XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:22 pm 
he who stacks pork

So. Hackintosh. Works great on a “normal” monitor (have been using a 22" Apple Cinema Display with DVI adaptor for a while now without any problems), in both Windoze 8.1 and El Capitan, the graphics card is a Radeon HD 7970. Got a deal on an LG 2560x1080 Ultrawide HDMI display. It boots/works flawlessly in El Capitan and supports the resolution natively, but holding down F12 for boot menu in attempt to boot via the Windoze partition, it’s as if the computer’s HD isn’t even working. Disconnect LG display, reboot holding down F12, I am able to see the boot selection screen and boot back into Windoze 8.1.

Here’s the interesting part: I tried the Ultrawide monitor before installing from the LG-provided driver installation CDROM, and after installing from the CDROM, and I still am seeing the same issue. The same monitor works perfectly on one of the non-Hackintosh PCs I built (also running Windoze 8.1, I installed LG INF installer before hooking up Ultrawide monitor), no issues at all.

Any Hackintosh experts here with a solution? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:00 am 

I would guess that the LG display doesn't support the low resolution used by the boot selection screen. The computer is outputting to the screen, the LG is just refusing to show it because its a resolution it doesn't support.

You should be able to hot-swap monitors assuming they're both connected over DVI. Hell, you should be able to have both connected at the same time, assuming you have two DVI or one DVI and one HDMI port. Just plug the LG in after Windows is loaded.

The ultra-widescreen displays seem really gimmicky to me (much like the curved displays) and a lack of adequate resolution support would totally not surprise me. When you're moving so few units, corners get cut to maximize profits.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:50 pm 
he who stacks pork

I’m pretty sure it’s failing to get to the F12 BIOS screen… I know it’s two down arrows and then ENTER to boot from the Windoze partition, but it’s simply not responding.

That would be a pain in the ass if I have to have two monitors hooked up to the thing. I might try that if I should have nothing better to do; working 10.5 hour days split between two jobs really sucks ass and demotivates from from all this computer silliness.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:43 am 

What's the model# of the LG UW display? The problem is most likely that the BIOS won't react with the monitor in its core (menu/BIOS) modes because 21:9 doesn't fall into any of the standard VESA timings (it's an aspect ratio the BIOS doesn't know how to deal with). But I'd need info on the display to help further.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:00 am 

You could go into the BIOS (nee UEFI) and change the Windows partition to be the default selection, so it boots that by default. Just to see if it works.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:59 pm 
he who stacks pork

The LG Ultrawide monitor is model# 29UM59A.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:04 am 

I'm going over the manual now trying to figure this out. What motherboard, firmware, and connection method are you using for the display? All of those are going to have an impact on how the GPU handles the monitor at bootup.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 pm 
he who stacks pork

Ahh yes… the details… I need to look into it and get back to you. Connection method is the HDMI out of the back of the Radeon 7970 (HDMI port straight to HDMI input on back of monitor).

Thanks

-he who stacks pork