XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:45 am 

I can not see the listening quiz on the linked site when using Firefox 56.0. I can see the quiz using Safari or Chrome. What setting in Firefox might be blocking it? I do use Adblocker Ultimate and Ghostery but have 'allowed' the site under each.

NPR listening quiz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:41 pm 

With FF 56.0.1 and only uBlock Origin, a selection of blocklists in it, plus some site-specific plugins (none related to NPR), I can play the audio there just fine.

Best thing to do in these cases is to bookmark the site, close all other tabs, then disable plugins until you figure out what the culprit is, then try to figure out if you can manipulate the plugin to work. The reason for bookmarking is in case you have to completely restart the browser to disable a plugin.

I got frustrated at Ghostery a couple updates ago and gave up on it. With my curmudgeonly amount of blocklists in uBO I feel like its blocking more than Ghostery & ABP with less CPU. Although I did turn off html5 autoplay by hand. That &*(@#$ thing had to die.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:38 am 

Thanks MB!
It was the Ad Blocker Ultimate. I didn't suspect that because I had disabled it for NPR and that specific site. It apparently was still blocking that content. I'll give uBlock Origin a try since it does not block that content by default.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:13 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I tried testing it but being deaf I couldn't tell.

My suspicion ws that it ws some associated or REF site.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:25 pm 

I figure I'm audiophilogically deaf since I couldn't tell a difference from any of the clips in that test despite wearing very highly rated DJ headphones.

uBO used to have some great anti-adblock lists that did a good job of shutting down all those "wah wah you're running adblock disable it or go away" malware-friendly splash screens. They've replaced them in the newest version with some different lists, hopefully they're just as good. I haven't seen a warning in damn near forever.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:34 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I figure I'm audiophilogically deaf since I couldn't tell a difference from any of the clips in that test despite wearing very highly rated DJ headphones.

The purpose of that site is to demonstrate the difficulty, and collect background data of individuals ability to distinguish between wave files, 128bit and 320bit Mp3 audio files. I thought I would do very well. I am considered to have a very good ear and I expected to fairly easily distinguish between the examples. I did not do as well as expected. I think perhaps the examples are not particularly well suited for the purpose they are being used. I have pursued this a bit in terms of my personal ability to distinguish between wav files and 128bit Mp3's and can do much better with high quality examples that express the full audio range of human hearing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:21 pm 

I once thought I had a good ear, but I think I attended a few too many concerts in my youth. I have fair to bad tinnitus. Even with a fan running and other background noise its still pretty loud.