XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:48 pm 

All for optical media, that's the sub plan I have with Netflix, if you're in the biz like I am
the supplemental features on some discs are worth the snail mail wait providing you don't
get one of the especiale rental only disc ( movie only ).

Leo- I don't get why you're driving your self nuts trying to play a 4k BD on your computers ?
Like Squishy Tia said get a stand alone player, what's the issue with a stand alone player ??
Just wondering...

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:57 pm 

No, you can't download media that you legally own, because you don't own a license to transfer the media, since when you're downloading you're also uploading and yeah.

Of course unless you download/seed a half dozen or more titles at the same time you're generally only going to get a nastygram from your ISP and if you keep it up get your internet connection speed cut and if you still keep it up they'll terminate your service. Its the six strikes policy or whatever stupid thing the MPAA/RIAA ramrodded through US ISPs.

Of course they can't tell what you're doing if you transfer your data over a VPN connection. Just be sure to tie your client to the VPN interface and not any available interface because your ISP will periodically terminate your connection to try and make your client leak data before the VPN tunnel comes back up so they can then apply the six strikes policy to that traffic. Welcome to the new world order of our ISPs not having to obey net neutrality. Just don't remind them that it means they're liable for what customers do with their internet connection.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:45 pm 
he who stacks pork

Well I guess they’re just going to have to impound me in federal pound me in the ass prison :lol: since I may or may not have “backed up” my Blue-Rays with the help of downloading from the interballs.

Meanwhile, I was able to relive the fun superspy Ethan Hunt experience one movie at a time, in resolutions much higher than 360p on my 2012 Mac Pro.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:27 pm 

Double VPN them.

If you don't mind spending a little extra dough on privacy - use dual VPN.
First VPN: OpenVpn connection (connected first)
Second VPN: ssh socks proxy VPN

This the type of connection that can slip though China's firewalls. :)

Spoof your Mac's Mac Address while you are at it in terminal (before connecting VPN's).

example:
sudo ifconfig en0 ether e7:03:e2:c1:b4:e8

to check:
ifconfig en0 | grep ether

Not recommended for internet connections slower than 75mb/s.
Passing through 2 stacked VPN's will really slow down an internet connection.

Happy Downloading!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:32 pm 
he who stacks pork

kjk555 wrote:
Double VPN them.

If you don't mind spending a little extra dough on privacy - use dual VPN.
First VPN: OpenVpn connection (connected first)
Second VPN: ssh socks proxy VPN

This the type of connection that can slip though China's firewalls. :)

Spoof your Mac's Mac Address while you are at it in terminal (before connecting VPN's).

example:
sudo ifconfig en0 ether e7:03:e2:c1:b4:e8

to check:
ifconfig en0 | grep ether

Not recommended for internet connections slower than 75mb/s.
Passing through 2 stacked VPN's will really slow down an internet connection.

Happy Downloading!

OK, I have zero experience here. Is this something permanent that will stick and possibly render my internet access useless? Where do I download/buy dual VPN?

Thanks

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:13 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Just make a new location, you can then easily switch back to the configuration you have now by changing the Location,,,

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:22 pm 

VPN providers:

https://thesafety.us/buy-vpn

https://proprivacy.com/vpn/comparison/most-secure-vpn

https://vpnstart.com/best-vpn-service-providers/

Openvpn and socks proxy are safe to use, won't foul up your network
and are not permanent.

Only use openvpn tcp or udp connections, no PPTP or L2TP.

SSH socks5 proxy can be used as well. The best ones require a host key
to be added to your user hosts file. Terminal is generally required to activate
the proxy unless you use some ssh management app.

pros: usually faster than openvpn. In conjunction with openvpn, can be
run as a tunnel (dual vpn) in tandem with an openvpn connection. Improves
privacy and security when run in tandem with openvpn.

cons: by itself, not as secure as openvpn. harder to set up.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:16 pm 
he who stacks pork

Thanks guys. When I find time to tinker around with this shit, I will certainly tinker around with this shit.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:16 pm 

If you want brain dead simple setup, NordVPN is an option.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:25 pm 
he who stacks pork

MonkeyBoy wrote:
If you want brain dead simple setup, NordVPN is an option.

Is it really Scandinavian, or just a marketing naming thing? I’m all for Volvos, aged fish, and probiotics, but if this spills over to computing then I might be easily sold.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:47 pm 

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
Is it really Scandinavian, or just a marketing naming thing? I’m all for aged fish,

Surströmming is, as far as I'm concerned, a huge prank on the rest of the world. There is no way anyone living, with tastebuds or a sense of smell would consume that willingly or for pleasure.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:47 pm 

I'm pretty sure it's just a marketing ploy, they're based out of Panama to avoid having to retain customer data on their activities. Of course if you break criminal law all bets are off, but copyright is a civil matter. If you buy enough months in advance and wait for a promotion you can get the cost down to around $2/month.

The biggest PITA are all the organized crime groups from eastern europe who use the service to hide their activities, you're subjected to captcha like mad. Not sure if there's really any way around that since every VPN service gets subjected to criminals trying to scam. It's somewhat easy to discern their general location from ll the language settings you inherit from a cleared browser. I avoid this by just using VPN on one system.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:01 pm 
he who stacks pork

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's just a marketing ploy, they're based out of Panama to avoid having to retain customer data on their activities. Of course if you break criminal law all bets are off, but copyright is a civil matter. If you buy enough months in advance and wait for a promotion you can get the cost down to around $2/month.

The biggest PITA are all the organized crime groups from eastern europe who use the service to hide their activities, you're subjected to captcha like mad. Not sure if there's really any way around that since every VPN service gets subjected to criminals trying to scam. It's somewhat easy to discern their general location from ll the language settings you inherit from a cleared browser. I avoid this by just using VPN on one system.

DAMMIT! Earworms! I cannot ever properly respect the Panamanians ever since having heard the tune “Panama” from the Edward Van Halen group.

-he who stacks pork