XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:29 am 

I'm looking for a clever solution to my itunes conundrum. A little background. I dual boot my hackintosh currently between High Sierra & Mojave. For sometime now I have been using symlinks to keep large data stuff off of my SSD's and located on an a Old school platter drive. It has worked well, but ocaisionally presents issues like the one I currently have. If you look at the attached screenshot you can see that I have my entire music folder pointing to the data drive with a symlink. This symlinking data is shared between both High Sierra & Mojave (from 2 seperate SSD's). In other words those symlink folder (indicated by arrows) exist in my home folder on both HS & Mojave.
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 11.19.49 AM.png [88.93 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Unfortunately I 'upgraded' itunes on Mojave and now itunes will not work in High Sierra. The file that seems to make the difference is the itunes.library.itl (red rectangle). I can replace the updated file with the older version & and then itunes works in High Sierra but no longer works in Mojave. I think there is a way to make this work in each OS without completely relocating a lot of stuff but I can't quite put it together. Anyone have any solutions I can try?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:14 pm 

Hmmm....Nevermind. I replaced that itunesLibrary.itl file and now both versions of itunes (12.8n & 12.9) seem to work. Who knows :? . I have to remember to avoid 'upgrading' itunes I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:19 pm 

Yeah, isn't it fun when Apple fixes things that aren't broken?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:36 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Yeah, isn't it fun when Apple fixes things that aren't broken?

Uproariously so! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:42 pm 

Nope! Never quite that simple. When I replaced the itunes Library.itl file (that Mojave had upgraded making it no longer work in High Sierra) with the old itunes Library.itl file, yes itunes worked fine in HS. And when I tried it in Mojave it worked there too. But what I didn't realize is that when I started up itunes 12.9 in Mojave it altered the itunes Library.itl file without mentioning that fact to me. So, it did work but it also reset the HS side to a non-functioning state once again.

I have a new solution now. I returned to an older version of itunes on Mojave. Now both side are using the same 12.8 version of itunes. I think the main difference is just the loss of dark mode.

Last edited by db5owat on Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:55 pm 

I was going to mention that but since you said it worked I didn't want to rock the apple cart. :D

On most systems I keep iTunes updated because I never use the damn thing. On the systems I do use it on, I keep them at a version I know works. I still have no idea what version of iTunes I need to use for "family network sharing" to work properly with iOS 8. It kind of works with the version on my G5 but every attempt to get it working with my Mini's newer version has been met with failure. Mini says it's sharing, iOS never sees it. Windows running same version as Mini sees it.

I gave up on that network sharing feature and moved to non-Apple devices which magically work perfectly fine using non-Apple technologies. Can even browse files on an SMB/CIFS share.