XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:29 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
As Windows Latest reports, it appears that an automatic update, known as Security Intelligence 1.313.1638.0, which was only recently released by Microsoft, is causing Windows Defender to show error messages saying “Threat service has stopped. Restart now,” and “Unexpected error. Sorry, we ran into a problem. Please try again.”

Quote:
Fix the issue
If you’re relying on Windows Defender to protect your PC, and you’re unable to get it to run, then you’ll be understandably keen to fix this issue as soon as possible.

It seems you can’t just uninstall the update to get it to work. However, Windows Latest reports that if you perform a System Restore to a date before you installed the update, that should fix the issue.

To do this, type ‘System Restore’ into the search box of the taskbar. Click ‘Create a restore point’, then in the window that appears, select ‘System Restore’.

Click 'Next', then choose a restore point from the list. There should be a Restore Point from a date earlier than April 16, which is when the update was released.

Before you click 'Next' to move on, it’s a good idea to click 'Scan for affected programs' to see what (if any) programs will not be installed if you use this restore point. Once you’ve done that, click 'Close', then 'Next', then 'Finish' to confirm you want to restore this particular point.

https://www.techradar.com/news/microsof ... aight-away

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:50 pm 
he who stacks pork

I am 100% giving up on the Windoze bullshit world. If I cannot do with with iOS or macOS, then I give up. Parting out my Z97 based system (the one that would not take to Hackintosh). My condolences to any/everyone who feels like they’ve been raped in the ass in regard to positive end user experience with any Microsoft operating systems. In their defense, some of the best hardware (input devices) I have and am currently using were made by Microsoft (Sidewinder wheel/pedals driving controller, and 20 year old optical mouse).

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:13 am 

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
I am 100% giving up on the Windoze bullshit world. If I cannot do with with iOS or macOS, then I give up. Parting out my Z97 based system (the one that would not take to Hackintosh). My condolences to any/everyone who feels like they’ve been raped in the ass in regard to positive end user experience with any Microsoft operating systems. In their defense, some of the best hardware (input devices) I have and am currently using were made by Microsoft (Sidewinder wheel/pedals driving controller, and 20 year old optical mouse).

-he who stacks pork

Unfortunately I can't do without Windows. I play games. Most of them are Windows only, like Disgaea or Star Ocean or any Square-Enix title. And Witcher 3 of course. So yeah, stuck with Windows. But I held my version at 1903 and won't move up until a new 2xx3/9 version is vetted by other gamers. Sure wish my Z87 board had NVMe though. Would love that for OS X stuff.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:57 am 

Between the choice of being raped in the ass by forced hardware obsolescence and premium priced disposable system designs or getting used to a different operating system (updates can be set to automatically delay for days, weeks, even months), I'll take the latter any day of the week.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:10 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Between the choice of being raped in the ass by forced hardware obsolescence and premium priced disposable system designs or getting used to a different operating system (updates can be set to automatically delay for days, weeks, even months), I'll take the latter any day of the week.

You can stop updates entirely by disabling the Windows Update process and disabling it from starting up every bootup. This will let you manually decide when to update something. It's how I've had a stable gaming build for over a year now. And 1903 takes wonderfully to nVidia's new Studio Drivers (they let you have 30-bit color on GTX/RTX GPUs from Maxwell up if your display can handle it, though only over DisplayPort).

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:27 pm 
he who stacks pork

Squishy Tia wrote:
MonkeyBoy wrote:

You can stop updates entirely by disabling the Windows Update process and disabling it from starting up every bootup. This will let you manually decide when to update something. It's how I've had a stable gaming build for over a year now. And 1903 takes wonderfully to nVidia's new Studio Drivers (they let you have 30-bit color on GTX/RTX GPUs from Maxwell up if your display can handle it, though only over DisplayPort).

PM me if you are interested in an otherwise great Z97 based ASRock Fatal1ty dual SLI motherboard along with 16GB of RAM and a 3.5GHz CPU and a 1TB HD with a legit licensed install of Windoze 10. Otherwise onto eBay it will go.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:15 pm 

Squishy Tia wrote:
MonkeyBoy wrote:

PM me if you are interested in an otherwise great Z97 based ASRock Fatal1ty dual SLI motherboard along with 16GB of RAM and a 3.5GHz CPU and a 1TB HD with a legit licensed install of Windoze 10. Otherwise onto eBay it will go.

