XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:39 pm 

This is a warning to all Windows 7 and 8 users that have the system set to accept and install Recommended updates: As of yesterday, 05/16/2016, Microsoft switched its WGX Windows 10 nagware popup mechanism over to the "Recommended Updates" scheduling system. That means that on any system on which Windows Update is set to download and accept Recommended Updates WGX will autoschedule the Windows 10 update, in full behind your back and without telling you in clear language up front.

So if you do not wish to upgrade to Windows 10, the very next thing you need to do is disable all automatic updates, permanently (or at the least until the "free upgrade period" of one year post Win10 launch has expired).

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:57 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks the reminder, just checked in Paralles/Win7, but will this affect VMs I can't attach at the moment?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:52 pm 

There's a way to disable Windows 10 updates via registry changes (AKA group policy). With those changes in place the nags are banished, and while the updates install they do nothing.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

I've got a couple hundred systems with nagware disabled, although I'll have to check my system at home tonight. I went ahead and enabled the Windows 10 upgrade on it, but of course, Microsoft being Microsoft, it won't install without bluescreening in the middle of the install (while running the installer - it's not like a reboot into windows and bluescreen, no, it starts the upgrade, gets about 10 seconds in then poof). Even when booted off USB install media (in fact that's the only way to determine it's a BSOD - when upgrading from within 7 it just hangs at that same spot). Anyway, Microsoft being Microsoft, because I possibly accepted the Windows 10 upgrade at some point in the past, therefore it must forevermore try to upgrade me at every possible opportunity even though it never, ever finishes the upgrade.

Great system you've got in place here Bill, I wonder why Windows 10 adoption rates are low. Image

BD, it'll affect them the next time they're connected to the internet.

Microsoft has been continuously updating their nagware components, no matter how many times I block them from installing they just keep updating it and hoping I don't remember what KB3035583 is.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:53 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks for the link MB, but I see no mention of Win 7 Ultimate!???

Will have to remember to disconnect from the Internet if I ever attach those VMs again, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:15 pm 
Master

Most VMs also allow you to take a (copy-on-write) snapshot of the drive so it's trivially simple, and very quick, to roll back to that point in time.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:47 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
There's a way to disable Windows 10 updates via registry changes (AKA group policy). With those changes in place the nags are banished, and while the updates install they do nothing.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

I've got a couple hundred systems with nagware disabled, although I'll have to check my system at home tonight. I went ahead and enabled the Windows 10 upgrade on it, but of course, Microsoft being Microsoft, it won't install without bluescreening in the middle of the install (while running the installer - it's not like a reboot into windows and bluescreen, no, it starts the upgrade, gets about 10 seconds in then poof). Even when booted off USB install media (in fact that's the only way to determine it's a BSOD - when upgrading from within 7 it just hangs at that same spot). Anyway, Microsoft being Microsoft, because I possibly accepted the Windows 10 upgrade at some point in the past, therefore it must forevermore try to upgrade me at every possible opportunity even though it never, ever finishes the upgrade.

Great system you've got in place here Bill, I wonder why Windows 10 adoption rates are low. Image

BD, it'll affect them the next time they're connected to the internet.

Microsoft has been continuously updating their nagware components, no matter how many times I block them from installing they just keep updating it and hoping I don't remember what KB3035583 is.

They added a couple new KB numbers now. They keep fudging with them. And if you have recommended updates enabled at all, the install-behind-your-back-ware gets downloaded and sets up the Win10 download regardless because it's on the recommended updates schedule, not the "optional" updates schedule. It bypasses group policy now if recommended updates are active. It's Microsoft's final push to force the issue on unsuspecting people. And if you dismiss the upgrade window with the "X", Microsoft now considers that to be accepting the upgrade, not dismissing/closing the window like every other Windows app in history.

Also, that article was last reviewed four months ago. MS changed their upgrade policies on May 16th, 2016.

Last edited by Squishy Tia on Wed May 18, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:47 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yes, thanks Anon. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:22 pm 

Ultimate is basically just Pro plus a bunch of media server features and some enterprise features. On Pro or Ultimate you can open the group policy editor and edit the local policy and implement the changes listed in the article.

And, yeah, Microsoft has kept pushing out new and exciting Windows 10 updates, although the last time they updated KB3035583 the other update that was released at that time was essentially just an update for another part of the Windows 10 update process, basically a compatibility list for applications that may be installed in Windows. There's really only two or three updates that do the heavy lifting, the rest are just updates for parts of them or other parts of the Windows 10 upgrade process.

And the registry keys are being honored. If you end up with a frankenstein partial/attempted/zomginstallwindows10plox installation of Windows 10 you can use the GWX Control Panel to get rid of all traces of Windows 10. As I said, I have a couple hundred systems with those registry keys set (through group policy), if they suddenly stopped working I would know very quickly, particularly since my desktop would also be affected.

Also, it looks like Microsoft has finally gotten tired of not releasing service pack 2 for Windows 7 and service pack 1 for Windows 8.1 that they've given in and basically done it:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/307173 ... -pack.html

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:13 pm 

I rushed over to my dentist's office today to try and stave off the Windows 10 Blitzkrieg that I knew was coming and I got all but one computer purged of the madness. Sadly the hygienist's computer had already succumbed to Windows 10's upgrade push, probably because like 99.99999999999999% of users she tried dismissing the upgrade window with the X which just confirmed it and didn't know it was going to go ahead and install Windows 10 behind her back anyway.

