XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:04 pm 

After being locked out of my iCloud account for the third time in 6 months and
spending an hour and a half with a very helpful Apple support tech, I've come to the conclusion
that Apple has killed any functionality of Mail prior to Snow Leopard with their verification processes.

So I'm looking for suggestions for a email client that would be compatible with
Apples verification schemes, that would work in Snow Leopard ( 10.6.8 ) and possibly Leopard ( 10.5.8 ).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:00 pm 
Master

Can you describe the verification process and where it goes wrong?

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:26 pm 

Basically, Mail 4.6 asks for my password, which it didn't before and rejects the password,
wherein iCloud locks my Apple ID. Log in via a web browser, create a new password,
plug it into Mail, rinse lather repeat.

The Apple support tech ran me thru recreating a new account in Mail, and it was the same
thing, iCloud would reject the password, he did call back and suggested that since Mail 4.6 is
old Apple may have considered it to be a third party app, and suggested that I set up
2 Factor Authentication, I nixed that, I'm running Snow Leopard on a 2009 iMac,
and I wasn't going to open a can of worms.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:02 pm 
Master

I would give Thunderbird a try, assuming they're not doing something nonstandard. Apple Mail is, in my humble opinion, a steaming pile of dung so I'm never surprised when it does something bizarre, which seems to be pretty often.

If you try Thunderbird, make sure you set up the account to use SSL for both IMAP and SMTP, and (most likely) a cleartext password -- which is safe since the connection is over SSL.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:45 pm 

Not certain this is relevant, but just to note that beginning with 10.6 (or even before, don't really remember) and now even on 10.11, Apple Mail will occasionally complain--every few months or so--that an account requires my password, and then that account goes offline, becoming unusable--and eventually all, or most of my accounts start complaining in the same fashion. I discovered long ago that the solution to this is to simply hit Cancel and dismiss the dialogue, or just quit Mail and then reopen, and then Mail is happy once again. I used to try entering the password for the affected account, or doing various things in Keychain, none of which worked, and drove me up the wall.

Other than that, Mail seems to work OK for me. That said, I don't have an iCloud account, have never set it up, nor will I ever. But if this is how this maddening sequence begins, you might try doing what I do first.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:07 am 

WZZZ, I've experienced what you described with Mail. and as you said dismissing the
password request seemed to work in the past. But what's interesting is I use Mail for other email accounts
and it works just fine, iCloud is the issue and seems to be tied to the new verification process.

Anon, I looked into Thunderbird, and there doesn't seem to be a version available anymore
for snow leopard.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:32 am 

Besides being a browser (I'm hearing about quite a few Firefox diehards switching) SeaMonkey has an email client. Have never used either one and no idea how to set up just the email client on its own, if that's desired. You can probably find documentation somewhere for this.

The SM version for Snow Leopard is no longer being updated or supported, I gather. But it can't be any more out of date than Mail for 10.6 already is.

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/2 ... quirements

For the 2.0, which I think is the latest version for 10.6, but you can check to be sure that's correct. Latest is 2.46, but minimum 10.9.

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.0

Also curious to know what you use iCloud for.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:54 pm 

jimcha, here's some links to old thunderbird mac versions:

31.3.0 snow leopard
16.0.1 intel leopard
3.1.11 ppc leopard

here's another link from mozilla itself for 31.3.0:

https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunder ... mac/en-US/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:42 pm 

WZZZ, I only use iCloud for email, which the old .Mac/ MobileMe/ Me was rolled into iCloud.
other than that nothing, I don't believe in cloud computing.

mc68K - thanks for the links on older versions of TBird, I wonder with the 2FV enabled now
if the Leopard version of TBird would work.

Interesting post over at https://www.macintouch.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=426&pid=20835#pid20835 about this 2FV where another 10.6.8 user had the exact thing happen
and once they enabled 2FV everything seemed to work again.
Apple seriously needs to separate email from the Apple ID, it's silly that all is tied together.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:04 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I wondered if it was that warning about application specific passwords myself!?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:13 pm 

BD, it seems to apply to iCloud users, or anything related to an Apple ID,
I don't know if the 2FV applies to the Apple stores ( iTunes, etc. )

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 pm 

If you want a commercial option that's fully updated and still receiving updates, Office 2011 will continue receiving updates until October.

Unfortunately 2016 requires 10.10 as a minimum so 2011 is the end of the line. Its really quite interesting, 2011 is 10.5 minimum, 2008 was 10.4 min, 2004 was 10.2 min, v.X was 10.1 min... 10.5 to 10.10 in one release is nearly as far as they moved in the previous decade. I wonder why they gave Apple that gift?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:47 am 

jimcha, re. Office 2011, PM me, if you are interested.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:20 pm 

I'll pass on Office 11, never had any MS products and not going to start now.
Actually there was an exception, I really liked iView Multimedia, when MS bought it
I followed till they changed the name and functionality ( I think ? ) I stopped using it
after a while, and I don't remember the reason why.

As an update to my Apple Mail issues, I'm now unhappily accessing my emails thru Firefox ESR
that will have to change soon since the ESR releases require an OS update, 52 won't install on Snow Leopard.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:25 pm 

Office only seems bad until you see what Apple has been doing with iWork. If I have to hear another coworker whine because someone ran off and upgraded to a newer version of Pages or Numbers or Keynote and now nobody can open their files...

:upset: