XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New printer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:50 pm 

This topic is a bit of an orphan category-wise but here it sits.

Apple are quick to relegate yesterdays hardware as obsolete, but I truly had a piece of obsolete hardware that I retired recently. It was time to say goodbye to my HP4L laser printer, produced in 1994. Its demise was caused by broken plastic tabs on a lid that I think was causing light to bleed into the toner cartridge area causing the powder to fade. The broken tabs co-incided with the latest cartridge not lasting - fading to grey far too quickly.

Back then there was little choice in printers, either the cheap dotmatrix which was very similar to the operation of a typewriter, or the hugely expensive laser printer. As I wanted to produce professional looking invoices for a business at the time, I chose the HP4L and paid the grand price of $1,200.
It came with DOS drivers on 3.5" disks that worked well with my Win 3.1 PC.

When I changed to an iMac nine years later, I dragged it along with me by purchasing a Keyspan Parallel to USB adaptor cable. The guy in the shop was doubtful it would work, but it did marvelously and continued to be my printer for over 20 years.

Now it is back in its original box. I like to keep boxes as well. :roll:

I bought a Brother monolaser (L2360D series) to replace it and it has three way of connecting, no parallel port :cry: but USB, ethernet or WIFI. I plugged an ethernet cable into the router, [I then added printer] and my Mac found it on the LAN network and was able print. Fanstastic! At my printer rate of change this could be my last one. ;)

Post subject: Re: New printer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:19 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, I bought the hp LaserJet III for $1,200 & another $300 for a Postscript cartridge.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:34 am 

It seems a fact that while new technology is expensive it drops down over time. Today Tesla batteries cost thousands but if history is a guide, they will probably be a lot cheaper in ten years time. But for me, still too dear at this stage.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:13 am 

Yeah, paid a small fortune for first printer with crappy Performa. Whatever it was, it probably cost around $1200 also. Current printer is cheap HP for under $100, purchased maybe 7+ years ago, and keeps going. But uses relatively expensive cartridges--don't use it all that much, so cartridges not a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:52 pm 

The Commodore 64's disk drive cost as much as a Commodore 64. There were hard disk drives for Amigas that cost more than the Amiga they were connected to.

I'm really happy with my hp 8600 at home. Postscript, ethernet, duplex, four individual color tanks (CMYK)... works fine for my needs. It was $250 but so far it's been a nice little tank of an all-in-one. Unfortunately HP shut down their "printables" service which let the printer, on its own, go out and print items on a daily or weekly basis. I had it print a single page cartoon once a week. Kept the printheads from getting clogged. Now I have to remember to print something periodically and I've been too distracted/tired on the weekends lately to do anything except sleep.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:04 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Was saving up for a $10K 5 MB Hard drive for my Compucolor IIs... when they went out of biz.

The built in 51.2 KB Floppy held many dozens of files, when most computers of the time still used Cassettes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:14 pm 

The father of a gradeschool's friend of mine bought the original IBM PC. He then expanded it with 5.25" disk drives and eventually bought a hard disk for it. The hard disk was as big as the PC itself, and those things were a full size tower flipped on their side - not small. I have no idea how much he paid for it nor what size it was, but I imagine he spent more than the computer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:45 pm 
Master

Congratulations on the new printer, but I'm sorry for your loss. I have an Apple LaserWriter 16/600 with more than 850,000 pages on the clock, but I hardly turn it on anymore. It needs a new fuser, but it feels like an old friend. I just can't bring myself to get rid of it.

I also have a couple Xerox Phaser 6010s. When they were new they produced exquisite color prints, but I have no nostalgia for them. One just died. Whatever.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:47 pm 

There's an HP Laserjet 4000 printer at work with over a million pages on the page counter. Apparently it was a student printer for 5-6 years and students... don't really think anything about printing several hundred pages. With the speed of that printer they would have had to sit there for a couple days waiting for a few hundred pages to print though.

I once caught a student trying to printing the entire Maya user manual (750-odd pages) on a color printer, right when the rest of the class was trying to print their final project as part of finishing the course. Needless to say the rest of the class was not amused. And he did this before printing his final project too. Not the brightest bulb in the box.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:20 am 

We bought a Brother monochrome laser printer about a year ago for about $100 in a sale. We don't do heavy printing but it has worked well so far. I was getting tired of our inkjet cartridges drying out since we only print about 10 pages per month, and the Lexmark inkjet printer finally gave out after almost 10 years of service (purchased for $40 originally and about $400 of replacement cartridges :( ). We're still using the 'trial' toner cartridge supplied with the Brother printer. I connected the Brother to our home network via Ethernet to my Ethernet switch box and it appears as a wireless printer. It does have built-in wireless but it can be finicky and the Ethernet connection is solid as long as you don't mind an extra cable.

The model we have includes a scanner which actually scans in color even though the printer itself is monochrome.

When we first started out I was printing from my G4 with Tiger. Of course new printers don't reach back that far and I think this one called for Lion at least. I did find that I could access the basic printing features using an older set of Bother drivers though I had to spend an hour or two systematically working my way though available versions to find one that worked.

We figured 98% of the printing we do is text. We wanted a laser printer for toner longevity but didn't want to spend the additional couple of hundred $ for color. The 3 times a year we want something in color we'll go to a local print shop.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:19 am 

I'm printing very little these days but recently bought an inkjet (Epson ET-2550). I was surprised just how clunky the setup process was. Epson has never been great at making things simple.

Still, it's a continuous ink feed system with a simple scanner/copier function. AirPrint and wi-fi too. I got so fed up with changing cartridges and seeing them fail (some of the compatible ones that is.

You might remember that a few years ago RTMac had a lot of original Epson cartridges he gave away. Well, my now secondary printer was one of the printers covered by those cartridges and he kindly sent me a box of them. I'd been using them ever since except on the blacks which I was filling in with compatible cartridges.

I wonder where RT is now?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:54 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yeah RTmac???

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=68

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:02 pm 

Limnos wrote:
We figured 98% of the printing we do is text. We wanted a laser printer for toner longevity but didn't want to spend the additional couple of hundred $ for color. The 3 times a year we want something in color we'll go to a local print shop.

I was thinking along the same lines. The print shop quality is good and very cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:47 pm 

I liked my Brother laser, but the reason I killed it ended up being the same reason I liked it... the drum and the toner cartridge were separate. So you keep feeding toner into the same drum until the drum stops working, then you pick up a new drum and go on. The problem is that the older the drum gets the more likely it is to have problems right out of the gate, and getting new drums after a few years of ownership became impossible.