XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:01 pm 

Another 100% sucky move from Cupertino:

https://www.crystalidea.com/blog/fan-control-on-apple-computers-with-t2-chip-on-windows-boot-camp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:05 pm 

Apple no longer allows you to purchase computers, you're simply paying a fee so that Apple will allow you to take one of their systems home. You will do what they want with the system and nothing more.

Oddly enough reverse engineering for purposes of installing another OS is a pretty solid legal defense against DMCA claims. The question is whether anyone on this planet gives enough of a shit about Apple's overpriced underpowered overheating hardware at this point to go through all that effort.

Although criminals will probably have it cracked long before then. Closed source hardware and software has traditionally been the weakest, because there are so few eyes reviewing code & designs.

Last edited by MonkeyBoy on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

And all new Macs will have T2 chips. :upset:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Although criminals will probably have it cracked long before then.

I was just musing about that to myself... maybe a bit like people buying SW having more trouble than people that filch SW.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:07 am 

It was kind of eye-opening to spend some time in one of those "pc" sites where you get to pick whatever hardware you want built, right down to the color of screw heads (they do get silly at times). Can't remember the name of the site, but they started with several configured systems to which you could change EVERYTHING. I kept thinking wow, if only I could do this and build a Mac.Which got me to thinking of hackintoshing. Basically running X on hardware that met every single need I had. AND which was easily upgraded for specific components over the course of time. I understand building the hack from the hardware out is where most are at... but I'd rather have it built for me to my ideas of what I want. I HAVE read that the hardware MAY have to be specific but not sure I totally buy that.

Somehow or other I have this sneaky feeling they ARE going to intimately tie X to this chip.Something also tells me that they COULD tie it in so well, that hacking one's way around it may be virtually impossible. But no matter what, I can't get by the fact that Cupertino will never, ever build a machine I really want to buy. Not to mention that I THINK it may turn out to be a really big seller.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:04 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I thought that was a forgone conclusion about the T2 chip.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:55 pm 

I'm sure the only reason the T2 exists is to prevent Hackintoshing, which Apple could easily nip in the bud by producing the system everyone's been asking them to make for several years now, dating back to the time the original Mac Pro was still in production. A $1000 to $2000 minitower with 2 or 3 expansion slots. A miniature Mac Pro. Not an 8 slot $7000 tower. Not a $1000 monitor stand. A reasonably priced expandable upgradeable system. It's simply not that hard to do. They just are so intent on being trendy and gaudy that they don't listen to customers anymore.

The problem though is that the T2 isn't the solution they think it is. It can and will be reverse engineered and there's not a goddamn thing they can do to prevent it because they stupidly aren't allowing people to install Linux or BSD or whatever OS they want on the thing without jumping through Apple's hoops (esp. given that Apple refuses to allow anything but Windows even after jumping through their hoops). The only thing that can prevent it is for people to not be interested in doing it. That's it. And once they've reverse engineered the T2, people will use that knowledge to continue Hackintoshing. Apple will have, quite simply, wasted millions of dollars on copy protection when what they should have been doing is making millions of dollars by creating the systems people have been asking them to make.

It's disturbing to see someone smack their head into the wall over and over until there's a bloody mark on the wall and they're still continuing to do it. That's Apple the past few years.