XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:06 am 

I have been thinking of ways to lower the internal temperature of my G4 Quicksilver. I've cleaned the inside thoroughly – including the fan blades – but don't wish to put in a stronger, single-speed fan, because of the additional noise.

Only one expansion bay is filled, and I was wondering if removing the other three, expansion bay covers would allow air to circulate more readily, versus leaving the box as is?

Thanks for your time.

appler505 :)

Last edited by appler505 on Fri May 10, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:36 am 

The only way I found to effectively cool a QS was to remove the plastic on the side. Underneath the left side plastic (if you count the door as the right side) the metal has a ton of vent holes right behind the 120mm fan, almost like they were going to have a nice large vent on that side then chickened out and covered it with plastic.

Getting that plastic off means stripping the plastic off the front, top, back, and sides, plus the handles, but some of it can be reinstalled after (definitely the lower handles, I was so frustrated by that point I left mine bare metal except for the door and lower handle "feet").

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:37 am 
Benevolent Dictator

That could interfere with normal cooling flow, some have used slot coolers to help, but they did nothing for mine, but mine were cheap ones...

http://bestbyte.net/merchant/merchant.m ... re_Code=BB

http://www.xoxide.com/slotcooler2.html

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:14 pm 

Yeah, the problem with removing slots is the 120mm fan directly next to the slots is an exhaust fan. So now you'll have air flowing in from the slots and immediately exhausted out next to the slots (exhaust from the 120mm fan, by default, has to take a 90 degree turn and exit out the little grill next to the slots). The only other airflow would be the PSU exhaust fan and the CPU input fan, which being higher up wouldn't be affected as much but there could be some stagnating air.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:28 pm 

Thanks, BDAqua, and MonkeyBoy, for the solid info; it seems that cooling a heat-generating, closed box is not such an easy task for computer manufacturers!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:53 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Only if they choose form over function really. :(

Be glad it's not an MDD G4, where somebody at Apple thought heat sank, & intake at the top, & exhaust at the bottom would be a good idea on a new hotter running model. :nothappy:

If you leave the side door open at least a few degrees, temps will drop. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:12 pm 

Well, the El Capitan case used to have that 120mm fan as an input fan, which sucked in air from some ductwork in the left-side plastic that pulled air from the bottom of the case.

I honestly don't know why they didn't just keep that ductwork in place and turn it from an intake into an exhaust.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:26 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Indeed, but it seems the MDDs also had the heat producing components up top... what could they have been thinking exhausting at the bottom???

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:27 am 
Master

I love the expandability and accessibility of the G4 towers, but remain unconvinced Apple thought through certain aspects of the design quite as carefully as perhaps they should have.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:54 am 

I would remove the side plate and drill some holes in it, then replace it. so it looks ugly, but functional, perhaps

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:15 am 

Anonymous wrote:
I love the expandability and accessibility of the G4 towers, but remain unconvinced Apple thought through certain aspects of the design quite as carefully as perhaps they should have.
I like to think that the original B&W G3 design was functional and working and subsequent engineers who "improved" the design turned it into a cooling nightmare.

It may be a fantasy but it's my fantasy, dagnabbit.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:11 pm 

I think BD once encouraged me to keep my door open and put a big fan in the crack to blow it cool.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:37 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Good memory! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:28 pm 

I followed-up on MonkeyBoy's idea, and took the side-panel off and found those holes he mentioned....it was like finding buried treasure! Thanks for the tip, MonkeyBoy, and also for pointing out that my original idea to remove the expansion bay covers would not allow fresh air to circulate inside the box.

I've taken a good look at what people have posted elsewhere on how to reduce noise/heat in a Quicksilver, and here are some interesting ideas:

1) One person advocated covering those hidden, vent holes, claiming that warm air would be forced to exclusively exit the rear grill, with the result being improved air flow out of the machine.

2) Another concept was to reverse the 120mm fan, so that air blows into the machine. Now, maybe with that idea, it might be advantageous to remove the expansion bay covers, but I'm not sure?

3) Also, I've noticed the CPU fan (the one with the black, rubber boot) has a rectangular hole that seems to blow CPU-exhaust on the power supply. It would be easy enough to tape-over the hole, if the opening is, in fact, returning heat to the interior of the machine?

4) Thanks for the tip on 'slot coolers,' BDAqua. I found this Thermal Control Exhaust Blower which claims an airflow rate of 42 CFM, and I'm wondering if it would make a difference?: http://www.cyberguys.com/product-detail ... uctid=2230

If any of these ideas have merit, or if there are other tips-and-tricks for keeping a Quicksilver cool, I would appreciate the guidance!

Last edited by appler505 on Fri May 10, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:11 pm 

I don't remember the original orientation of the 60mm CPU fan. I flipped it around so many times I completely forgot which way it originally went.

I did take a couple pieces of duct tape and seal off that hole though. I felt it helped in terms of pulling in outside air if the CPU fan is an intake, though its just a gut feeling and I know most of the air would still be pulled from the areas to the left & right of that weird half-duct.

In terms of reversing fans, keep in mind that you need to achieve balance. In an ideal world you want air inside the case to be at a slight vacuum (AKA negative pressure), so the air will flow from intake to exhaust as quickly as possible and not just flutter around endlessly. So if you turn an intake fan into an exhaust fan, you need to increase the volume of an intake fan someplace else.

That being said, I don't think removing that plastic will hurt by any stretch of the imagination. It will increase negative pressure but keep in mind the air WAS escaping, it was being pushed out around the sides of that plastic panel. That restriction will be removed.

Last edited by MonkeyBoy on Fri May 10, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:15 pm 

Thanks, MonkeyBoy! I ran the 'toiletpaper test' to see which way the fans are oriented, and it looks like both the CPU fan, and the 120mm fan, are both taking air out of the machine.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:27 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Reverse the CPU fan to blow across the CPU... crazy Apple! :nothappy:

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:17 am 

Thanks, BDAqua.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:07 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Good memory! :)

Thanks, I am trying to find the photo.

I tried to upload it (original picture) but I got some spam error or warez error?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:09 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

How big is the pic, what format?