Thankfully I have 30 days from that fateful date to use the Recovery console to revert to Windows 7 Pro. That is, assuming the damn Windows 10 hasn't broken the x-ray equipment drivers by then or the pervasive database software.

My suggestion here is that anybody that has a Win7/8 computer and does not want Win10, download GWX Control Panel (standalone is best), and Never10. Use GWX CP to nuke Windows 10's malificent files and settings (including the 6.8 GB pre-download folder), and then run Never10 to verify "at a glance" that you did everything correctly. And make sure to read the user guide for GWX first!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:21 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks MB & ST! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:15 pm 

Actually, if the Windows 10 upgrade succeeds, you can just revert to Windows 7 from within 10 to bring you back to where you were. Disabling successive Windows 10 upgrades from that point is an exercise in frustration, but the GWX control panel seems to be the best option. Once you give Microsoft the green light to upgrade your system, they will keep upgrading that system until the end of time. Or until they decide to stop giving out free copies of Windows 10. I have a funny feeling in a couple months, after adoption rates plummet, they'll be singing a different tune about whether or not to charge for it.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:21 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Actually, if the Windows 10 upgrade succeeds, you can just revert to Windows 7 from within 10 to bring you back to where you were. Disabling successive Windows 10 upgrades from that point is an exercise in frustration, but the GWX control panel seems to be the best option. Once you give Microsoft the green light to upgrade your system, they will keep upgrading that system until the end of time. Or until they decide to stop giving out free copies of Windows 10. I have a funny feeling in a couple months, after adoption rates plummet, they'll be singing a different tune about whether or not to charge for it.

You can't revert from within Windows 10. You have to start up the computer in the Recovery mode and force the reversion there. No guarantees on it going smoothly though.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:33 pm 

Rubbish. I've done it. Hell, it even reminds you that you only have a month to revert after the upgrade completes.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... windows-81

There's never a guarantee, but I've done it on a few systems so far and it's worked each time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:12 pm 

I finally got around to reading up on Never10. It just sets the registry keys I linked to. Guess that KB not being updated for a couple months didn't mean it was inaccurate.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:23 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks MB.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:34 pm 

It's interesting, the later W10 upgrade malware-y programs have actually implemented logic to look for those keys. With them in place it can stop an upgrade that's scheduled to kick off, disable future upgrades, and - after a time - remove the installation media it downloaded (a whopping 6GB). The last doesn't happen instantly but should after a day or two.

It does explain why my Windows 10 upgrade from hell situation hasn't reoccurred.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:21 pm 
he who stacks pork

Fortunately I did this a long time ago… and also on my recent re-install a few weeks ago of Windoze 8.1 when the heat caused an SSD failure (replaced by reliable not-quite-as-fast-yet-gets-the-job-done spinny disk) in my Hackintosh.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:47 am 

I plan on cloing my win7 drive to another SSD and upgrading to win10 just so I can "lock in" my hardware UUID and license key for future upgrade access for free. Then I'll wipe the win10 drive and restore the win7 from the clone. I'll then have the choice of when I want to install win10.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:24 pm 
he who stacks pork

Squishy Tia wrote:
I plan on cloing my win7 drive to another SSD and upgrading to win10 just so I can "lock in" my hardware UUID and license key for future upgrade access for free. Then I'll wipe the win10 drive and restore the win7 from the clone. I'll then have the choice of when I want to install win10.

That’s a good idea. Futureproofing of retarded OS license, because you just never know what kinda crap they might try and pull. :roll: I’ve been mostly happy with Windoze 8.1 thus far… a bit more bloat than 7 though. Just think of how good Windoze 9 could have been!!!!!!!! :fishsmack: :lol:

But my god, Windoze 10 is really horrible!!! :o

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:23 pm 

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
Squishy Tia wrote:

That’s a good idea. Futureproofing of retarded OS license, because you just never know what kinda crap they might try and pull. :roll: I’ve been mostly happy with Windoze 8.1 thus far… a bit more bloat than 7 though. Just think of how good Windoze 9 could have been!!!!!!!! :fishsmack: :lol:

But my god, Windoze 10 is really horrible!!! :o

-he who stacks pork

The one thing I hated about Windows 8 was that you couldn't turn off the split screen view trigger, which is where you move the mouse to the top of the screen and drag down to split the view. I've accidentally triggered that I don't know how many times in Windows 8 by trying to access the top level menu bar. Windows 10 seems to have that off by default at least and Windows 7 never had it at all (yay!).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:38 pm 
he who stacks pork

Squishy Tia wrote:
The one thing I hated about Windows 8 was that you couldn't turn off the split screen view trigger, which is where you move the mouse to the top of the screen and drag down to split the view. I've accidentally triggered that I don't know how many times in Windows 8 by trying to access the top level menu bar. Windows 10 seems to have that off by default at least and Windows 7 never had it at all (yay!).

Oh man, yeah, that “feature” is really annoying. I accidentally discovered it a couple weeks ago and honestly it was driving me mad! :nothappy: I thought Windoze was broken so I restarted the computer and it went away… until I accidentally triggered it a couple days later. Now—upon reading your post—I understand what was going on. Thanks for the tips! :coffee:

-he who stacks pork