XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:52 pm 

I’ve got a new roaster with a fancy touch screen computer, what I didn’t realize is that in order to update it I have to use a Windows laptop. Don’t ask me why, but I do.

The details are- 15-30 minutes to upgrade, I need a laptop running Windows 7,8 or 10, ethernet cable and a flash drive.

The instructions are once connected via Ethernet to a switch, configure the laptop to the same IP scheme as the roaster’s computer and use File Explorer. Then there’s some backing up by dragging folders.

THEN there’s a flash drive involved, so I need a laptop that has a USB port.

I’m sure there are reasons for it but the process seems crazy complicated- using both the Ethernet and USB flash drive.

As goofy as the process is I think a real basic laptop would do this. Maybe something in the $300 range?

For grins I looked at some refurb’d MacBooks and such. I’d need a dongle of course. I searched the apple store for boot camp and the store returned results of Parallels only. No more boot camp?

Any help is appreicated. I don’t want to have to borrow someone else’s system to do this each time.

EDIT- I see a Boot Camp Assistant app is included in High Sierra so I guess it hasn't gone anywhere. I have an iMac from late 2010 (or was it 11?) that I might just use for this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:41 pm 

Yeah, Boot Camp is probably the easiest way to go. You can run Windows 10 in trial mode so you don't have to spend money for it for this one time thing.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/softwar ... ndows10ISO

At least I think that's it. If you Google Windows 10 ISO download that or a similar Microsoft page should be the first result, and on a Mac they shouldn't redirect you to the media creation tool they force you to use if you're running Windows.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:08 pm 

I’ll research it I guess. Having the iMac there might be more work than just having a cheap laptop.

However, I know what will happen, each time I need to update the roaster I’ll spend a day updating the laptop. It’s hard to say how often these updates will come up, this is the second in less than a year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:07 pm 

Most cheap laptops don't include an ethernet port, hell most laptops don't include them now because everything has to be thin thin thin now and the ethernet port requires it to be a certain thickness.

Sorry I thought this was a one-time thing, if you're doing this regularly then a second system would probably make sense.

Look into used/refurbished laptops, you should be able to get something for a reasoanble price. Hell, better yet, because it's old, it'll probably be thick enough to include the dreaded ethernet port. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:22 pm 

This looks fairly interesting:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 834267798R

This would probably work fine as well:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6834268879

I really like NewEgg's search feature because you can refine the search based on a lot of detail. To find these two I searched for laptops with 8GB of RAM and Windows 10, excluded the first 2 generations of i3/i5/i7, included all A-series, looked for listings solely from NewEgg, then finally sorted by price.

With 8GB you should have a few years it before Microsoft turns it into a disk-thrashing paperweight, and the first couple generations are quite old at this point. And there's no point in getting Windows 7, it'll be EOL'd in a couple years and then you'll be on the hook for upgrading it to 10. Get 10 now. The last couple releases of 10 have been a lot more like 7, at least for non-touchscreen systems.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:46 pm 

Thanks for that MB.

I just couldn't. Got a refub'd MacBook Pro and a dongle to do everything I need connection wise.

As soon as it gets here I'll work on the bootcamp stuff.

The combo of TB and USB-C was a bit confusing to me, guess I've been out of the computer game for a long time.

Thanks for all the help! I'm hoping the Windows install won't come with bloat-ware or other mal-ware disguised as apps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:34 pm 

Ah. Some refurbished 2012 MBPs are in the $250-$300 range. They're good little tanks. But since you need an ethernet adapter I guess you got something newer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:53 am 

That would have worked for me MB, I should have considered them!

My thinking was - get an Apple refurb with warranty & such, still a 2017 model so it should have some 'legs' and if there are any issues under warranty Apple will take care of me (??).

Once I have it I'll click on that link you posted and start the process of getting W10. I guess I should boot into it on occasion and update things. Maybe monthly?

Now I'm feeling that the iMac I use every day is extra, I mean, I could connect the MBP to a 27" monitor and use that as my desktop. My daily usage doesn't tax the computer much.

Are you using Windows 10? I haven't used Windows since 2011 so any help is appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:19 pm 

I'm using 7 on desktops but weirdly I have 10 on all my laptops. Even an old Intel Core Duo with 2GB of RAM and a 1.8" 128GB SSD runs it - unless its installing updates that system works as well as a modern system. Its amazing.

Every six months or so they put out a big update for 10, every spring and fall, that subtly or not-so-subtly change the way Windows 10 looks and works. Over the past couple years they've changed it from an annoying clone of Windows 8 into a something that's a lot more like 7. I couldn't stand 10 when it first came out, now I can.

Every 2nd Tuesday of the month is "Patch Tuesday" so turning it on Wednesday and letting it patch would be a good idea. The big updates I just mentioned are on their own schedule.

If you're going to really use 10 on a constant basis then you probably need to buy a license from someplace. You could still use the media I linked to, basically all you're paying for is the serial number that's included with the package. Though I hate to use it, Home is probably going to be cheaper and work just as well for you - Pro is more traditional Windows networking but unless your roaster specifies Pro I would bet Home will work just fine. If its just using TCP/IP and a custom app to communicate it probably won't care - its just networking systems together that differs between Home and Pro. To connect your Mac to your "PC" over the network you would probably need Pro.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:57 am 

Good to know, every Tuesday huh? Jeez.

