XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Java runtime for CS 5
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:06 pm 

This should be my last question tonight.
I turned on the iMac again after shutting down for a thunder storm.
This popped up - it had on installing El Cap but at that point I clicked more info and the whole thing disappeared.
I forgot about it until I started up again this evening.

I know Java is not a great thing to have. This certainly warns me against it:
http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/17/how-to-i ... l-capitan/

I know that my Photoshop is part of the CS5 suite.
I don't know if Photoshop will run and if I should try to open it - not quite sure what a servicemanager is.

What to do?

Attachment:
java for CS5.jpg
java for CS5.jpg [ 26.14 KiB | Viewed 2085 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:26 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

As I understand it Java running in a Web browser is the only problem.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:54 pm 
Master

Like BD said, Java is perfectly fine running local programs installed on your hard drive. After you install Java delete the Java stuff from /Library/Internet Plug-Ins and you should be fine.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:37 pm 

Thanks, I've done the download and will do the install.
Then be sure to delete it for internet plug-ins.
Thanks for that info on how to make that easy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:06 pm 

If you need the Apple version of Java, which is preferred to Oracle's version if all you want to do is run CS5, its here:
https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_US

If you install Oracle's Java then you're kind of locked into keeping it current, which is a continuous process.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:33 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
If you need the Apple version of Java, which is preferred to Oracle's version if all you want to do is run CS5, its here:

Thanks MB.
I found that link on my own - but just to be sure I got the right thing, I downloaded it again from your link and replaced the one I downloaded with that (though I'm certain it was the same thing)

I'm going to install it and then try to either restart or shut down and hope I get that request about keychain Facetime confidential info identityservicesd again so I can check aways allow.

Given the issue (blank screen) I had when I hit restart last time, I'm more inclined to go the complete shut down route until I get this thing allowed, though I don't really think (but maybe) that that is why the screen went blank and never completed the progress bar.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:41 pm 

I would try a shutdown too. The blank screen kind of worries me but to be honest the gold standard for boot issues is to hit command v and see what's hiding behind all those pretty screens... but since your system isn't hanging every time that just means a lot of text and probably no payoff for paying attention.

A student brought me in her laptop from home today because it was booting part way and then shutting down. Every time. Command V showed me she HD had enabled full disk encryption... and was failing. Badly enough that it couldn't mount Macintosh HD which caused it to automatically shut down. I can put a new HD in there for her but full disk encryption could make recovering her data complicated... hopefully her promise that everything's backed up onto multiple HDs is real, then I can just format & install on the new HD and she can scamper off like nothing happened.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:52 am 

MB - I'm doing another back up of the iMac HD before I do a power down, power up again.
I did a full clone/back up a few days ago on 2 HDs but just to be sure, I'll do 2 more. Since the update I've tried to do these very often, just to be sure things are OK. I did keep 2 backups of snow just in case as well. I don't want to be the person you describe above.

Things have been OK since the blank screen at restart, total shut down and power up again of the description previous on another thread.

For anyone reading the above and not knowing what I'm talking about, here's a recap of the blank screen scenario:

I decided to restart the iMac because a few folders wouldn’t allow me to rename them and I read that a restart was the first step to a solution.

Restart brought up the progress bar under the apple logo which stopped half way and came to blank screen with a cursor arrow in the left corner - nothing else happened and nothing would work except I could move the cursor with the mouse.

Tried esc - nothing.
Tried command option esc - nothing.

Shut down via power button - it took 8 sec but shut down.

I let it sit while I panicked.
Then, probably 2 minutes later, I turned it on with power button.

Progress bar got as far as about ⅔ the way and stopped, screen went to blank, then :) built in screen as usual.

And it's been fine ever since.
source:
https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12 ... e53536b244

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:41 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Things have been OK since the blank screen at restart, total shut down and power up again of the description previous on another thread.

I find much the same thing happens to me when updating to later OS X versions.

