XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:08 pm 
Master

I've recently suffered disappointing print quality from Adobe Illustrator CS5 printing to a Xerox VersaLink C405 DN, which is capable of producing very good (but not outstanding) print quality. The problem boiled down to Illustrator refusing to pass print dialog print settings to the printer, so I couldn't tell it to print on the highest quality settings.

I could work around the problem by creating a Postscript file and printing it from Preview, but sometimes Preview screwed it up (because OS X's built-in Postscript to PDF parser isn't purely perfect).

Dragging the Postscript file to the print queue didn't help because there it, again, didn't use the high quality settings.

I tried setting default print settings in the printer itself, but the VersaLink C405 doesn't support configuring default print quality on the printer itself, as more expensive Xerox printers and copies do.

The solution was to enable the CUPS web interface and manually configure the print settings for that individual printer inside CUPS.

To do so:
  1. In the terminal cupsctl WebInterface=yes
  2. In the web browser, go to: 127.0.0.1:631
  3. Click the Administration tab.
  4. Turn off "allow remote administration." (Not actually relevant to the printer settings, but a good idea anyway.)
  5. Click the "manage printers" button.
  6. Click the name of the printer queue for which to change the default settings.
  7. From the second select element under the name of the printer, select "set default options."
  8. Dig around through the various pages of sections to assign the default settings. If you make changes, be sure to click the "Set Default Options" button at the bottom of each page before navigating to another page.

Now all print jobs, even those sent from Illustrator or without invoking the print dialog, such as Postscript files dragged to the queue, will print with those settings.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:09 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Sweet, great tip. :)

PS. You can add/edit the subject to SOLVED. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:15 pm 
Master

I tend to use the site as a notepad to remember things that were painful to figure out.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:23 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yep, a bit that way here also... just thinking it'd be possibly of more help to others if we used SOLVED more often. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:23 pm 

I send emails to my coworker for similar reasons. Even if he immediately trashes them only to complain 3 months later that he doens't know how these things work, at least I still have a copy filed away so I can kinda sorta figure it out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:28 am 

You know, I think I had that happen when printing from Graphic or Gimp.

Forget which one, but I was printing sheets of labels and the rez wasn't there.