XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:10 pm 

I'm still in the old analog world (with digital converter box.) Size is narrowed down to 32" and 720, since at that size 1080 apparently won't make any difference, and not worth the extra money. Basically need for Netflix. I suppose that means an Apple TV, or a WiFi equipped TV. Probably want an LED backlit model.

The following may be deal breakers: I have an older Toshiba DVD/VCR (still working fine) but any TV I buy must have the proper inputs for it. I'm seeing that most now have component inputs, and that's fine for the DVD part; this one has component out + audio, but the VCR (or DVD/VCR) out will need standard red/white/yellow inputs on the new TV. The VCR doesn't come through on component. I'm guessing that might be extremely hard to find now.

And it must have a headphone/audio out jack. The sound can be pretty tinny on these models, so probably need external speakers, and the headphone jack is a must for my poor hearing.

I've found these two, but I don't think they have all the necessary inputs or are missing the headphone/audio out, so I'm just listing them as reference points.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E320i-A0-32 ... B0096YOQRY (This one is a bit under $300, but factoring in not having to buy the Apple TV (refurb at $75, it could make sense, if it had the right inputs. I had never heard of Vizio, but it gets decent reviews.)

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-32LN530B-led-tv (This one can be found for around $240.) LG, also a bit of an off-brand, gets decent reviews.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:28 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I'm sure this one has eveything!

http://www.komonews.com/news/tech/Samsu ... 83411.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:35 pm 
Master

I'd still think about getting a 1080p display because it'll only cost an extra $25 and you can more practically use such a display as an external monitor should you ever desire to.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm 

Most non-black friday (i.e. stripped) Samsung models have Multi-AV capability. They usually use a proprietary connector that allows either component or standard RCA A/V connections, but not both unfortunately. You'll be best served by getting an HDMI enabled DVD player, as those are cheap and using the Multi-AV port for the VCR portion of your DVD/VCR combo.

Yours is an outlier case unfortunately as VCRs have long since gone the way of the dinosaur and TVs no longer have to support analog inputs, so it would behoove you to move as much of your equipment to the digital side as possible so you can use the lone input for analog with the one component that there is no upgrade for anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:07 pm 

Yeah, I picked up a Samsung DVD player for my folks for around $40 that has HDMI out and actually changes the input on their TV when they turn on the DVD player (and changes it back when they turn it off). Kind of nifty, but you need a Samsung TV for the latter function.

Now that they've both passed away I've got no idea what to do with it. I import all my DVDs to h.264, which the TV can play via USB.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:58 pm 
Master

Not too long ago I loaned a relative a FireWire 400 <--> 800 cable to use with his device for recording tapes on to the computer.

I do, however, know someone who still loves VCRs: she says they're amazing to take apart to scavenge bits for steampunkish jewelry. They're just on that electric-mechanical divide that gives many of their big clunky unreliable parts a great retrofuturistic look.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:05 am 

LG is an off brand?

I have the big brother of the Vizio, and I wish I could have bought a dumb teevee instead. Waiting a tiny bit for it to boot up is just lame.

I would follow MonkeyBoys suggestion and get a newer DVD player with HDMI, then use the composite(plug the yellow from the VCR into the Yellow for the Component connection) for your VCR.

You could get a stereo RCA to headphone adapter just about anywhere if it has to be a mini-headphone jack.

SC

[edit]For future reference, I am only discussing the features of the aforementioned Vizio.[/edit]

Desktop: Intel mini: 2.33 GHz i5 (G4/C2D minis are out with bad HDDs) OS X 10.10
qBOX-SF with four 2 TB
Peecee - Core i7 4771 W7 Pro 64
Server - Xeon 1231 FreeNAS

Last edited by Smithcraft on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:58 am 

I have Samsung F8000 as a secondary TV. It's 40" but to be honest I think you'd be happy with that size. The bezel is practically non-existant, helping to make it look smaller. The problem is probably price.

I think many modern TVs now have a DVR function built in so you can attach an external disk and record/playback from that. As for the DVDs, I'd just rip them and play them back via a hard disk or using an AppleTV/DLNA solution. Mine has one but I've never actually tried it as TV here isn't really worth watching (channel promotion overlays, breaks for ads, dodgy reception etc.

One thing that has supremely disappointed me is the 'Smart' capabilities of modern high end TVs. If Apple pumps a real computer into a largescreen TV or as an add-on and makes it granny proof they would wipe the floor with the competition. I just cannot believe that my Samsung cannot display my videos in 'List' mode. It has a 'view options' button that only allows one option: 'Folder view' :nothappy: :nothappy: :nothappy: :nothappy: :upset: and Samsung support has to be the lamest available.

Last edited by Avon B7 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:38 am 

Smithcraft wrote:
LG is an off brand?

I have the big brother of the Vizio, and I wish I could have bought a dumb teevee instead. Waiting a tiny bit for it to boot up is just lame.