And as far as the progress bar, I think somewhere during the 1st boot Apple pulls a number out of somewhere & uses that to play a video of a progress bar that has nothing to do with actual progression & the Mac may startup before the progress video finishes, or doesn't & looks like the bar is stuck on 100% for awhile... yet in other circumstances actually seems to be responding to progress or lack thereof!?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:37 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:

I find much the same thing happens to me when updating to later OS X versions...

The blank screen with just the cursor arrow in the corner??? You've got it in the past too?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:25 pm 

The guy who visited you probably did this, but a PRAM zap and SMC reset are usually a good idea after upgrading the OS. command option p and r until it bongs for PRAM zap, on an iMac just shut down and unplug it for at least 15-20 seconds then plug it back in. Portables have a key combination to hit... shift control option power all at once. The portable has to be powered off first.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:41 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
You've got it in the past too?

Yes, not consistently though. It may very well be what MB mentions about PRAM etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:29 pm 

Here's Apples official procedure for SMC resets:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

I generally like hitting the power button when the system has sat for a few seconds unplugged too, just to give it a good old fashioned discharge.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:00 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Here's Apples official procedure for SMC resets:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

I generally like hitting the power button when the system has sat for a few seconds unplugged too, just to give it a good old fashioned discharge.

Current procedure for iMacs:

-Shut down your Mac.
-Unplug the power cord.
-Wait 15 seconds.
-Plug the power cord back in.
-Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Old procedure back in '10, when i got this Late '09:

-shutdown
-unplug
-Press/hold power button for 15 seconds
-Plug back in
-Wait 5 seconds

Always wondered if the timing for either procedure was all that critical. Remember someone at ASC saying that it was. Also since the old method was current around the time of my Late '09 iMac, wonder which one I should use? Would it go by machine EMC# or by OS currently installed (thinking that the OS would probably not be a consideration.) Interesting that you recommend a combination of both (sort of.) I will sometimes do both, one after the other, and since I don't know any better, I do pay attention to the timing--as much as possible. Problem has always been that there's no way to know if the reset was successful or not, other than if the symptoms, whatever they may be, disappear.

Another thing: does a PRAM Reset drain the CMOS battery?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:38 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Current procedure for iMacs:

-Shut down your Mac.
-Unplug the power cord.
-Wait 15 seconds.
-Plug the power cord back in.
-Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac

Has always worked on my Mid 2007 & Mid 2011 iMacs to reset the SMC, (when the FW or USB bus is tripped off... at least that those busses have power restored). The 15 & 5 seconds seem to be minimums... or close to it.

That method also works on my 1.42 GHz eMac to reset the buses' power, but occasionally holding the power button in while not connected to power is required to get it to respond to the power button. (Likely the PRAM Battery is dead in the eMac).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:17 pm 

PRAM reset won't drain the battery, maximum drain on that occurs when the system is unplugged. I think its down to a trickle when its plugged in but the design may have changed since the last time I looked into it.

Yeah they're minimums. I just SMC reset a 2009 iMac and the system wouldn't respond to the power button for 5 seconds. It takes a little while for the SMC to boot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:28 am 

Thanks both for the clarification on the timing. Wonder why they did away with press/hold power button for 15 seconds.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:40 pm 

Well on one hand you could say that Apple only provides instructions for systems they support. Once they put a system on the obsolete list they no longer have to provide support information on it.

On the other hand there's also a bit of mojo in coming up with these lists. Many times the engineers will provide support with minimal instructions, then support fleshes out those instructions while working with customers, then (usually a new batch of) engineers come along and cluck like mother hens and the instructions will get updated without the information they deem unnecessary.

I think its more of the former than the latter, since there's limited information on PowerPC (much less 68K) systems in Apple's technical docs these days, which would seem to indicate they're purging old information.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:05 am 

Not sure I took all of that in, but want to point out that, if I remember correctly, the SMC reset procedure changed to its current no press/hold power button well before my Late '09 became obsolete or even "vintage." Happened maybe after only two years, not much more.

But more important, you said earlier that you like to give it a power button press for an "old fashioned discharge." Always thought that some kind of discharge was involved, but what exactly is getting discharged, and how would that produce a more effective reset, if that's the point of doing that? That was what was really behind my earlier question asking why Apple dropped that from the reset sequence, if it's something that adds to its effectiveness.

