XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:22 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
The link I posted earlier has instructions on how to reach it... long story short its in the installer app and you have to run it through Terminal. If your Hackintosh is still working that'd be a fine spot to create the media, though you'll need an unmodified install app in /Applications. Same version application as you want to install...

Ooo! The Hackintosh is put away, I’ll go set it back up, but it has a special OS X version designed for PCs, UniBeast Didn’t work. It’s Yosemite (Niresh) Zone. Idk if that will work on a real Mac :confused:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:06 pm 

Once its installed and working OS X doesn't care, its a Mac. You're not running the installer on the Hack, you're just using the createinstallmedia function to, well, create install media. All you need is copy of an unmodified installation app in Applications, which OS X won't give two shits about. You could trash it once you're done.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:34 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Once its installed and working OS X doesn't care, its a Mac. You're not running the installer on the Hack, you're just using the createinstallmedia function to, well, create install media. All you need is copy of an unmodified installation app in Applications, which OS X won't give two shits about. You could trash it once you're done.

Wait, couldn’t I clone it to the other drive using SuperDuper?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:23 pm 

Clone what? The installer app? Until you run createinstallmedia you don't have bootable installation media. There's nothing to clone from until that's complete.

Your Hackintosh install of OS X is unlikely to work particularly well on a straight up Mac, or at least it'll require additional work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:29 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Clone what? The installer app? Until you run createinstallmedia you don't have bootable installation media. There's nothing to clone from until that's complete.

Your Hackintosh install of OS X is unlikely to work particularly well on a straight up Mac, or at least it'll require additional work.

Clone the whole drive to the other drive

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:31 pm 

Which is my second paragraph. Hackintosh installs aren't Macintosh installs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:12 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Which is my second paragraph. Hackintosh installs aren't Macintosh installs.

Ahhh I meant MacBook 4,1 to MacBook Pro 3,1 which I mistakenly wiped and I should not have done. Yosemite using Super or CCC.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:54 pm 

Ah. That should work so long as the 3,1 supports the OS on the 4,1. You will likely need to partition the disk before cloning. You may also need to run some kind of cache cleaner to clear any remnants of the old hardware.

Personally I'd find cloning to be more work than createinstallmedia.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:55 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Ah. That should work so long as the 3,1 supports the OS on the 4,1. You will likely need to partition the disk before cloning. You may also need to run some kind of cache cleaner to clear any remnants of the old hardware.

Personally I'd find cloning to be more work than createinstallmedia.

The 4,1 is on an unsupported OS (Yosemite, Early 2008), and patched, the MacBook 3,1 Pro was on SL. But the thing is the MacBook Pro gives a WHITE SCREEN EVERY TIME I TRY to boot off usb!

Will it boot off TechTools Deluxe CD? Im gonna try that..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:06 pm 

Does it white screen when holding command option P R at power on and continuing to hold until it chimes?

The nice thing about doing a USB install is it'll handle the firmware updates you need in order to run the OS you're installing.

I wonder if it has the recovery logic in there? power on and hold Command R. It will white screen for a long freakin' time but eventually (3-6 minutes) should pop up an internet globe if it can't find a recovery partition on the internal drive.

It almost sounds like there's a firmware password on the system and it's ignoring any keypresses you hold down (it'll white screen because it skips to booting off the internal drive in the event of an unsupported keypress). Only Cmd-Opt-P-R and Cmd-R work with a firmware password. Hence these two suggestions. Although, well, option works too. Hmm. Pulling the battery and charger and hitting the power button for 4 seconds to wipe the SMC might help. 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, 4 seconds.

You could try pulling the HD and see if that changes anything. It's available from inside the battery bay, its' behind a 2 or 3 or 4 philips screws. If it starts acting normal with the HD out then you know the HD is the cause... I'd stick the sucker in a USB case/dock and write zeros to it with extreme prejudice, but Terminal isn't for everyone.