I would follow MonkeyBoys suggestion and get a newer DVD player with HDMI, then use the composite(plug the yellow from the VCR into the Yellow for the Component connection) for your VCR.

You could get a stereo RCA to headphone adapter just about anywhere if it has to be a mini-headphone jack.

SC

About the LG is an off-Brand remark: I'm still of an era, for consumer electronics at least (which I normally don't care anything about--the only reason for any of this now is Netflix, in order to watch movies), where the only brands I recognize as top tier are Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, and maybe the latecomer Samsung. I really haven't paid any attention to this stuff in ages. I have two TVs: a 1990 circa Zenith (inherited from my mother many years ago), and the newer Toshiba, very recent, maybe 2003. I"m still driving a Nash. Might look into getting a used Toyota. Has anyone heard of that brand? Honda? seems to be up and coming.

That sounds interesting: Are you saying that the ordinary yellow composite output from the VCR will work connected to the yellow of the component on the TV for VCR video output? Then I would use the remaining two audio AV ins (if the new TV has two ordinary RCA AV ins) on the TV for the audio? If that is so, since I don't use the DVD/VCR combo all that much, I wouldn't mind just manually moving those cables around when either the DVD or the VCR is required. I still have some VHS tapes I occasionally like to watch.

What does it mean if the specs for a TV say AV in 1? Can I assume that means there is one input comprised of two stereo RCA, left and right? Could it mean that there is some special AV in connection, not the ordinary red and white RCA for audio?

The LG (which I'm just giving as an example for connections) shows

RF In (Antenna/Cable)
AV In
Component Video In(Y, Pb, Pr + Audio)
HDMI™/HDCP Input
USB 3.0/2.0 Input
Digital Audio Out (Optical)
RS-232C (Control/Service)

Apparently, no headphone or analog out of any kind, so even if I wanted it that's a deal breaker. What do I look for to be sure it has an analog audio out that will work with headphones or external speakers? Some say headphone jack, which is obvious, but others not so clear to me.

The component shows + Audio Does that mean it has two RCA audio in, left and right?

And then it shows AV in That means two additional RCA audio in, left and right?

All this is very confusing to my ancient analog brain. It's a total accident that I know anything about computers, or even how to operate one. I was in the middle of a phone call in a telephone booth outside during a severe electrical storm, when I was suddenly zapped. Next thing I knew, I was babbling the incomprehensible (to me at the time) word sudo over and over. I suddenly found myself wearing tights and a cape, along with the word Superuser inexplicably emblazoned on my now lycra covered chest.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:21 am 

WZZZ wrote:
inexplicably emblazoned on my now lycra covered chest.

What a scare! As I was reading that I thought the last word was going to be something under the lycra tights :badteeth: :badteeth: :badteeth:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:30 am 

That particular LG looks very limited. No headphone jack, very restricted USB playback (mp3 and jpg), no wi-fi, etc.

I'm sure you can pick up something 'smart' (albeit dumb-smart) and squeeze more out of it for just a little more in price.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:01 am 

Avon B7 wrote:
That particular LG looks very limited. No headphone jack, very restricted USB playback (mp3 and jpg), no wi-fi, etc.

I'm sure you can pick up something 'smart' (albeit dumb-smart) and squeeze more out of it for just a little more in price.

Yeah, just gave that as an example of the what the rear connections can be.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:30 pm 
he who stacks pork

How in the short-lived life of technology has the RS-232 interface survived all these decades??? :o :?:

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:40 pm 

Everyone needs a serial port (for diagnostics/configuration/etc.), USB has to be licensed on a per-port basis, and the chance of an idiot plugging their USB flash drive/hard drive/etc. into the serial port by mistake is 0. Even Tomato-enabled routers have serial ports, of a sort, though you usually have to solder pins into the appropriate holes on the board.

I think the idea of moving to HDMI, WZZZ, is that for the TVs that give you the either composite or component option, moving the DVD from component to HDMI frees you up to use the composite adapter in place of the component adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:12 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Yeah, I picked up a Samsung DVD player for my folks for around $40 that has HDMI out and actually changes the input on their TV when they turn on the DVD player (and changes it back when they turn it off). Kind of nifty, but you need a Samsung TV for the latter function.

Now that they've both passed away I've got no idea what to do with it. I import all my DVDs to h.264, which the TV can play via USB.

This function is called HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). It is not specific to Samsung and can work with any brand of TV that supports HDMI CEC. I recommend against using this function though, as it is exceptionally finnicky between brands, and even within the same brand often doesn't work. And also recommend never using it in conjunction with an AVR. Do so and you're just asking for a tech support nightmare.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:46 pm 

Now I need to see if the yellow out from the VCR works with the Yellow-Green composite in on the TV. But I've had too much wine to drinkkkk and not sure I'm up to it.... :coffee:

Looked at this one at Best Buy today. Has headphone jack, but someone in a review somewhere says that the audio out, aka headphone jack, is not variable. Does that mean the volume control doesn't control it? Can't be right, right?

