XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:19 pm 
he who stacks pork

• Mid 2012 Mac Pro
• Radeon RX 580 8GB graphics card
• 16GB RAM
• Main boot drive 1TB SSD

Looks like I need to update my iPhone iOS version to 13 from 12.4 for some crap I need to install for work. I realise this will probably disable the usability between my iPhone and my Mac Pro (iTunes, Photos, etc., I am assuming will become broken). Updating to Mojave will fix it, supposedly. I should add that my work-supplied 15" Mac Pro runs Mojave really nicely with no issues. Questions:

• What applications can I expect to NOT work anymore on my Mac Pro?
• Will I still be able to boot from my 10.13.6 volume?
• If I put the stock Radeon 5770 back into it, will I be able to boot into my 10.7.5 volume?
• Do I need to fart around with any firmware stuff, and if so, will it cripple backward-compatibility stuff?
• Will I get a proper boot screen with the Radeon RX 580 in Mojave? (I don’t with High Sierra)

First-world questions.

Thanks!!!

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:40 am 

I've just regressed from 10.14 to 10.13.6. My reasons:

- Mojave is particularly irritating nagware for Catalina.
- It has several annoying bugs that will never be fixed (the mail foregrounding one if it effects you is particularly irritating).
- It offers no reason for it's existance other than dark mode. Woooooooooo.
- It doesn't run particularly well

Your apps will mostly still work from High Sierra. It'll just tell you they aren't compatible every time you run them (see the guide at the end for how to stop that).

If you go to Mojave on a different drive and keep your High Sierra drive, you can still boot into High Sierra (pull the drive out and do a clean full install to a new one ideally. Just to be sure, it's how I did it).

If you upgrade you will need to do the firmware upgrade, which is a double edged sword. Massive plusses are that it'll allow non-Apple PCI-E cards that run at 2.5GT/s to run at the full 5GT/s, and it allows booting from an NVME drive for High Sierra and Mojave. Just bear in mind that I'm fairly certain that older OSes stop working with the new firmware and you cannot regress once you go to it. FWIW you do not need to go to Mojave to get the firmware if you want to do the upgrade, just do the first stage of the upgrade (with the very latest version of the Mojave installer to make sure you get 144.0.0.0.0) then quit.

Possibly the most useful page ever: The Definitive Classic Mac Pro Upgrade Guide. I can't stress enough to use the very latest Mojave installer as some of the earlier ones firmware can brick your cMP...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:11 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks for the link juansolo! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:02 am 

To check compatible applications:

https://roaringapps.com/

To remove Catalina nag in Mojave, this works for me. (Allows notification of pending "real" update. I think that a Security Update notification can only happen from an APFS volume. HFS+ will show other updates, such as Safari, but not SecUpd.)

sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina";
defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist LastRecommendedMajorOSBundleIdentifier;
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0;
killall Dock;
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier;
softwareupdate --list

Or maybe just this (forget now which one I used)

defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist LastRecommendedMajorOSBundleIdentifier;
killall Dock;
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier

This one works, but don't think it will persist through a restart.

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0; killall Dock

Note: Should you wish to revert, or just in case something gets screwed up, before running either of the first 2 commands have a backup of

~Library/Preferences/com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.plist, which will be modified.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:59 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks W.:)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:20 am 
he who stacks pork

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I’ll hold off for now.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:25 am 

If your machine is a dual CPU version, don't upgrade to 10.14. There is a persistent audio bug that Apple never fixed in dual CPU machines with Mojave. Trust me, 10.13.6 is the highest your machine should ever go. Mojave is just a royal clusterfuck on the cMPs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:06 pm 

Squishy Tia wrote:
If your machine is a dual CPU version, don't upgrade to 10.14. There is a persistent audio bug that Apple never fixed in dual CPU machines with Mojave. Trust me, 10.13.6 is the highest your machine should ever go. Mojave is just a royal clusterfuck on the cMPs.

Hi Tia; Seems the dual 5680/5690 processor audio works OK in Mojave. 5500 series
owners have reported audio problems.

Mojave running In parallels VM sounds a little funky (audio fidelity), but that's
probably a parallels VM issue (that they have (so far) refused to address).

I'm still not going to make Mojave my "go to" OS in my cMP. Its only redeeming
feature is dark mode. I can emulate that close enough myself with a dark desktop
pic and custom preference settings.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:56 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
To remove Catalina nag in Mojave, this works for me. (Allows notification of pending "real" update. I think that a Security Update notification can only happen from an APFS volume. HFS+ will show other updates, such as Safari, but not SecUpd.)

sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina";
killall Dock;
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier;
softwareupdate --list

In High Sierra I just used softwareupdate to ignore macOS Catalina, macOS Mojave, and macOSInstallerNotification_GM and the nags are gone. Where I would get nagged shortly after logging in, now across several reboots, including installing the latest security and other updates, I have peace and quiet. Not sure if I'll get nagged for the next security update or not, guess time will tell.

I think the defaults commands are only needed in Mojave and higher, as the older System Preferences doesn't have the little red dot everyone's upset about.