XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:43 am 

A fairly specific question.
I've done a tutorial using keynote. My intent when it was complete was to play the presentation and provide verbal instruction while using Screenflow to capture the video. Part of that process would also involve my using my Wacom Table and pen to diagram in realtime while recording. I can't seem to accomplish this. I have software for writing on the screen (Deskscribble, Omnidazzle, Flysketch) that work fine to write on the desktop or on a webpage or even a single slide within Keynote. The problem is when I put Keynote into Play the pen no longer works as a writing tool and if I try to make any switch to any of the writing software it move to the software and away from the active presentation as though I were switching to a different Desktop. The process I am trying to engage in would seem like a common one ie. creating a tutorial video using a prepared Keynote presentation as background while adding realtime comment and of course the final element that I am asking about is adding the ability to write on the slides using the tablet in realtime as the thing is being recorded.

I have had no success searching for a solution to this. Any ideas?

BTW, here is a good demo of exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to accomplish but even though he has the same tools as me I can't get it to work. I note that he is using 10.6 while I am using 10.9. My fear is...
well, you know.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:48 am 

Perhaps a solution might be to play the presentation in something aside from full screen. Is that possible? BTW, I'm using Keynote version '09.

Last edited by db5owat on Fri May 30, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:32 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Sorry, I have no Keynote. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:54 am 

It seems this is not an issue that others are having to negotiate. In any event I'm posting my solution in case someone else is in a similar situation. Also, when I forget how I solved this in 3 months, I can come back here and read about it!

It's my understanding that MS PowerPoint has no issue with this. It's built into the program. I think the newer version of Keynote for IOS also has a built in tool that allows a limited on screen "free draw" capability while in presentation mode. In trying to solve for my particular needs (described above) I discovered first a work around and finally today a real solution. I'll describe both.

Workaround - in Keynote 09 there is an option under File to Export to Quicktime. Selecting this option presents the dialogue box shown in the attached pic. Selecting "Manual Advance" is supposed to create a Quicktime movie with the ability to advance by click a slide at a time. Actually this only works properly in Quicktime 7. In Quicktime 7 this works quite well and advances a slide at a time with each successive click exactly as set up in Keynote. With that movie I can use ScreenFlow to Capture the Quicktime movie as I use the Wacom Pen to write in real time on the presentation. This is not perfect and requires more planning, but it does work. However, I could not get Quicktime Player 10.3 to do anything other than play the movie from start to end like any other movie clip. Manual advance does not seem to make a difference with Quicktime Player 10.3.

The Better Solution - I discovered purely by trial and error that if one uses a combination of correct Keynote preference and OmniDazzle software it is possible to "free draw" with Wacom pen in real time on a Keynote presentation in Play (presentation mode) while using ScreenFlow to record the result. OmniDazzle is free software and was widely used up to OSX 10.6. It is still available but has mixed results on newer OSX versions. I'm using 10.9 and with my limited use using the 'scribble' feature I have had no issues. I mentioned an important Keynote preference, in fact a critical preference. In Keynote/preference Slideshow tab, the box entitled "Allow Expos'e, Dashboard and others to use screen" must be ticked (see pic). That was the key to allowing OmniDazzle to work on the Keynote presentation while in play.

Just to be clear the entire process involves first creating a Keynote presentations with all appropriate timings and transitions. Rehearse the presentation with your live annotations and verbal comments until ready to perform. Start both OmniDazzle and ScreenFlow. Start ScreenFlow to capture video, press play on the Keynote presentation, invoke the OmniDazzle key command to select the pen/color and begin your presentation recording process. Slides can be advanced by click and the OmniDazzle 'scribble' feature can be used with the Wacom pen to write on the presentation while recording. It's really exactly what I envisioned doing. I should mention that I could not get any of the other pen/drawing software to work in the way I've described.
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 2.00.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 2.00.44 PM.png [ 100.79 KiB | Viewed 3887 times ]
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 1.49.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 1.49.43 PM.png [ 92.58 KiB | Viewed 3887 times ]

One final discovery I have made is that OmniDazzle will not work with any application in "Full Screen" mode. For example, if you are in FireFox and 'free drawing on the screen as part of a screencast recording, it will work fine. If you enter full screen mode with FireFox that ability to free draw on the screen is gone. When you come out of full screen mode you may actually see the result of what you were attempting to draw while in full screen, but in full screen you will be unable to see any of it.

