XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:24 am 

I've upgraded my hackintosh MP 5,1 SMBIOS to Catalina. This question relates to how to now do interim updates ie. 10.15.2 -10.15.3. I have succeeded in doing this but in a very clumsy way that may not work going forward. Basically, I temporarily used SMBIOS imac 14,2 to apply the update and then switched back to MP 5,1 which works much better with my system.

The question is about how to use the -no_compat_check boot argument? It is supposed to circumvent the compatability check. I added the argument to Clover in two locations...see pics...

Boot Pic
Attachment:
Screen Shot 1.png [146.53 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

NVRAM pic
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2.png [119.33 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Still the update attempt fails with the message "This software is not supported on your system". Also my 10.15.2 system which is completely functional never 'sees' the updates using software update from preferences. In other words there is never a notice of a new security update, I have to be alert to those thru other web sites.

Maybe I am missing some simple technique or something in applying that boot argument?

It's no great problem using the imac 14,2 SMBIOS but that seems to be the last SMBIOS that works on my system and I think Apple will soon remove that compatibility leaving me with no way to complete updates if I can't figure out the -no_compat_check boot argument.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:59 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

You're working well over my head & capabilities. :coffee:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:34 pm 

The 14,2 SMBIOS is now required as a MP SMBIOS of any kind will fail in Catalina. All real Mac Pros prior to the Trash Can Pro are now unsupported officially. They can run the OS fine, but are blocked from installing it outside of something like the dosdude patcher, which I do not recommend on a hackintosh. The iMac 14,2 is, however, fully supported and will be for some time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:00 pm 

Squishy Tia wrote:
The 14,2 SMBIOS is now required as a MP SMBIOS of any kind will fail in Catalina. All real Mac Pros prior to the Trash Can Pro are now unsupported officially. They can run the OS fine, but are blocked from installing it outside of something like the dosdude patcher, which I do not recommend on a hackintosh. The iMac 14,2 is, however, fully supported and will be for some time.

Thanks Squishy Tia, understood. I did use 14,2 SMBIOS to do the update, but my question really relates to the use of the -no_compat_check boot argument. My understanding is that it’s purpose is this exact situation I’ve described...that of ‘disabling’ the check for model thereby allowing OS and subsequent updates to install on unsupported models. Obviously in my case it didn’t work.

I’m very glad to hear that 14,2 will be supported for sometime to come. It may be the last functional SMBIOS allowing install for my hardware.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:56 pm 

The compatibility check argument may also be looking to see if SIP is enabled or disabled. If enabled, it may refuse to run for obvious reasons. However, it is not advised to have SIP disabled.