XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:57 am 
he who stacks pork

I have many spare Powermacs lying around– G3s, G4s, etc., so I decided to try my hand at stuffing PC guts into one of the cases. I’d originally planned on using an AGP G4, but then realised the process would be much easier with a G3 Yosemite case. I just happened to have one, but it is not just any G3 Yosemite case… Apple DVI unit (prerelease model I was given while working for Apple a number of years ago), so I was torn as to whether or not to cannibalize it. Too late!

Power tools to the rescue:

Lining things up before committing:

Testing fitment with case closed:

Testing cooling under full GPU load:

Starting to come together:

MY EYES!!! :o

Wiring up the front panel:

Rear of computer:

Windoze’ perpetual hard drive activity monitored via red LED: :roll:

This was a fitment exercise. Notice how I am unable to get the case to close all the way, initially it was one of the SDRAM modules interfering with the optical drive, but now with the one module removed it seems as though the taller-than-necessary electrolytic capacitors aren’t clearing the optical drive. The overall evil plan is to pop my hackintosh guts into it (GA-Z87MX-D3H, Core i5, Radeon HD 5870, RAM, Wifi card, etc.), and there shouldn’t be—according to my estimates—any clearance issues with the case closing all the way.

Beer made me do it. :badteeth:

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:18 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Whew, great work no matter how you look at it! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:55 pm 

Fabulous!

SC

Desktop: Intel mini: 2.33 GHz i5 (G4/C2D minis are out with bad HDDs) OS X 10.10
qBOX-SF with four 2 TB
Peecee - Core i7 4771 W7 Pro 64
Server - Xeon 1231 FreeNAS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:29 pm 

PS/2 ports? Funky extra-tall chipset heatsink? Is this the guts of that AMD PC I sold you way back when?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:24 pm 
Vice Dictator

Very nice. I still have my B/W G3 case dismantled in a box in the garage with a intel badaxe board waiting to be installed. Just Never got around to putting it in. I'll have to check it all out this weekend and give it another go. Thank you for the inspiration Leo; long live the Yosemite cases! :g3:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:25 pm 
he who stacks pork

MonkeyBoy wrote:
PS/2 ports? Funky extra-tall chipset heatsink? Is this the guts of that AMD PC I sold you way back when?

Why, yes, it is. Still hasn’t quite died yet. I should take a picture of the bulging capacitors. Computer cold starts and successfully boots up from two to four attempts, and reboots are hit-and-miss, which I can only imagine is related to said bulging capacitors. Amazingly this setup is still hangin’ in there… barely. I nuke-and-repaved it to Windoze 7 Pro though, and yes it is quite sluggish but not the worst Windoze experience I’ve encountered.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:29 pm 
he who stacks pork

SandyG3 wrote:
Very nice. I still have my B/W G3 case dismantled in a box in the garage with a intel badaxe board waiting to be installed. Just Never got around to putting it in. I'll have to check it all out this weekend and give it another go. Thank you for the inspiration Leo; long live the Yosemite cases! :g3:

Make sure you measure and re-measure… and re-re-measure first. Expect lots of Dremel tool action removing all but one of the stock motherboard mounts. The form factor of the motherboard you will be using (smaller is better, as in mATX or microATX) will determine it’s alignment. The convenient thing about the Blue and White case is that the rear case panel where the ports are is removable with a philips screwdriver. I’d recommend checking out the case mods forum section at the Tonymacx86 website, as others have already done the dirty work of measuring (I ought have paid a bit more attention to their advice before proceeding).

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:22 am 

very cool!! :g3: i like the LEDs on the front panel. cool idea :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:59 pm 

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
Why, yes, it is. Still hasn’t quite died yet. I should take a picture of the bulging capacitors. Computer cold starts and successfully boots up from two to four attempts, and reboots are hit-and-miss, which I can only imagine is related to said bulging capacitors. Amazingly this setup is still hangin’ in there… barely. I nuke-and-repaved it to Windoze 7 Pro though, and yes it is quite sluggish but not the worst Windoze experience I’ve encountered.
Windows 7 seems only to be really happy with 2GB of RAM and up, but it's way happier with 1GB or 2GB than XP. I even remembered the name of that board today... K8N-E Deluxe. It's just about the only Socket 754 board with PCIe support.

Poor little capacitors, you weren't designed to deal with the wild swings of power provided by modern power company monopolies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:01 pm 

Quote:
Poor little capacitors, you weren't designed to deal with the wild swings of power provided by modern power company monopolies.

That's what good line conditioners are for. ^_^

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:41 pm 

Excellent, I have one just sitting around with a 600 MHz G4 upgrade and original radeon.