XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DIsk Utility "Oddity"
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:05 am 

In the words of Roseanne Roseannadanna, "It's always somethin'. If it's not one thing, it's another."

Just over the past two days, when launching it to mount a previously ejected drive, Disk Utility shows a drive mounted when it is not visible (as it should be if it were mounted) in my Finder window sidebar. Yesterday, it was the Audio 1 drive and, just now, it was the Time Machine drive; both on the Firewire bus.

If I select the drive and click the buttons to first unmount and then mount again, everything's fine. But why would Disk Utility see drives as being mounted when they're not?

I like good mysteries, but not this kind. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:34 am 
Benevolent Dictator

One possibility is they're going in & out of connection, but I expect you to see Volume ejected error at least.

Finder can be slow to catch & update some things.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:03 am 

Which OS?

I have had something similar happen with Mavericks. My configuration: I have a bare 6TB Seagate Ironwolf sitting on a docking station. The Seagate is partitioned into two volumes, one for my every 3 hours CarbonCopyCloner backup and the other for my TimeMachine backup (I use a utility that only lets it back up every 3 hours). Sometimes I need to use the docking station briefly for an archive drive so I will eject the CCC backup volume. Usually it then asks me if I want to eject the TM volume as well, which I do. I first make sure nothing is set to backup for a while. However, there have been times when I have done this, both volumes are gone in Finder and then looked at Disk Utility only to see that the two volumes are also gone but the actual drive itself is still listed. If I then put my hand on the drive itself I can feel it still rotating. My Energy Saver preferences are to sleep drives whenever possible, but I don't know if this refers to external drives too. I just felt my external which hasn't been used to backup anything for the past hour or so and it is still spinning, so I don't know. Anyway, I either have to reboot the computer and manually power down the drive while the computer is doing a startup check so I can catch it before it is read again, or I have to manually turn off the docking station. Oddly when I have done that I don't get one of those dreaded, 'a drive has been improperly removed and may be corrupt' messages. Maybe ejecting the volumes avoids that but it still goes against the grain to pull the plug on a spinning drive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:15 am 

This is OS 10.12.6 (Sierra). It's happened only once, so far (once each for two drives), but regarding BD's point about Finder perhaps being slow to catch things, I can't remember if these events occurred right after wake from sleep and login. So, I'll see how things go.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:02 pm 

If the drive is one of the late model (consumer) ones, they tend to "sleep" whenever
they can, due to energy efficient firmware. My Seagate external I bought on sale does that.
It's on eSata though and not firewire or USB. It will go to "sleep" before the computer
puts it to sleep. I'm on Sierra also.

It doesn't bother me that it does that, but other people that own that type of drive
have had issues with those type of drives "dropping out" (becoming unmounted).

Perhaps because It's mounted from a PCIe eSATA card rather than firewire or USB,
it hasn't caused any dismount issues. It will spin back up when when called upon.

It's the only drive I have that does that, the rest of my external spinners
(mostly HGST brand server drives) don't have any auto sleep firmware installed.
If they are plugged in, they are spinning, no matter what. A couple of the newer ones
will allow the computer to put them to sleep though. They don't completely sleep
though, they just spin down to a slower platter speed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:11 pm 

I used to have an eSATA drive in an external case that would constantly go to sleep, but when put into a different case it wouldn't go to sleep. So, in my situation, the case was at fault. My solution was to create a little bash script that touched a file in the root of the affected drives, then created a launchd task to run that script every minute or two. Voila, no sleep 'till Brooklyn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Keep Drive Spinning...

http://jon.stovell.info/software/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:57 pm 

The drive that likes to sleep is a Seagate Barracuda Pro ST4000DMAO6
OR ST4000DM006. Don't buy this one if auto sleep firmware functions
don't agree with you (Of course you could the App BD linked to. That
would make it keep spinning).

It's connected by a direct eSata to Sata adapter, no chip in between,
in an old OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro case that has no chipset inline.

Since it's strictly a backup drive, it doesn't bother me to have to wake
it up. Seems to be good drive, for $99.00 new, I can't complain.

When it's sleeping, it's saving a little on the electric bill. :)