XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:11 pm 

Installed Western Digital WD 512GB Black PCIe SSD M.2 2280 NVMe to AsRock Taichi Z270 motherboard today. Windows worked fine, Ubuntu 18.04 did not want to start, gave odd ATA bus errors. Long story short, WD 512GB NVMe does now want to exist with Asus made DVD drive. At least I finally got to change all the SATA data cables to the new ones I bought over an year ago. :whip: No help of course, but disconnecting the DVD cable helped. All the SATA headers are under the 1070 card, so this and installing Ubuntu to the new disk + moving data after a work day. 3 AM and coast is clear. :bonk:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:01 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Whew, excellent work though. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:55 pm 

Interesting. On my Z97 board two of the chipset SATA ports are on a SATA Express connector, but you can either use M.2 or SATA Express, not both, and when SATA Express gets disabled it disables those 2 SATA ports.

As an added bonus when running in UEFI mode the asmedia SATA controller, which they use to add the 2 SATA ports lost to SATA Express, are not selectable as a bootable device until after you install Windows on it, and then it shows up as a hinky Windows Boot Loader entry in the boot menu that seems to come and go at random. When running in CSM mode all ports with media attached are listed.

Gotta love Intel nickle and diming PCIe channels.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:49 pm 

Miero, what is your EHCI/XHCI handoff set to? There are three settings usually: Disabled, Auto/Enabled, Smart Auto/Smart Enabled. You don't want the last one. You want the second one.

Also, exactly what ports are all of the drives connected to? This makes a very significant difference because if your optical drive is connected to one of the ports that is disabled by using an NVMe drive, then you're going to get the conflicts you see. If the NVMe drive is your boot drive, you want it occupying the M.2 slot that corresponds to SATA0/1, and you want the optical drive on the SATA3 port.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:04 am 

This EHCI/XHCI stuff is listed as USB related, why is it relevant here? Tried it though, no help for this issue. My motherboard manual has 'M2_1, SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 share lanes', so I left SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 empty, as the NVMe sits in M2_1. All disks worked with Windows, just not with Ubuntu. There were some suggestions to adjust some UEFI/AHCI value or something like that, but I could not locate it from my motherboard settings. I have not been keeping myself up to date with motherboards since BIOS went away.

By the way, updating the NVMe drivers in Windows made it possible for Ubuntu to proceed a bit longer with the loading of NVMe stuff during the startup, but it still stopped to this part. And call me crazy, but I could not boot to Ubuntu install USB after I had installed the NVMe. I mean even if I removed the NVMe, I'm quite baffled. Ghost in the machine stuff. No idea what has changed here. Oh well, I haven't actually never used that DVD drive, just bought it a couple of years ago, since the old one stopped writing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:36 pm 

I've had really good luck building USB media using Rufus in Windows, I just point Rufus at an ISO and a flash drive and the result is happiness. Occasionally the USB media gets corrupted and I rebuild it but that's pretty rare.

I notice they added additional support for NVMe volumes in 18.04.1 which was just released today. So maybe try again with the latest ISO?

Of course the only reason I noticed is because I just tried to upgrade my 16.04 LTS and it told me no new release was found, which led me to poking around to figure out if 18.04.1 was released yesterday on schedule or not (I guess not?).