Last edited by db5owat on Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great work, thanks for the report! :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:42 pm 

Update (of a sort)....
I just started to work on another presentation as I described above (while back on 10.9) & low and behold....OmniDazzle no longer functions in 10.9.5. So I am once again stuck as described initially in this post. Well, stuck if I try and do anything within 10.9.5. I set up a secondary drive to boot into 10.8 and I guess I'll have to use that for anything involving this particular style of screencast/presentation that really best suits my needs.

Maybe someone can confirm that Omnidazzle does not function on 10.9.5. I have a hackintosh so there's always a possibility of specific conflict.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:30 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

10.9.x broke most of my useful Apps, 10.10.x broke them all, still no OmniDazzle here, do they have a demo?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:53 am 

Hi BDA. The link above is to the Omnidazzle app and it is free. Maybe you can confirm it no longer works with 10.9.5. If it does work for you it might be something with my hackintosh that breaks it. As I mentioned above, it worked for me on 10.9

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:08 am 
Benevolent Dictator

OK, will try later today...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:34 am 

I have had the opportunity to try omnidazzle on a real Mac mini running 10.9.5. It works well. That means I have something inherant in my hackintosh that is causing the issue. There are a few hackintosh users here, anyone have any ideas ? Maybe there are just too many variables.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:28 am 
Benevolent Dictator

And no clues in Console?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:55 am 

Did you have to do anything special to get your video card enabled?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:20 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
And no clues in Console?

Well, I'm not too good with the cousole. Don't really know where to look or what to look for.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:21 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Did you have to do anything special to get your video card enabled?

No my card is natively supported. EVGA GTX760. Maybe it is worth a try at doing a fresh install of 10.9.5 on a spare drive.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:24 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

When the failing is happening view Console for words like failed, no such file or directory, things like that. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:03 pm 

I generally look in Console at a specific timeframe for repeating messages or something that says error, problem, or the like. The timeframe is when I'm trying to do what I want to do and it's not working.

At least you're not on 10.10. I've been noticing the never-ending series of CUDA and driver updates for NVidia cards on xlr8yourmac.com...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:12 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
I've been noticing the never-ending series of CUDA and driver updates for NVidia cards on xlr8yourmac.com...

Me too, Apple changes the OS far too often for no good reason for the users, that & disposable HW is really disappointing. :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:18 am 

To be honest, Nvidia is to blame for that fiasco. Their CUDA and display driver teams apparently don't talk to each other. Basically the display driver team released a new driver, then the CUDA team released new CUDA libraries... but didn't include support for the new display driver, only the older one. Nvidia's left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing and vice versa. I haven't seen that level of dysfunctionality since 3Dfx.

But yeah, there's no chance in hell I would ever buy a glued-together personal computer. I've been strongly encouraging others to avoid them too. Sadly I don't think we'll be able to get out of buying them at my workplace without massive tantrums and mass resignations. Some people drink too deeply from the kool-aid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:53 am 

I found a couple of bits of info in the console relating to OmniDazzle crashing. Just a quick general re-iteration of the issue. OmniDazzle works with 10.8 on my hackintosh. It crashes on 10.9 and 10.10. It used to work for me on 10.9.5 but I got a new graphics card and I think that might be related. OmniDazzle does seem to work (for my purpose) on a real mac in 10.9. Below are the screenshots from the console at exact crash moment. This may be too obscure for anyone here to resolve but it's worth a shot.
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 10.42.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 10.42.20 AM.png [ 26.33 KiB | Viewed 3284 times ]

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 10.44.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 10.44.25 AM.png [ 78.14 KiB | Viewed 3284 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:09 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmm… shared cache slide !???

What all else is running?

What all 3rd party extentions are you running? 

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:16 am 

The interest in my little topic is palpable. The passion for this topic burns with the white hot heat of a thousand suns. That's why even though I have not found a solution to OmniDazzle's consistent crashing as it relates to my specific system, I am non the less posting my optional solution to this issue as it relates to using a pen/tablet drawing tool in conjunction with keynote presentations, and more specifically as it is used in play mode during live screen recording. As I get closer to revealing my personal solution I feel a climaxing interest, pulsating with a desire never before experienced in the Mac/Hack presentation tablet tool topic arena. The solution.........

I am using a different piece of software.

It is called.........Ink2go. In all seriousness, it is a great little piece of software that is deigned to work specifically with keynote in mind and with the intention to make live annotations (as well as many other presentation uses) possible. So, I feel like I can now let this topic fade into even further obscurity. ;)

Farewell OmniDazzle. I've got to go.....actually, ink2go!

*The terms "white hot heat" & "tablet tool topic" are used solely for their alliterative impact.