Quit FF, make a backup of the 55 Profile and move it to the Desktop, trash the current 55 Profile (don't empty the Trash until everything looks good) move the 54 to where it's supposed to go in /Application Support, trash the 55 app, install the 52.4esr app.

Then with FF still closed/quit, move over everything I marked in red above to the 54, now in place, from the 55 backup on the Desktop, which will restore bookmarks, passwords etc. from the current 55 to the 54. The idea is since the 54 is a backup and maybe not that recent, it may be missing newer bookmarks, passwords etc. This will bring that stuff back. If it is recent enough then maybe no need to move anything over.

Open Firefox only when the 54 Profile is in place. But FF must be quit/closed when moving over any items from the 55--or any time you do this. The 55 backup on the Desktop has to be open to select stuff and move it over, obviously. Hold Option key down when dragging stuff over. This will leave the backup with all the current items. Otherwise, just dragging them over without Option down, will remove those items permanently.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:23 pm 

Thank you WZZZ for sticking with me on this. I am sorry to be so dense here, but it seems to be getting more confusing as the day progresses. Errand day this morning and just got home. New keyboard is sick (that's a real winner, it lasted less than a week)- caps lock light fails, so I have to sort out a return Anyway...I've inserted questions in color thinking that would be easy.

WZZZ wrote:
Close/Quit FF, make a backup I do this by duplicating, that's what you mean, yes? the whole Profile folder, yes? of the 55 Profile and move it to the Desktop, trash the current 55 Profile (don't empty the Trash until everything looks good) move the 54 profile, yes? to where it's supposed to go in /Application Support, trash the 55 app put in trash, but still I don't have to empty trash?, install the 52.4esr app.

Then with FF still closed/quit, move over everything I marked in red above to the 54, now in place, from the 55 backup on the Desktop, which will restore bookmarks, passwords etc. from the current 55 to the 54. The idea is since the 54 is a backup and maybe not that recent, it may be missing newer bookmarks, passwords etc. This will bring that stuff back. If it is recent enough then maybe no need to move anything over. I haven't worked at all on the MBP in firefox, or anywhere else for that matter, after updating Firefox to v55, so nothing should be missing from the bookmarks or whatever in the pre55 profile. Does that change your thinking on this?

Open Firefox only when the 54 Profile is in place. But FF must be quit/closed when moving over any items from the 55--or any time you do this. The 55 backup on the Desktop has to be open to select stuff and move it over, obviously. Hold Option key down when dragging stuff over. This will leave the backup with all the current items. Otherwise, just dragging them over without Option down, will remove those items permanently.If I'm trashing this anyway, why do I need to save the current items in the 55 backup?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:05 pm 

Quote:
I do this by duplicating, that's what you mean, yes? the whole Profile folder, yes?

Yes, right-click (or ctrl-click) select Duplicate. But not the entire Profiles folder, the one inside that with funny name/numbers etc. like mine named "mnan0hhn.TEST" Move that to Desktop. Or if you like, you can just drag the one inside Profiles to the Desktop, leaving Profiles empty. You will be moving the 54 backup so that it's inside Profiles.
Quote:
I haven't worked at all on the MBP in firefox, or anywhere else for that matter, after updating Firefox to v55, so nothing should be missing from the bookmarks or whatever in the pre55 profile. Does that change your thinking on this?

Yes, already said if backup is recent enough, no need to move anything over. And then no need to make a backup of the 55, but I'd do it anyway, because weird shit sometimes happens. You never know.
Quote:
If I'm trashing this anyway, why do I need to save the current items in the 55 backup?

Always good idea to keep something until you're 150% certain it's no longer needed. Easy enough to trash it later on. But looks like you won't be moving anything over anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:10 am 

Finally I had 30 minutes to do this and YES!

Done! And it worked.

I did it the simple way once we established that my v54 profile was not that much different from my more recent one (which is to say the v56 profile might have had one more bookmark added, but who cares?) I have a copy of the folder for the profile from v56 on the desktop and there is just one folder in the bookmark backups folder that is not in the bookmark backups folder from v54. I don't know if I can move that one folder or not. Can I? probably not since that is just a backup folder. I don't know if there's a way to peak at what is in that folder - otherwise, I'm just sticking with things as they are.

All is copacetic!
Thank you all for your help!