Plus always wondered if that power button press/hold might shorten the PRAM battery life. If that drains the battery more than simply briefly being off wall power alone--which would be negligible, of course. Or is it maybe just some of the caps, nothing to do with the PRAM battery? This is a now 7 year old iMac, with an almost completely inaccessible PRAM battery--at iFixit, completely insane 35 steps just to get near it, so you see where I'm coming from. (Best of 3 comments at iFixit: OK, "so not going to do that ever.")

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:18 pm 

By attempting to power it on many systems will start to turn on - fans spin, optical drives whir, etc. - from the energy stored in capacitors. Those caps are what you're discharging. If you let it sit long enough they will discharge all on their own.

The PRAM/NVRAM battery will not be drained any more than when the power is disconnected.

As for the iMac, its pretty crazy that Apple designs iMacs with their accessible parts facing backwards (I'm not aware of any recent models that face forward) but I guess its done because the sole ventilation port is on the back, and designing/routing heat pipes is easier with a less convoluted path. That means most things, from DIMM slots to PRAM batteries, require disassembly. But look at it this way - at least its not glued together.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:07 am 

Quote:
That means most things, from DIMM slots to PRAM batteries, require disassembly. But look at it this way - at least its not glued together.

The DIMM slots are completely accessible on this model from a small door underneath--next to which, I would think it would have been easy enough to place the PRAM battery. I think Apple's reasoning is more that they don't expect one of these iMacs to outlast its PRAM battery, or they could care less about keeping one of these going. And likely when an iMac refuses to boot or has related symptoms, when most people hear the cost involved for all that labor (not the part, since it's only a $5 CR2032 button battery), Apple thinks they will just give up and buy a new one. And I would wager that only a very small percentage of users even know that the new ones are glued together, much less, care.

Not completely analogous, since an oil filter needs to be changed far more often, but like burying it deep inside the engine, requiring a full engine teardown to change it. :nothappy: :nothappy:

And because of its age Apple won't work on one of these, and the best independent repair shop in NY has now closed, I have no idea who I can trust to work on it. When Apple would have worked on it, it would have been a flat rate for labor, something like $75, but they would only have started that job if they were certain that the PRAM battery was dead or dying. There was no way that they would have just taken my word that there were PRAM battery related problems. They would have seen that it booted fine, I would have lugged it in for nothing, so I gave up on that one.

I looked at those instructions, and while changing the drive is something I'd attempt with at least some measure of confidence, I'm pretty certain I'm not going to start down this road.

Not needed yet, but will have to call around to get some beginning idea of the cost.

Last edited by WZZZ on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:39 pm 

Sorry, I was thinking of the newer models on the DIMM slots, obviously the older ones have accessible slots. What they have in common is that everything is mounted backwards from how it should be for easy of maintenance.

I highly doubt anyone buying the glued-together models care about long-term maintenance. When it acts up they just throw it into the garbage and buy a new one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:28 pm 

Yeah, like a disposable glued together iMac Pro, at $5,000--and that's only the base price. Or just a plain vanilla glued together iMac at $1200-$3,000. When it's out of warranty or AppleCare, becomes "vintage, or obsolete" throw it away like a Bic razor and get another one. After five years, when you see those oh so shiny nano-thin newer models, you'll have no hesitation trashing your old horribly thick undesirable machine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:54 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
at iFixit, completely insane 35 steps just to get near it, so you see where I'm coming from. (Best of 3 comments at iFixit: OK, "so not going to do that ever.")

The number of steps to replace the PRAM battery in that model are indeed insane. The instructions border on TLDR. If I did that myself I'd be tempted to solder a couple of wires to that battery point, drill a hole in the back to pass the wires through and hang the battery out there, just to save all that trouble if there was a next time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:20 pm 

Hmmm, gives me an idea. If i could figure out exactly where the PRAM battery is respective to the case, could get to it without all the silly 35 steps: drill an access hole just adjacent and save all the bother. 8-)