XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Optical drive going?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:33 pm 

Late 2008 MacBook.

Been watching DVDs on it fine for the past year I have owned it. Got a movie box set and when I insert the DVD it spends 3-4 minutes trying to read it, then tells me the DVD is blank and what should it do with it. Went to second and third movie in box set, same thing. Got a different DVD from our limited collection and it reads it. Audio CD fine. Just this box set that seems to be uniformly causing problems. I put one of the DVDs in my G4 Quicksilver and it reads the DVD fine too. So is this something to do with these DVDs? If it is, is this one of those protection things (they also play find in our TV but I often watch videos on the computer), or is it just something such as a poor pressing of the DVDs in this set? All 5 of them???

Time to consider replacement drive? If so, recommendations? I am more inclined to get a solid, tray loading drive rather than one of these slim ones (my computer is used in clamshell mode as a desktop so don't need portable). Externally powered preferred. Can't find many with those specs -- tons of slim ones, most with flimsy trays or slot loading. OWC has two that meets specs. The $44 one is labeled "new item" (presumably new to inventory) but they only have 2 left as "open box", which suggests to me returns (on a new item to their inventory -- how good or bad is this)? They also have a Mercury external with a LG inside for $70 -- you're paying $50 for the enclosure. Amazon has a $54 LG brand external. The first comments on it date from 2013 which suggest to me it's a pretty old model.

I was kind of hoping not have have to spend more than $50 on this. Would really prefer a solid external though to last a while.

Post subject: Re: Optical drive going?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:47 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

How hot is the MacBook running?

I'd go for a tray model also, whew, full sized ones have dried up! :(

Maybe a disposable one with only one of your needs?

Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/External-White-USB-Slim-8x-DVDRW-DL-DVD-CD-RW-Burner-Writer-Drive-All-PC-Mac-M-/322198343366

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:36 pm 

Thanks but that drive is USB powered. I do have a powered hub available but I prefer to not turn on the power so I would like a drive with independent power.

This one: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3USD24/ is independently powered, and full-sized, but $70. :| There's another one on OWC that's cheaper, plastic, but as I said earlier, the information leave me wondering why they seem to be doing clearance on them if they are a new item.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:46 am 

Maybe something that fits the bill at newegg?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:14 pm 

I looked on Newegg and Amazon too. The trend really seems to be moving towards mini drives powered by USB. You can still get full-size drives, but not in enclosures.

Any comments on this really being a drive issue? It was strange all 5 DVDs in this box set were rejected by the 2008 optical drive but not the one in my G4, that drive probably dating from 2006 or earlier.