XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: a real dilly
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:30 am 

Hardware: Toshiba Satellite U400 series
TP-Link router with a 3G USB stick ISP connection.
Software Vista Ultimate
the problem - inconsistent connection to the internet.
LAN Ethernet and wireless possibilities
basic trouble shoot: Ethernet cable is working with Linux and Macs
wireless connection is strong: works with other PC laptops and Mac PB just fine
Primary issue is that the Toshy powers on and makes a strong LAN connection to the router via Ethernet cable.
But then the internet connection does not work, IE and Firefox both are unable to connect while the terminal successfully pings google.com
Of course Vista us a hopeless piece of shit as it offers to self diagnose the problem and then comes up with "all fine" no problem. It does that a lot.
The router works fine with all of the other computers and with my kids PCs (wireless) when they are home.
at first it was suggested that it was a time out issue with the lease renewal or something of the DHCP nature.
So I identified the MAC address of the Ethernet card and assigned a fixed address to it, I also did the same thing for the wireless connection. assigned IP addresses out side the normal range of 100 - 106 that can get assigned via the dynamic host protocol.
for some reason the Control Panel>Network map gives a message that the router is incompatible. i find that hard to believ as my son has vista on his PC and it connects just fine.

I am not sure there is much help for this, sometimes the PC connects just fine for a while and then looses the cnnection I am sure that it would connect directly with the 3G stick.but during this whole time of flippyfloppy connection the terminal pings google.com just fine.