XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: nVidia?
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:09 pm 

Will we ever be able to really use nVidia GPUs with Macs? HOW can they actually make an upgradable, modular Mac Pro that only allows ONE vendor's GPU?

Post subject: Re: nVidia?
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:27 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

My feeling is Apple likes to mess with people, Users & Manufactures included.

I think the next Mac pro or the one after will have all Apple chips, probably 8 Quad core A12 CPUs & proprietary integrated GPU... it'll have no ports, everything will be handled through iClod. :whip:

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:57 pm 

They could require a custom firmware to be on PCIe cards that they selectively license to a particular manufacturer. They could produce the cards themselves and not allow any third parties to make compatible cards.

I see little chance of a reaction to that kind of solution other than a complete flop on the scale of the current Mac Pro though. I hope that Apple learned its lessons from that and that the next model will be a return to something like the old Mac Pro (though probably without as many expansion slots because Jony Ive can't be stopped from making everything thin and expansion slots require thickness).

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:04 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

And those huge Ports destroying the sleekness of the design... can't have that.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:48 am 

At this point, I am coddling my cMP 5,1 with all my might. She's 10 years old, but the mobo seems pretty solid. In lieu of any hardware upgrades from Cupertino, I spent some money on a GTX 980 (flashed) and a PCI card to mount 2 SSDs that I made into a boot array. What I want is a simple mid-tower, slots, T3, T2 if I must have, latest BT, WiFi 6, M2 mobo slots, an optical drive that can deal with 4K BDs, and a couple of drive bays. Honestly, this is NOT rocket science, what I want COULD very easily have been made 2 years ago, well, maybe not wiFi6, but socketed chip so we can upgrade it (errr, isn't the the point of a real pro machine?).

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:31 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I've noticed an uptick in prices & demand for 2010-1012 Mac Pros lately, I think it's a safe bet there'll be more drawbacks to any new Mac Pro than a 5,1.

I also wonder if the T2 chip isn't going to spell doom for Hackintoshes?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:44 pm 

Hate to say it, but I'd bet within 2 years of t2 equipped machines in the market, boom, the os won't run if it doesn't see it. My only real kinda out is that my cMP SHOULD be able to run win10 for quite a few years going forward. As I have less and less dependent on the OS for work, it will be surfing, e-mail and some games. AND a win10 box really does suit those quite well. Besides, ResEdit (my fave all time Mac app) kinda went out of fashion YEARS ago <lol>.

AND I have another cheesegrater sitting away in a corner... wonder if I can tell which one w/o trying to boot it?? Opened the side panel, I see 2 big processor shrouds labeled G5...

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:30 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Sadly my G5 sits in a closet, hopefully shielded from the rain & in good enough shape to br buried with me.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:05 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Sadly my G5 sits in a closet, hopefully shielded from the rain & in good enough shape to br buried with me.

No speaking of being buried! The only sleeping with the fishies you're allowed to do is on a cot next to your aquariums. None of that other stuff!

^_^

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:54 am 

I keep mentioning Windows 10 support to the guys who keep lamenting we can't replace old Mac labs with more Macs due to the cost of new systems, mentioning that we could just put Windows 10 on the old systems and keep running them for years... though realistically we can get new PCs for less than it'd cost to upgrade the old Macs to be useful even w/Win10, which is what we've been doing.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 am 
Benevolent Dictator

There'll be a lot of us going that way... kicking & screaming of course.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:26 pm 

Almost related question, I have read that Nvidia Freesync works only through DisplayPort. However some people claim, that their Samsung RU8000 (VRR) works with nvidia cards. Are they using drugs, or am I? :shock: Pondering to buy 65" RU8000 as a display. :confused:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:14 pm 

miero wrote:
Almost related question, I have read that Nvidia Freesync works only through DisplayPort. However some people claim, that their Samsung RU8000 (VRR) works with nvidia cards. Are they using drugs, or am I? :shock: Pondering to buy 65" RU8000 as a display. :confused:

nVidia is using a version of FreeSync that is the VESA standards version, which is indeed DisplayPort only. Samsung's VRR is a bastardized hijacking of HDMI metadata over a 1.4/2.0b connection and is not the same thing as the official HDMI 2.1 VRR. For that reason, it won't work properly. It works with AMD's GPUs just fine as AMD's VRR implementation works the same way Samsung's does. However, if you want actual truly working VRR, you need to wait for HDMI 2.1 to come out and get a new nVidia GPU that has HDMI 2.1 built in. Since neither of those are out, you have to wait until next year as manufacturers are still trying to ramp up their fabs for HDMI 2.1 controller production as the spec was only finalized last November. Typical spec finalization to mass market devices is 1.5 years, so in this case, 2020. And you'll need an HDMI 2.1 capable prepro/AVR if this is all part of a home theater setup.

VRR on nVidia is a no-go outside of DisplayPort right now, and no, a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter won't work. AMD/Samsung took that out of the equation by shoehorning the feature in via hijacking the metadata.

Your best bet if you still like the RU8000 for everything else is to just use it in PC Mode, which enables chroma 4:4:4 (no subsampling) for computer connections. You lose motion interpolation in that mode, but for computer use you usually don't want that.

Note: Motion interpolation can be kept even in PC mode when switching your resolution to 1080p24 or 4k24, as that automatically takes the TV out of PC mode without having to do the name change in the TV's menus. Once you switch back to 1080p60/4k60 resolutions, PC Mode is re-engaged automatically and your color is back to pristine mode.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:18 am 

Thanks Squishy Tia, that is what all sensible sources suggested. Of course Samsung does not mention anything about these details. Since the new Sony models are not in sale here yet, and the new version of 65" 9000F will have some crazy price tag (guessing 66,000 baht, I'm choosing between Samsung 65" RU8000 (4)and 75" RU7100.