XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows Firefox issue
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:35 pm 

I'm a bit stumped on this but don't use FF so much so I need some guidance.

One of my students told me today that she couldn't load the front page (www.lavanguardia.com) of one of our regional newspapers in FF (it loads in Chrome and IE). Any sub page from the site loaded fine but not the main one doesn't. The regional education dept here uses google and she can't get into the main site of that either (www.xtec.cat).

In fact, in FF the home page is www.xtec.cat but when she opens FF it takes her to what seems to be the main page of her ISP (www.jazztel.com). No idea why her setting is getting overidden.

Anyway, when she tries to load the front page of lavanguardia.com she gets a page that looks like it's from her ISP (Jazztell) with a list of pdf files that supposedly give instructions on how to change her dns settings (I've tried using auto for dns and using the offical servers from her ISP. I checked the hosts file which is clean. Tried fiddling with the Windows Firewall too. Just for fun I connected to her wireless network from my iPad and the frontpages of the problem sites loaded just fine (as they do in Chrome and IE).

A colleague of hers had recommended an online tool (adware?) to check her system but we could only find files to download and weren't sure if they were coming from safe sites or not. She's using avast.

Her ISP told her to turn off IP6 and I've tried fiddling with IP4/IP6 to no avail.

Any ideas? This seems limited to FF (can't remember the version but it has the new look. I think it's Windows 7.

thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:51 pm 

I would check the proxy server setting. Options, Advanced, Network, Settings... and Proxy should be at the top. Try setting it to No Proxy.

Another possibility is Avast has a proxy server built into it. Given the verbage "avast! SafeZone, you can set your favorite banking or shopping sites to automatically launch in a ‘virtual window’, to ensure that all of your sensitive financial transactions stay private" it certainly sounds like they're either using a proxy server or some kind of add-on/plug-in to intercept & redirect network traffic to whatever they consider a "virtual window."

If all else fails... just uninstall Avast and see if things get better. If not, reinstall it. It's a free product, not as though running w/o AV (provided you're sitting on your own private network and don't have a public IP address assigned to the system) for a couple minutes is going to nuke a system, so if it ends up not being the cause then it's simple to reinstall. If it does, though, bad Avast, bad... time to use something else.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:15 pm 

I'd check the firefox add ons -- tools > addons.

click on disable for the ones you do not want.

Robert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:49 pm 

There could be some mystery plugins installed as well. Whenever I see avast, I normally expect to find malware.