XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:40 am 

An SSD in my hackintosh is going to be re-purposed in an older PC laptop. I'm going to use Acronis True image (2014) to clone the current internal drive to the SSD.

The question: Will Acronis prompt to format for PC or will I need to first format that SSD for PC use? What format? It is currently 'Mac OS Extendd (Journeld)' GUID.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:31 am 

If the disk is less than 2TB in size you'll probably want to use an MBR partition map, then FAT32 (I think Apple calls this "MS-DOS (FAT)") formatting for the 1 partition.

Under older versions of Disk Utility it's pretty easy to select the partition type, when creating a new partition structure (select the disk, not the volume, on the left) there's a little options button down near the bottom that allows you to create the new partitions using either MBR, APM, or GPT.

The 10.11 and up version of DU... I don't know if I've found it. Most of the functionality is there, its just been moved around. I recall finding it right on the erase dialog once but last time I tried it was missing. Apple's replaced everything with buttons then put names on the buttons that doesn't always actually correspond with what the button is actually going to do. New DU is kind of a nightmare. Half the time I give up and do everything from diskutil in Terminal.

The only exception to this would be if your laptop boots in UEFI mode, then it may want the disk to be partitioned in GPT, but then - at least in my experience - most PCs don't, um, like Apple GPT formatted disks. The little 100MB partition Apple creates at the start of the disk tends to make them upset. In theory if you're going disk to disk or disk to image to disk the backup & recovery software should handle this complexity for you. I'm using an older version of Acronis which doesn't but I've periodically used newer versions and they did... so I guess what I'm saying is if you're in UEFI mode YMMV. At least you have the old disk to revert to if it doesn't work the first time around.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:07 am 

You should format the drive as free space in OS X. True Image 2014 has formatting capability and will both align the SSD sectors correctly and format to either your choice of MBR or GPT. You shouldn't need to go through some major rigamarole just to get the PC to see the proper partitions, since as free space there are no partitions and the drive is seen as fully available with no shenanigans.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:06 am 

It's never easy! Stay with me here while I explain where I'm at with this. I used Acronis 2015 to clone the laptop (older Gateway MD2419u) internal drive to the SSD. I then put the SSD into the laptop. Many auto 'restarts for updates' later I reached the desktop. (I'm not sure what all the updates were about since the original internal drive had been up to date when I started the process...but I digress).

The laptop seemed a little faster but not dramatically so. I decided to use a piece of software to check for SSD alignment called AS SSD Benchmark. It showed that alignment was fine but indicated "BAD PCIDE". I read that I need to change to AHCI in BIOS (that's a step all hackintosh users are familiar with). I went into the BIOS and I could find no place to make that change. The BIOS seems quite sparse. Once again I retreated to answers on the web and found several suggestions pointing to making a change to Win 10 regedit. Specifically this:

Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\StartOverride
Change the 0 DWORD value from 3 to 0.
Reboot, and change your SATA controller to AHCI in BIOS. Now let it boot into safe mode, WIN 10 will install required drivers for AHCI.

I made that change and it does not seem to have had any impact. AS SSD Benchmark still shows "BAD PCIDE". The laptop boots (slightly faster than before) and operates about the same as before.

I'm surprised not to see the AHCI option in the BIOS. I think that might be the answer to the speed deficit.

I'd love some advice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:05 pm 

What version of the BIOS is it running? The last version they released was 9A30b.

http://www.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content ... -downloads

Unfortunately a lot of OEM systems from around that era locked out AHCI support in the BIOS, the closest they come is "Native" support. This applies to both AMD & Intel systems, I have a lab full of Intel systems w/o AHCI support. :roll: Meanwhile my homebuilt system, which is a couple years older than them, includes AHCI.

Note that if you manage to get AHCI support your system is going to stop booting. Its currently setup for IDE/SATA mode, AHCI is considered a different disk controller.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:18 pm 

Is AHCI compatibility limited by hardware or software? I'm at the current BIOS version listed on the Gateway website for this laptop and appear to have no way to select AHCI.
Is it possible to add AHCI compatibility through software?
Do I understand correctly that with the current 'non-AHCI' status, the laptop will function just slow for an SSD?

Is there anything I can do to squeeze out better SSD performance from this older laptop?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:19 pm 

AHCI vs. SATA is basically a function of the hardware and to an extent the BIOS. I'm not entirely sure which chipset is in that laptop, its possible it doesn't support AHCI mode. What's more likely, given that (at least some) Athlon XP systems had AHCI support, is that Gateway specifically didn't allow users to enable it. Probably because it basically blows up your system to the point that it will stop booting, which will cause a support call, which OEMs (particularly consumer OEMs like Acer) absolutely loathe. The Intel PCs I referred to are limited for that exact reason, it's not a chipset limitation, the OEM just decided they didn't want to take support calls on a feature they deemed unimportant.

I may be wrong, but I think TRIM only works in AHCI mode. As a result your SSD may grow slower over time. If your particular SSD ignores TRIM and does its own garbage collection then this won't be a big deal, but most reasonably priced SSDs depend on TRIM.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:17 am 

MB do you think re-installing Windows 10 with this new SSD in place would have any impact with regard to speeding up SSD function?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:42 pm 

Its possible. If you still have the old HD with the old installation, what's the harm in trying? You could always just migrate it again if it doesn't help. If it does, then you hook it up via USB and copy your data over. Though you'll need to find all the installation media since programs don't normally move over cleanly just by copying.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:13 am 

I reinstalled win10. Used the MS media creation tool. That made the process quick and easy. The speed is slightly better. I didn't mention before an issue this laptop has always had...I thought the SSD might resolve it but it didn't.

From off, turning the laptop on always freezes on the spinning gear. Holding down the power button shuts off the computer and the second start (pressing power key) always results in a proper boot. Predictably annoying. Any thoughts on resolving this odd behavior?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:50 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
This might be to do with the Hybernate/fast boot setting, see the thread on switching off Hybernate for Choosing what the power button does.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/331283-31-boot-time

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:43 am 

db5owat wrote:
I reinstalled win10. Used the MS media creation tool. That made the process quick and easy. The speed is slightly better. I didn't mention before an issue this laptop has always had...I thought the SSD might resolve it but it didn't.

From off, turning the laptop on always freezes on the spinning gear. Holding down the power button shuts off the computer and the second start (pressing power key) always results in a proper boot. Predictably annoying. Any thoughts on resolving this odd behavior?
I haven't done this under 10, but older Windows had a logging mode where they logged events as the boot progressed and then if it hung at a particular point you could shut the system off, power on, and review the logs either from the rescue console or a subsequent boot (safe or normal).

I don't know how to do this in 10, though I'd be surprised if its functionality has been removed - it's probably just a lot harder to reach, same as the rest of 10.