XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:23 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Was interested in comparing Ubuntu64 & Ubuntu32, & to other distroes,but none I've tried run, or I don't know how to run them...

HardInfo was one, even GeekBench didn't work!?

Tried a couple others also... can't even find them the second time!??? :(

What the FN is going on with the Linux world?

Seems they've not only gone Icon crazy, but now like to hide things for no good reason until you mouse over them & click a few times to activate those hidden options even though the space they occupy is still taken up by the blanks!???

It's not as bad as W8 yet, but looks like they're working on it. :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:17 am 

Ubuntu has taken a turn for the worse I'm afraid.

There's still Kubuntu, Lubuntu, and a myriad of other flavors with slightly more sane GUIs.

As for actual benchmarks, sorry, don't know. I generally use *nix based on compatibility with the environment, in that wherever I went they already had the flavor they wanted installed and I just used that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:45 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks MB, did try some other flavors, but they seem to be trying to outdo each other in useless superfluousness & Eye Candy! :(

All neat things from a programmers point of view, as it's cool to be able to create things never done before, but user wise... NAH.

Patiently waiting for Apple Programmers to come up with a way to display everything in less than 2 bit Grayscale with full support for 256 bit Transparency! ;) :fishsmack:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:07 pm 

Well, Kubuntu uses KDE, and Lubuntu uses LXDE which looks really X-Windows-ish. Both are substantially more responsive than standard GNOME Ubuntu, Lubuntu especially.

I got Lubuntu working on a 1.4Ghz P4 desktop-crammed-into-a-laptop-case (replete with excessively poor SiS integrated video chipset) with 512MB of RAM. Ran quite well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:15 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thank, will try them later! :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:28 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks again MB, Lbuntu installed & it has Benchmarking tools installed, working on Kbuntu 32 & 64 noe. :)

One thing I noticed,,, there's almost no Leechers with Linux Torrents! :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:33 am 

I blame iPhone madness but yes, sorry state of things what happens out of the box with Ubuntu now. Seems my decision 20 years ago of not installing any system software sober was right one. :) :snail:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:59 am 

Ubuntu getting more bloated is apparently inspiring a lot of slimmed down distributions, though Lubuntu has been around for well over a year and Ubuntu really went off it's rails in the November (October?) release.

To cut a long story short, I happened across another "light" Debian-based distro:
http://crunchbanglinux.org/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:23 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks again MB, will try that one, so far it's hard to tell if any *buntu is any more usable than another, or less aggravating.

I really feel bad about complaining about these Linux offerings, seems some very well intentioned people put a lot of work into obscuring purposes/paths, er ummm, I mean making beautiful & complex Icons & Desktop backgrounds.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:40 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Whew, I've never seen a more arduous install attempt in Parallels, both 32 & 4 bit, numerous Install questions I had only very vague understanding of!?

And all failed in the end with the 32 or 64 bit incarnations!???

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:09 am 

Can't help you there, I've never used Parallels, though I finally got around to installing my 750GB hybrid drive in the Mini this past weekend. Amazing what happens when you stop procrastinating.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:37 am 

I must really be getting into deep fat fired (fried?) curmudgeons. I have 10.4 Ubuntu and I am sorry but that 10.4 is the magic number; up there with Planck's constant and Avogadro's number. Everything beyond 10.4 turns out to be slimy shite. Tiger was/is better than anything higher (IMHO) why must they always break things when they "make it better"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:27 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Agree on Tiger, but Panther was a close second for me as far as OSX goes, but OS9 was far more useful to me... & stable too.

Sure OSX rarely crashes, but likes to quit working often enough... they need to remove the fully & the multitasking from the description of OSX... I'm off busy doing what Apple wants to do, I may get back to doing what you want to do... or not. :fishsmack: :coffee:

Can OSX get any grayer? Answer is yes if we change the name to iOS 7 or eVenMoreiOS 8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:17 pm 
Master

Apple should've gone with beige for OS X rather than gray. Beige, the color of conformity. Or is gray is the new beige?

Yesterday I committed a federal felony by jailbreaking my free second-hand iPod. I did it mostly just to nettle Steve's immortal soul. Since the NSA and FBI are reading this, I should further point out that I am deeply sorrowful for this legal transgression and wish to express my heartfelt and most sincere contrition for my personal role in wantonly breaking the social contract and undermining not merely our society, but the very edifice of civilization itself. :cry:

- Anonymous