XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:35 pm 

I know someone with this machine who is down to 1.5GBon the C volume. The machine is crawling and stalling and is frankly a nightmare for even the simplest tasks. She has 80GB left on the D volume. She will be getting a new laptop at some point in the not too distant future but not right now.

I suggested swapping in a new, higher capacity hard drive as her Inspiron seems to be a piece of cake to get into.

The plan is to do what I did with the wife's MBP a few months ago. Basically clone the system over to the new drive using a SATA to USB cable. Install the new drive. Is this possible? If not, any alternatives?

It's running Windows 7. I'll also need some tips on a good free cloning application and in the case of my idea not being possible, a plan B :D

This is uncharted territory for me but the hardware side looks too easy to be true.

Is my plan failed from the outset?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:46 pm 

Clonezilla is a good free application. I remember it working fine last time i tried it about 3 or 4 years ago.

http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live.php

The way I would clone:

boot from clonezilla live CD with the old drive in and USB drive attached.
make image file on an external USB drive. sometimes there's a compression option to save space, with the tradeoff of a longer clone.
swap old drive with new.
boot from live CD with new drive in and USB drive attached.
clone from image file

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:43 pm 

You could also get a USB-SATA bridge (external hotswap bay or 2.5" case) that's supported by Clonezilla (since its Linux-based virtually all are) then do a disk-to-disk clone.

You could also do a raw copy from a bootable Linux environment using dd, however then you won't be able to expand c without deleting d (assuming this is a PC where the OEM maddeningly created two partitions on a single disk). However if you have a USB-SATA bridge you could - after cloning and swapping drives around - delete d on the internal, expand c, then recreate d and copy it over from the original disk. Or just nuke d with extreme prejudice and just leave them with c, copying data that was on d over to c. In the case of installed programs this isn't the easiest thing in the world though, since those programs will have to be reinstalled on c (instead of d).

You can basically do the same things on Windows as you can in OS X, but unless you want to buy backup software (like Acronis) the tools are going to be Linux terminal based stuff. Clonezilla basically walks you through step by step asking questions, then uses your answers to build the command for you, so it's not quite as bad as it sounds.