XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:10 am 

Replace Dell Dimension DE051, Intell, Celeron, CPU 2.53GHz, 1GB RAM?

My daughter is freaking out about MS's notice of their cancelling of XP's updates and "vulnerability" to malware. Can her captioned DELL be replaced with this rebuild using her old monitor?

Attachment:
Screen shot 2014-04-11 at 6.36.55 AM.png
Screen shot 2014-04-11 at 6.36.55 AM.png [ 76.33 KiB | Viewed 2612 times ]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330799347156&fromMakeTrack=true#viTabs_0

You'll notice the specs say "Dial-up Modem: Not installed / WiFi Wireless: Not installed" Does this mean something must be added for this machine to access our LAN? We have an ATT router which has been servicing three computers and a printer just fine up to now. More on that in another thread.

Also, what is the difference between an MS7 Pro and an MS7 regular? (As compared to an XP)

I know next to nothing about Windows and am trying to wade through her computer to find what I need to know to calm her down. She's too busy with school to learn anything new on the computer right now and since she uses Windows at work she prefers to keep it that way at home so a Mac is out of the question.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

...goldie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:02 am 

Nothing would need to be needed to access a LAN, since that's wired ethernet and it comes with an ethernet port. If you need to access a WLAN, a wireless LAN, then yes a card or device would need to be added and installed in the system.

Windows 7 Pro is the business version of Windows 7. Back in XP days you had XP Pro and XP Home, and Home had an abortion of a network stack that barely worked with other Home machines and didn't work well with Pro, while Pro worked with Pro and everything else that worked with a traditional Windows NT network - like Macs, Linux, etc.

Personally I would avoid purchasing a Pentium D system. Pentium D systems are essentially two Pentium 4 chips welded together and placed in a single CPU socket. A Pentium 4 all by itself generates enough heat under load to thermally throttle (slow down) itself, when you stick two of them together it's like they're in a race to see who can slow down the fastest.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:01 am 

Thanks MonkeyBoy!

I do need a WLAN as her computer is in another room from the router.

Thanks for the tip on the Pentium D. I'll keep my eyes open for that.

Is there a way of securing the Dell without having to have all the updates? Doesn't a firewall take care of that. My Mac is so secure I never have to think of security on it. All she does on it is email, surfing, and home bookkeeping the latter which, of course, could be vulnerable if not protected. Does a "Private Window" as on FFox take care of this?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:33 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Well, XP has always needed 3rd party protection, I think 3rd parties will continue to support longer, & I think XP is as safe today as it was 3 days ago. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:39 pm 

goldenbill wrote:
Is there a way of securing the Dell without having to have all the updates? Doesn't a firewall take care of that. My Mac is so secure I never have to think of security on it. All she does on it is email, surfing, and home bookkeeping the latter which, of course, could be vulnerable if not protected. Does a "Private Window" as on FFox take care of this?
you should have the updates set to automatically install. this is the default setting i think. w7 is better than xp with the automatic updates, because it logs out before it applies the updates and restarts. patching windows is more important than running antivirus if you have to choose between the 2. of course updates+up to date antivirus is the best protection.

sometimes windows computers come bundled with "trialware" antivirus, that expires after a year or something, leaving your computer vulnerable. if that is the case, i would recommend installing a free antivirus program like AVG or avast and completely uninstalling the trialware antivirus program

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:51 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Well, XP has always needed 3rd party protection, I think 3rd parties will continue to support longer, & I think XP is as safe today as it was 3 days ago. :)

Hi BD!
I'll look into what mc68k suggests. Looks like that will take care of her fears and save me a trip into Windows Wonder Land that I don't really want to make.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:03 pm 

XP is somewhat safe so long as all the software you're using on it is up to date. That means no Internet Explorer, no Windows Mail, no Office 2000, etc., etc.

If you stick with fully patched software and avoid all the unpatched software lying around the drive, its not much worse than any other OS.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:34 pm 
Master

Except that there won't be any more patches for XP from MS. It is time for XP to die, and rightly so. RIP.

If you don't use the computer to access the Internet or exchange data with other computers, then updates don't matter from a security perspective in much the same way that you don't have to worry about the flu if you hermetically seal yourself in a plastic bubble. Unfortunately that's not practical most of the time (although I wouldn't sometimes mind sealing someone else in a plastic bubble), so a supported OS is probably a pretty good idea. Windows 7 is a good choice to have a new system. Windows 7 is supported, will continue to be supported for a long time, and it doesn't make you want to scream and fling a brick through a expensive tinted plate glass window as MS headquarters the way Windows 8 does a lot more often.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:30 pm 

Annon, MonkeyBoy, mc68k, BD, Thanks all for your great help. I've learned more about Windows than I ever wanted to know but then "knowledge is power" so it's a net gain for sure. :roll:

It seems she yelled before she was hurt but the idea of having our computers taken away nowadays is cause for panic when you're a neophyte. It seems her brother got ESET for her and that she uses Google Chrome as her main server so I guess she's as safe as she'll ever be.

Thanks again, you guys are great. :D ....goldie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:20 pm 

Well, it's not quite that clear cut. Remember the bit I said about having current software? A lot of vendors are rumbling about cutting support for XP soon, meaning she may not be able to run Firefox, Chrome, etc. on her old system for much longer. Right now she is fine, but the 2nd Tuesday of May is when trouble could start, since that'll be the first patch Tuesday XP systems will have missed.

Unfortunately buying a used Windows 7 system right now isn't the greatest idea. Right now everyone is running around buying replacement systems and driving the price up. I can't quite believe it but old Core2 systems are going for $300 on eBay right now. Six months ago you'd have been lucky to get $150 for them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:16 am 

Thanks for the Tip MB! :coffee:

Are there special servers like Ten4Fox on eMac for Windows older machines? Ten4Fox is no FF but it's adequate for my eMac as I seldom use it anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:17 pm 

Not as far as I can tell, there are just old browser versions that work with old windows OSes. Look at what browsers work with Windows 95.

This just popped into my inbox:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 4EK1DN8950

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:37 pm 

Hi MB!

Thanks for the link, it looks good but she seems to be satisfied now the panic has passed and things are working well. I have all this information in file in case things get iffy again. :)

You've been a big help.

....goldie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:31 am 

No problem. The wonderful thing about computer hardware is that if you wait, the stuff you're interested in usually gets cheaper. Computers depreciate faster than cars.

Though once you they get to a certain age, the parts for those computers start rising. DDR2 RAM right now is expensive compared to DDR3 RAM ($80 vs. $40 for 4GB).