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN32EH5000FXZA

$329 More than I wanted to spend.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:50 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

What kind of Wine???

We can't help without complete info! :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:33 am 
he who stacks pork

Hopefully it was some stick-to-your-ribs-rich old vine zinfandel.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:11 pm 

It was a really nice Beaujolais Villages. And I had too much. Knocked me out and had to take a long nap after dinner.

I've been experimenting with the composite yellow out from the VCR to the component yellow (green) on the small, older 21" flat screen Samsung with HDMI my son gave us, which was the proximate cause of all of this looking around for a new TV. The idea being that, with Netflix, we'd want to see movies on a bigger screen than that.

Results of this experiment: doesn't seem to work, even though all the "advanced, skilled" help at Best Buy said it would. There is an image, of sorts, but it's barely discernible. And with the yellow composite out from the VCR to the older Toshiba (CRT) component input, I get a decent image, but it's black & white only. So my plan to keep the old VCR working on the new TV, and manually switch the cables for either the DVD or VCR doesn't seem to be panning out. Only chance for this to still work would be if the newer flat screen TVs deal with the composite to component video thing differently than this older Samsung TV does. Anyone know about that?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:39 pm 

I was only discussing the Vizio model that is the little brother to my Vizio, and not every manufacturer.

SC

Desktop: Intel mini: 2.33 GHz i5 (G4/C2D minis are out with bad HDDs) OS X 10.10
qBOX-SF with four 2 TB
Peecee - Core i7 4771 W7 Pro 64
Server - Xeon 1231 FreeNAS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:02 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
It was a really nice Beaujolais Villages. And I had too much. Knocked me out and had to take a long nap after dinner.

I've been experimenting with the composite yellow out from the VCR to the component yellow (green) on the small, older 21" flat screen Samsung with HDMI my son gave us, which was the proximate cause of all of this looking around for a new TV. The idea being that, with Netflix, we'd want to see movies on a bigger screen than that.

Results of this experiment: doesn't seem to work, even though all the "advanced, skilled" help at Best Buy said it would. There is an image, of sorts, but it's barely discernible. And with the yellow composite out from the VCR to the older Toshiba (CRT) component input, I get a decent image, but it's black & white only. So my plan to keep the old VCR working on the new TV, and manually switch the cables for either the DVD or VCR doesn't seem to be panning out. Only chance for this to still work would be if the newer flat screen TVs deal with the composite to component video thing differently than this older Samsung TV does. Anyone know about that?

You need to select the AV input source on the Samsung TV. There are two distinct menu options for that combined input: Component and AV. Select AV and it will work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:43 am 

Squishy Tia wrote:

You need to select the AV input source on the Samsung TV. There are two distinct menu options for that combined input: Component and AV. Select AV and it will work.

Doesn't work. I get message that no input is detected. Here's what I found out after calling Samsung: The newer TVs have now combined the older, yellow composite video in with the component video in, and that is selected, as you said, by choosing AV. That's why in the store I was seeing that port as grn/yellow-Video. The older 22" Samsung is just green, no Video. (It doesn't need the component doing double duty like that because it still has all the older composite ports. I misled you when I said that the older one had a yellow/green component input. It's green only.

Next thing I found out is the one I was looking at in the store has an audio out, not a headphone jack, even though that's a 3.5mm mini port. The volume control on the TV won't control that. It sends the full audio output of the Samsung, so I'm going to need to find some kind of extension cable with a volume control in order to use headphones.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:37 am 

Is your green connector on a little adapter? That connects to the TV via a minijack-style plug? On the off chance you keep all the stuff that comes with the TV you may find a second adapter that has composite input in the pile/box of stuff. The Samsung I bought for my folks was that way, though it may be a little newer (it's a 1080p 23" LED-backlit LCD). I made them keep the box for it since I knew the adapter(s) would get scattered/tossed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:20 pm 

Nope, no adapters. This 22" was a hand me down from my son who graduated to a 32". Got the TV and the remote; that's it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:53 am 

WZZZ wrote:
Squishy Tia wrote:

Doesn't work. I get message that no input is detected. Here's what I found out after calling Samsung: The newer TVs have now combined the older, yellow composite video in with the component video in, and that is selected, as you said, by choosing AV. That's why in the store I was seeing that port as grn/yellow-Video. The older 22" Samsung is just green, no Video. (It doesn't need the component doing double duty like that because it still has all the older composite ports. I misled you when I said that the older one had a yellow/green component input. It's green only.

Next thing I found out is the one I was looking at in the store has an audio out, not a headphone jack, even though that's a 3.5mm mini port. The volume control on the TV won't control that. It sends the full audio output of the Samsung, so I'm going to need to find some kind of extension cable with a volume control in order to use headphones.

The 3.5mm jack just might be a mini-optical out jack like the Apple versions are on their laptops and iMacs. If so, then it's just sending the PCM stream out to an AVR and will not power headphones at all.

As for the AV adapter mentioned, this is what it would look like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE40D55 ... 072WDKKQ/2