XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:10 pm 

LED. Might have a few days left, but reluctant to send this one back. This is the second one. Already sent the first one back to Amazon after Acer level 2 told me it was defective. I've googled the shit out of this, and can't find anyone else with this issue. Asked at Amazon if anyone with a Mac was seeing this and got two negative replies. Also asked on the Acer forums (user to user, but probably entirely PC users), and got zero replies.

Now that I have this little program going, I can live with it, more or less. And, in all other respects, it seems pretty decent. Everything is nice and sharp. Very apprehensive about trying some other monitor. With my luck, something else will be wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:45 pm 

Well, aside from the awkward button placement, my VN248 is mostly problem free. The biggest problem is that unless you get it on sale (like I did) it's fairly expensive @ $160. The other two issues are that the HDMI inputs are downward facing, so cables as easy to get loose, and the stock stand flexed & bounced as I typed. I replaced the latter with a generic VESA stand designed to accept 30" displays... no more bouncing. Since I touchtype I'm sensitive to the display bouncing around, anyone who looks at the keyboard while typing won't notice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:14 am 

I may try out a different monitor, after all. Just saw this Dell S2415H (IPS) at newegg, at $149. Not all that many reviews there, but they are all decent. And many more decent reviews at Amazon.

It gets a very thorough very technical review here. Mostly positive.

Very complete run through of the OSD here.

No DVI, but HDMI needed to get sound anyway. And 6ms response time, but I'm not interested in games, so don't much care about the difference between 5ms (the Acer) and this one. And anyway, from what I can tell serious gamers prefer 2ms--nothing I care about in the least.

What makes this even thinkable now is that I called Amazon to say that this one is also defective, They, astonishingly, issued an instant refund, and gave me until the end of Jan 2016 to return the Acer, entirely prepaid. When I asked the rep what happens now that I already have the refund if I never return it, she said, "it's better if I do." "Better"!!!??? It was shipped from and fulfilled by Amazon, but came from a third party outfit, who I wouldn't feel like screwing, if I decide to keep the Dell, which I would be able to try out side by side with the Acer and compare. (Except wondering who eats the cost should I not return it, Amazon or the third party--and would they charge my card again if they didn't get it back? Hmmm?)

Something else just crossed my mind about the Acer backlight gradually getting brighter: is it possible that, since the SMC in the Mini has lost output from the ambient and drive temp sensors, which I expertly ripped off the logic board last summer (I haven't yet gotten around to repairing that--still using SSD Fan Control to regulate the fan speed. Scared shitless of opening it up again and destroying it for good this time), it seems highly unlikely, but is there even the remotest possibility that the SMC in the Mini, somewhat crippled as it is currently, is responsible for the backlight gradually getting too bright? If that's what's happening, it's going to happen with any monitor. Wondering if this is the cause, since I am completely unable to find anyone else reporting this issue.

However, maybe better the devil I know (this Acer) than the one I don't.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:57 am 
Benevolent Dictator

The Dell monitor I got from Mike many years ago is great, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one if I could afford it.

I'm betting you'd end up paying for it if it wasn't returned.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:39 pm 
Master

WZZZ wrote:
...is there even the remotest possibility that the SMC in the Mini, somewhat crippled as it is currently, is responsible for the backlight gradually getting too bright?...

No. Not if it's the backlight that's changing brightness.

I've had good luck with Dell monitors. I've bought several dozen over the years, still have one personally, and only had a single one die even in old age. I haven't bought one in a couple years, but all my past experience was positive: they all struck me as well designed and well constructed.

If you don't ship the old monitor back they'll probably un-reverse the charge come January.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:06 am 

Thanks BD, Anon. Gave me the needed confidence and I ordered one of these. Not risking all that much, since I will still have the Acer if the Dell doesn't work out, for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:23 pm 
Master

I should've just shipped you my old Apple Cinema Display that I don't use anymore. I originally got it in 2007 or so from Michael Kramer and finally retired it last year. It's kind of dim, but otherwise works fine, and it's taking up a bit of space in my bedroom. Shipping would have been a **** though.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:36 am 

Well, the Dell arrived and is now sitting on the floor about 3 feet away. Will eventually get up the nerve to take it out of the box and try it out. Maybe in a few hours. Need some new nerve, since my monitor try-out nerves are shot. "Third time lucky," or "never two without three." Not sure which one it will be.

For the Apple display, yeah packing that up and shipping it would be a pain. But thanks for the thought.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:29 pm 

So far, so good. Backlight stays where I set it. So there really was a problem with that Acer model. Viewing angle seems more uniform. I had to tilt the Acer backwards quite a lot to be able to get the bottom of the screen to show properly. Everything is clear and crisp. Of course, the tiny speakers suck (not unexpected) and a big PITA is the cables get inserted vertically upwards in a very hard to see recess in the back. Not a problem for the HDMI or power adapter, since those don't get changed, but very difficult to find the headphone/audio out jack when wanting to use headphones. To insert the cables, had to use a flashlight and a mirror, with the monitor tilted back quite precariously. And then, wasn't even certain I had properly located the port, since I was doing it kind of blind. Whoever designed this was too concerned with form (clean look) over function.

However, on balance a big improvement.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:57 pm 

A suggestion for the headphone cables: Go to monoprice.com and get this extension cable and plug it into your monitor so you can just plug your headphones into it instead. It's much easier to get to than the back of your monitor.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:33 pm 

Yeah, actually thought of that. Even have one lying around somewhere. But problem with that is that then no speakers. Crappy as they are, might want them on from time to time. Biggest headache is how absurdly difficult it is to plug/unplug anything in the back.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:56 pm 

Duh. There is no problem connecting to the headphone jack on this Dell, once you know where it is. I had been confusing the headphone jack with the Audio Line in jack. The (real) headphone jack is actually very conveniently located just on the front left side of the monitor. Just didn't know it was there. Hidden in plain sight. :bonk:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:33 am 

Hooray!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:41 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Hooray!

Thanks, me now be happy camper.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:48 pm 

Just sent the Acer back--on them. Even if I could have kept it, I have no need for it, it was less than a totally satisfying experience, and I'm glad to get rid of it, as it was just taking up space.

Anyway, next up from Amazon Santa Claus, an email telling me that my purchase of the Acer entitles me to "Amazon Cloud Drive/12 months FREE Unlimited Everything cloud storage."

"You can securely store unlimited files, auto-save photos to free up space on your phone, share large files like videos, and more." Hmmm...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:57 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

How much is it after 12 months when you can no longer access them without divvying up?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:06 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
How much is it after 12 months when you can no longer access them without divvying up?

Yeah, and I'm not sure I have any real need for it anyway. If I did use it I wouldn't let myself become dependent on it, and could easily let go of it after a year. Besides that, not all that excited about the idea of putting my files out on anyone's Cloud storage. Don't use the free one from Apple.

EDIT: doesn't appear to be so hot.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382825,00.asp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:15 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yeah, & the Apple iCloud is likely worse because they've never gotten it right, & at whim will say "you once were a pig, now you're a cow, please update to a new religion. :(