-he who stacks pork

Thanks for the offer. But I've got a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Ultra + 9900k + dual NVMe (1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus x2) + 2x Samsung 860 Pro 500 GB SSDs (for the two OSes). My current rig, once the new one is up and hackintoshed, will go Windows only for my grandpa. Hardest part is going to be finding my login info for my Malwarebytes account so I can transfer my lifetime license to the new computer. No way I'm giving up lifetime protection there. My grandpa can make do with the free Malwarebytes client since he doesn't go on lots of websites that cause problems.

You could always turn that Z97 system into a supercharged EdgeRouter. It'd be usefor for that. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:37 pm 
he who stacks pork

Squishy Tia wrote:
Squishy Tia wrote:
MonkeyBoy wrote:

-he who stacks pork

Thanks for the offer. But I've got a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Ultra + 9900k + dual NVMe (1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus x2) + 2x Samsung 860 Pro 500 GB SSDs (for the two OSes). My current rig, once the new one is up and hackintoshed, will go Windows only for my grandpa. Hardest part is going to be finding my login info for my Malwarebytes account so I can transfer my lifetime license to the new computer. No way I'm giving up lifetime protection there. My grandpa can make do with the free Malwarebytes client since he doesn't go on lots of websites that cause problems.

You could always turn that Z97 system into a supercharged EdgeRouter. It'd be usefor for that. :D

The setup is certifiably kickass for games. Thing boots up in like ten seconds with a mechanical HD. I haven’t installed anything since the “upgrade” to Windbloze 10 though. It was on Windoze 7 and then Windoze 8 before. Had dual SLI Radeon HD 6970s in there. When my sons would come visit, my oldest would use this setup, and he’d always be fragging his brother and me more than we could frag him in LAN 1st-person shootemups (Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake III Arena, Quake III Team Arena, etc.). From a hardware standpoint this thing is really kickass… but seeing as I CANNOT install macOS onto it, well, it’s sorta useless. Damn shame since way back when I built it up, the motherboard was certified by a handful of forum members on Tonymacx86 forums to work with macOS.

Not sure what I need an “EdgeRouter” for – what does it do?

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:11 pm 

Squishy Tia wrote:
Squishy Tia wrote:
MonkeyBoy wrote:

-he who stacks pork

The setup is certifiably kickass for games. Thing boots up in like ten seconds with a mechanical HD. I haven’t installed anything since the “upgrade” to Windbloze 10 though. It was on Windoze 7 and then Windoze 8 before. Had dual SLI Radeon HD 6970s in there. When my sons would come visit, my oldest would use this setup, and he’d always be fragging his brother and me more than we could frag him in LAN 1st-person shootemups (Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake III Arena, Quake III Team Arena, etc.). From a hardware standpoint this thing is really kickass… but seeing as I CANNOT install macOS onto it, well, it’s sorta useless. Damn shame since way back when I built it up, the motherboard was certified by a handful of forum members on Tonymacx86 forums to work with macOS.

Not sure what I need an “EdgeRouter” for – what does it do?

-he who stacks pork

EdgeRouters are full fledged PCs as a router. Would need a new NIC board for multiple ports, and probably too much effort for you currently. Of course, you could always just have me pick up the system (it'll need a GPU in there as well) if you want me to try to get OS X on it for you. Not like a got a fuckton of other things to do besides twiddle my thumbs in this shelter in place. Just don't ask me to pick up any food from Arbys or whatever. I ain't touching any public place in Santa Clara/Sunnyvale, at least not without a flamethrower. ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:57 pm 

I use Cthulhu to protect my PC from this bullshit.
Attachment:
CthulhuInside.jpg
CthulhuInside.jpg [ 128.17 KiB | Viewed 461 times ]

Last edited by juansolo on Fri May 29, 2020 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:59 pm 

I also don't do RGB nonsense. That's bendy red 'neon' strip from China (about £3 delivered on eBay).