Sounds like I picked a good time to get Windows 10 then. I'll have to buy a license, which is fine. I'll get the home one. The update process can use a 7,8 or 10 machine so I'm guessing it's nothing too demanding.

I'm not planning on using it constantly, just occasionally. Still, I guess I should boot it up and update more often than I really need to use it!

That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:54 pm 

You'll want to boot it and update it on your schedule because Microsoft will install updates to 10 whether you want them to or not, and its really, really annoying when you walk away from your desk to go to the bathroom and come back to find it decided to start installing updates and no you can't use the system while its installing them. :roll:

They do pop up warnings that it's going to install and reboot but if you're not there to see them it will start that process automatically... because you obviously aren't interested in getting any work done if you decided to go get a cup of coffee or something at just the right time. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:18 pm 

I will book into Windows every free months then. When it comes time to update the Roaster I don’t want to wait a day while the thing updates! That shouldn’t be a big deal.

Hell has frozen over.

I’m installing Windows 10 Home on the new MBP now. I feel strange. I’ll feel even stranger when I break out a CC to pay for that.

ONE BIG DEAL that was gumming up everything- I turned on disk encryption and it took a while to finish. While it’s running I couldn’t get past the part where it creates a windows partition. Kept getting the message that it couldn’t and to run first aid on the disk.

After poking around on the ‘web I saw ONE comment buried away that mentioned this encryption problem. I pulled up File Vault in the Preferences and could see it was working away. Once it had finished the install completed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:46 am 

I found this article which confirmed my suspicions-

https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-do ... indows-10/

Windows is working without buying a license, and even updating. Given my intended use for it I’ll keep things running this way for as long as I can. $120 is a bit steep for something I might use 2x a year. If that changes (please god, no) I’ll pony up for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:08 pm 

OMFG.

I just got this dongle today and went to test it out -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunderbolt-US ... 2749.l2649

Sorry for the long link. It's a Thunderbolt USB C 3.1 to Ethernet and USB A adapter.

In order to test it I booted up the new MBP into Windows and found the wi-fi to turn it off. Then I connected the adapter. I opened Firefox and it wanted a page to load. So I thought I'd try Yahoo.com... got a message saying I wasn't connected to the internet. Went to settings, poked around, yada yada yada I tried again.

Sure enough, yahoo.com loads up. Immediately after that I get a pop up that I can't close saying my computer is infected with a voice over telling me as much, and that my computer will be locked or blocked or something... Not 10 seconds into the internet and I got this. Somehow I got out of it, Windows did something I think to kill it. Fans were spinning up. Jeez. I quickly installed the first ad-block I found on it.

Is that a record? Less than 10 seconds? Ugh.

As far as I can tell the adapter worked as advertised, in case anyone is interested in one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:15 pm 

Oof. Last I looked they were $89 for Home. Seems really steep for a platform that Microsoft is getting regular revenue out of (it automatically downloads software and silently installs them w/o prompting).

$110 from Amazon & NewEgg:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01019BM7O/
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6832397686

Academic customers can get Pro for around $50 to $60, so I've kind of been insulated from their retail pricing for a while.

It'll work in that mode until it doesn't. For now it works but Microsoft has been getting increasingly desperate these past few months as the Windows 10 installed base not only slowed but actually regressed into negative numbers. People have been reverting to older OSes or jumping ship rather than run Windows 10. I suspect that desperation will yield some drastic decisions about people running in free mode for more than a couple days.

You went to Yahoo.com without an adblocker?! Verizon is not being kind to Yahoo, any advertising revenue is good advertising revenue. You would not believe how many times I've heard "I just went to Yahoo" over the past couple years when people bring me infected systems.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:48 am 

Well, I did buy the license from Microsoft. Since I was out of my comfort zone I didn't shop around for another place to buy 10 Home edition.

I figure it's better to have a legit copy than not. I tend to lean 'legit' whenever possible. I must admit to getting a little pissed when I found out the Home edition didn't have a screen sharing ability built in. 10 Pro has this, and it was around $70 more than Home but the UPGRADE is $99? Nice. I put VNC server from RealVNC on it and use VNC Viewer on my iMac. Seems a bit slow but better than nothing and costs nothing for a single user.

To make using Windows easier on me I also installed Trackpad++ and a Power Plan app (which was needed). Both were free, and now the trackpad works as it should. Zoom on webpages isn't as smooth as a Mac but still better than not having it.

The dongle I bought does both- connect to ethernet and allows use of a USB thumb drive. I was happy to find out that it worked both on Mac OS and Windows. $15 for something I'll use rarely and leave at work is a solid purchase.

So far the ad blocker I installed has kept me safe from the Yahoos on Yahoo.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:21 pm 

You could have just set the power options in settings and it would sleep whenever you set. I usually put my systems on either Power Saver or High Performance - I've customized power saver to never let the system sleep and high performance to let the display sleep. Its funny how much of Windows 10 settings thunk back to regular old control panels, power options is one of them.

VNC is kind of sluggish but its certainly a decent free option. I remember using UltraVNC for a server with TightVNC as a client - I still use TightVNC on Windows today. On OS X I think I used Chicken of the VNC. Remote Desktop is one nice thing about Pro but just for that it's kind of crazy to spend double the price.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:35 am 

Yes, control panel wilderness... the back button is handy though. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks again for the help! I'll be sure to boot 10 up every now-and-again to keep it up to date.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:11 am 

I really hated 10 when it came out but the latest couple versions have really grown on me. It's like they're backpedaling from Windows 8 as fast as they can.