XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:13 pm 

Folks:

The better half has been having "issues" with printing documents on her Epson NX400 multi purpose print/scan/fax? machine for awhile. The main problem is the issue of line spacing on docs, so that normal 2x or 1.5x line spacing is coming out with 4x spacing . . . OR another document is printed on top of the one she is trying to print, etc.

I've loosely suggested that she check for driver updates, but, she says it is updated . . . I think she is still running 10.6.8 on a MacBook circa '08 . . . C2D processor. Just a day or so ago I had to scan some docs to upload and they "exported" to PDF just fine, crisp text, orderly layout.

Is there some flash drive unit in the printer that might get the "cache" over-filled, so that printing function would get messed up? Or, nothing to do, once they mess up, it's toast??? I know she has "cleaned the jets" and all of that stuff from the computer . . . doesn't seem to do anything. Other problem, it seems to report "low ink" levels, even though she just put new cartridges in . . . . Sound familiar??? Anything to do from command line?? Or, something to do like "hold the power button" and the "print now" button to "clear the cache"???? :bonk:

e...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:26 pm 

That certainly sounds like a driver problem on her system. Is it all documents or just some documents? Try taking a document that prints fine on your system over to hers and see if it behaves different. It may be certain docs or even certain applications are interacting with the driver in a different way. The printer settings may even have been changed on hers to cause this issue, which is why bringing a file from system (prints right) to another (prints wrong) will help figure out what's going on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:44 pm 

@MB:

Thanks for the reply . . . it's a little bit "challenging" for me to print from my machine, because it's a "surface" and it's buried in "worknotes" . . . . : - 0 But, that is part of the story, we brought her computer into my "zone" and she was able to print her doc from it without a problem . . . so she was "concluding" that that was "proof" that it was a "printer problem" for her printer . . . .

But, I'll have to go into it on the details with her, and then try to post back on it. But, for the most part she is printing word docs from Pages for a book she is writing for a class. So, I think it is sections from within the same doc, that print out in these weird ways . . . and, perhaps it is intermittent enough that she hasn't made the decision to buy a new one . . . ??? But, she shares her pain with me on it, in case I could just hit it with a hammer, like a man, etc.

If it IS a driver issue, how could that be investigated or analyzed to show "evidence"???

[Edit1: Yep, it's as described, mostly same doc from Pages printing sections of it . . . but "lately it has been getting worse" . . . ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:25 pm 

Its probably a setting Pages-related in the print driver or in the individual document. When you go to print you can change various settings and if you save them then they'll stick for the next time you print.

Similarly you can do things on a document level that get saved in the document, or sometimes even a particular section of the document, that will cause it (or a section of it) to print the way you specified.

If a new document doesn't exhibit the problem but an existing document does, then the problem is in that particular document and changing the printer may not fix the issue.

If the new document has the same problem then the problem could be in the printer defaults. There is a way to reset them from saved settings to default settings in the print dialog.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:38 pm 

@MB:

Thanks, I'll look into those suggestions . . . probably tomorrow. But, I don't think she messes with the settings too much . . . but, that would be an easy fix . . . .

e...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:59 pm 
Master

Can you give us more details of what the printout look like? What precisely do you mean by "another document is printed on top of the one she is trying to print?" Do you ever see pages where the print end abruptly in the middle of one page and start again in the middle of the next?

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:41 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Did I miss what application she's printing from?

What is the Printer in your "zone"?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:34 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Did I miss what application she's printing from?
What is the Printer in your "zone"?

Pages for 10.6.8ish. Ep R320

Anonymous wrote:
Can you give us more details of what the printout look like? What precisely do you mean by "another document is printed on top of the one she is trying to print?" Do you ever see pages where the print end abruptly in the middle of one page and start again in the middle of the next?
- Anonymous

She says. no, the pages don't start 'in the middle' . . . but she did say some of them start a third or larger space from the top . . . might be similar.
Also, new "data" . . . she is saying that the "low ink report" phenom happens when she opens the laptop, the Print Utility app launches itself and reports "low ink levels," even though printer is not connected via USB . . . which would point to something "software" side???

e..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:00 pm 

If its connecting to the printer over the network, the utility would be able to find out what the ink levels are even if you don't have it plugged in.

However if she puts the laptop to sleep with it plugged in and then wakes it up with it unplugged, well, that's pretty much the norm. When the computer went to sleep the hardware was present so when it wakes up the hardware is supposed to be EXACTLY the same... when its not, you're basically going to see weird behavior for a little while until devices time out as it figures out what hardware is still attached to the system. I could do the same thing if I put a system to sleep with a HD plugged in, unplugged it, then woke up the system. It'd complain about the disk being removed without being ejected, since it was. One second it was there and working, the next second it's gone. The computer doesn't keep track of what's happening when it's sleeping.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:06 am 
Master

I presume this problem started out infrequently at first and then got progressively worse until it became kind of intolerable?

Try cleaning all the paper feed rollers and paper pickup roller with a small amount of window cleaner and a cloth (avoid paper towels unless they're extra tough so you don't get chunks of paper towel stuck in the printer). Pay special attention to the pickup roller at the slot in back where you load paper. It's hard to reach and hard to clean, but you can probably give it a good rubdown if you're persistent. Sometimes telling it to print while you hold the cloth with a finger on the roller helps, so it rotates the entire roller over the cloth...just don't let it grab the cloth! You can also lightly dampen a sheet of paper with Windex or its ilk and run print a blank page, although the friction of the cloth will give better results.

You may also need to extensively clean the inside of the printer. You'll get unusual paper feed behavior if any paper position sensors in the printer get clogged up with ink, dust, or debris. I don't know where the sensors are in that model.

If cleaning doesn't improve the situation it's possible it's simply worn out (although I suspect cleaning will fix it up). This was a $79.95-ish inkjet printer/scanner and they weren't really designed to be repaired.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:15 am 

@MB && Anony:

Thanks for the ideas, "we" will look into it . . . cleaning would be good . . . but, indeed, a "cheapie" . . . .

e...