XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:58 am 

i have a spare tibook that i want to install the PPC port of ubuntu 10.04 onto.

i wanted to give this to my mom for her bday, but the install became more complicated than i thought it was going to be. i thought that the installer would know what do do for partitioning on its own. :bonk:

i made a CD, and it boots off it fine. i get to where you partition, and if you accept the default option, it just seems to make one flat ext3/4 partition. from what i've read, you have to format it in a special newworld way for PPC macs. there's an 80GB drive in there, and 512MB mem (soon to be at least 768MB). so i know i need to make a 2x system memory swap partition (1.5GB) to and some special apple formatted /boot thats ~1MB in size

i read some docs, but in typical linux fashion, there's no definitive 'this is what you do' document in the first 3 google hits

any insight would be appreciated! i could also go with 10.4, but i wouldn't learn anything that way, and i think it might be slower

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:26 pm 

I'd let it try to format the drive how it wants to, and see if it works. It doesn't necessarily need a swap partition, or it may create one and not show it to you during install (last time I setup Ubuntu it worked this way, it just created a swap partition and didn't tell me it was creating one).

As for how, well, fdisk from terminal is the only way I know, and I'd need to actually sit in front of it and play with it to figure it out. Sorry, normally I'd just download Ubuntu and fire up a virtual machine but Crucial lost my &@*($&*( RAM so this system still runs slower than molasses when I fire up a virtualizer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:16 pm 

ok so you were right MB! :mrgreen: it does boot without a special config

...but the thing appears to have a video issue when it heats up :( exactly what my friend was talking about when he gave it to me

i'm assuming this isn't easily fixable?

Attachment:
Photo Dec 15, 3 45 11 PM.jpg
Photo Dec 15, 3 45 11 PM.jpg [ 368.84 KiB | Viewed 2893 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:20 pm 
Master

mc68k wrote:
...i'm assuming this isn't easily fixable?

You could always try popping it in the oven at 400° F for ten or twelve minutes. Other than that, probably not practical to fix.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:27 pm 

boo :upset: into the surplus pile :cry: i forgot how sexy these old tibooks are!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:48 pm 
Master

At least give it a try! What's the worst? You end up with a TiBook that doesn't work?

Just pull the motherboard, set it on the oven rack, and come back after the solder melts.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:42 pm 
he who stacks pork

Linux was a pain in the ass for me. I’d tried on three different PPC machines (no portables, but one was a 1.4GHz Mac Mini), and each time there were times when it just worked, and then suddenly it would stop working. The newer the version of Ubuntu, the more problems I’d encountered. I’d given up about 2 years ago, although it was kinda cooled when everything was working properly. I still would love to have 3dfx support in Ubuntu in my 1GHz G4 upgraded Yosemite G3… can only dream on this one. :fishsmack:

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:29 pm 

i'm torn on 10.4/10.5 vs ubuntu on PPC. i have another working 12" pbg4 candidate that i got the go-ahead on. 10.04 IMO is the best linux they came out with. that new ubuntu 11.10 is pretty garbage. i switched my parents PC whitebox to the newest linux everytime it comes out. up to this point things stayed pretty much the same. but this new unity interface is total kiosk mode. the computer as a whole feels slower too. the menus are too simplified. they do that hide the file menu thing like windows vista/7. my mom couldn't even figure out how to print (and still has trouble). 10.4 may be an old piece of shit by today's standards, but at least you get the whole mac user experience. the different linux flavors UIs bugs me sometimes-- they always look really cheap. i really don't see linux ever being more than a hobbyist OS. it's great you can tweak every piece of the OS, but the amount of forum reading doesn't make it worth it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:15 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Things started going downhill big time after 10.4.x, & it's snowballing bigtime in OSX, Windows, & even Linux now. :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:48 pm 

Linux has been snowballing for so long it's sprouted sticks for arms and two eyes made out of coal. Every iteration gets farther away from a mainstream desktop environment, and it never really got particularly close.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:23 pm 
Master

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Linux has been snowballing for so long it's sprouted sticks for arms and two eyes made out of coal. Every iteration gets farther away from a mainstream desktop environment, and it never really got particularly close.

And combined with the fact that all Linux window managers are so miserable that you'd want to chew your own leg off to escape, and aren't getting any better, I've found it somewhat difficult to get excited at the prospect of running Linux as a desktop operating system.

- Anonymous :|